Changing Piston rings on 2.4l - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
bkspear
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Changing Piston rings on 2.4l

Anyone here with a 2.4l change out their piston rings? Did you do it yourself? Do I need to pull the engine to get the pistons out? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-04-2021, 11:52 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not a 2.4 guy, But if you can remove the heads and oil pan, dont see why ya cant pull the pistons

That being said, the block *should* be at a minimum honed out, if there is a ridge at the top it should be removed

My personal thoughts are that if the rings are in need of replacing, other parts are just as likely to be in need as well
post #3 of 3 Old 05-08-2021, 11:13 AM
Jeepsr4me

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2...r-oil-2743274/

The 2.4 is a pain in *** to swap rings on pistons.... There is a lot of crap that must come off to get the pistons out. The head requires the timing belt removed. To get that you got to pull everything off the front of engine. There is a pulley that requires a puller to get off and it has to be the bolts screwed in the pulley not the jaw type. Then the timing crank sprocket. Then there is a balance shaft sitting on the bottom of the block in the way so you have to drop that which requires removing the timing chain.... Bunch of other so its way easier to pull and do all the work and put back in.
the above link I posted was my experience with the engien

I would pull the engine. Its not that hard and gives you way less back pain than in vehicle engine work.

Why do you think the rings need replacing? You can find low mile 2.4 Dodge caravan engines that will bolt right in. I did it..

I have torn down 3 of the 2.4s so far and 100s of 2.5 and 4.0,,,, I hate the 2.4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in