Center console / subwoofer help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
ericspin

Center console / subwoofer help

I'm trying to get to my subwoofer at the bottom of my center console, but can't figure out how to get to it. Any suggestions?

My subwoofer sounds very distorted, though the dealership says that its not bad. I want to look at it and see if it needs physical readjusting or cleaning.

I appreciate the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Chris_Ryan

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Take out the console. There are torx bolts (and i think 10 mm) under the cup holders... take out the rubber bottoms to the cupholder and bolts will appear. If you try to lift it out and it still is holding on there is another screw somewhere. I put a prox sensor under my console about 2 months ago, and it took all of 5 minute to get the console out.

Edit: There is no way to adjust the factory sub (other than just turning down the bass on the h/u) and cleaning it? It is not a VCR... If it is distorted, turn the bass down, if it is at max, that is WAY to high... you are not going to be thumping down the road with a factory sub....

Edit #2: it is a nice day and I need to adjust my Prox Sensor, so If you wait till later on today I might be able give you Exact sizes for the Torx bolts... and depending on how nice I feel step by step directions I have to go get my tools from my shop first. So I won't have info til roughly 6 pm (unless I get lazy and wait til tommorow to do it)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Who says there is nowhere to run in New England and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Last edited by Chris_Ryan; 08-26-2006 at 12:52 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Chris_Ryan

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Removing the Center Console.

OK, I am taking a break from working so here are your directions.
  • Remove shift knob.
  • Gently lift shift boot from console.
  • Under the shift boot, near 5th gear / Reverse there is (1) 10 mm bolt - Remove
  • Remove Iced Coffee from cup holder and place in a secure location so that it does not spill during console removal.
  • Remove rubber cup holder insert.
  • Remove (1) 10 mm bolt from under rubber cup holder insert.
  • Remove front of console. It is not neccecary to unplug Passengers Airbag Switch, the wires are long enough for the fron console to sit on the drivers floor.
*** NOTE: if you plan on unplugging Passangers Airbag Switch Disconect the battery and let sit for 5 minutes before unplugging switch!!! Do not reconect the Battery until Switch is reconected.***

Reason is sometimes it will toss on the Airbag warning light on the dash because it will see an open circuit.
  • Remove Rubber insert in rear cup holders.
  • Remove (2) T30 Torx Bolts
  • Lift out rear part of console slightly, so you can unplug the Amp harness for the sub.
  • Remove rear console

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

post #4 of 7 Old 08-26-2006, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
ericspin

Thank you

Thank you so much! I will give that a try and let you know how it goes.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-26-2006, 05:47 PM
nhlbill

2015 JK Wrangler 

I had to see mine when i first bought it so I spent a couple hours taking mine apart as described above. When I finally got down to just the sub and sub housing with built in amp, I was pretty dissapointed. I was thinking there might be an easy way to upgrade the stock sub, but not the way DC made it.

I did stuff some poly fill in the plastic sub housing behind the speaker, and that did help a bit. Then i went and bought an Infinity Basslink and mounted it behind the rear seat. Tapped into the rear speakers in the sound pods for high level inputs and ....tada.....much better bass!

Anyway, the short answer is there is no way to upgrade or change the stock sub sound or "clean it up", outside of adding aftermarket equipment.

Gone but not forgotten:
05 TJ Sport
RK 5.5" Long Arm, 1" Daystar BL
M.O.R.E. Bombproof 1" MML
AA SYE, RE CV Driveshaft
4.56's, ARB Super 30 Front, Detroit D44 w/Alloys Rear
35" BFG MT's
RK X-Factor steering, Currie Anti-Rock,
Nth oil pan skid, Rock Crusher Diff covers
Line X
OBA (Viair 450c System)
Trail Gear Rockers
Custom rear bumper/swing out
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Chris_Ryan

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspin
Thank you so much! I will give that a try and let you know how it goes.
NP. If you have any more questions you can PM me or AIM @ the same name.

Good Luck, Like I said there is no user servicable parts so once you have it out, you are just going to look @ a big black box...

Quote:
post #7 of 7 Old 08-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

stupid side question, do i need a sub? i have one in my console and would rather have the room for other electronics. i never really blast my music but would hate to hinder the system and know little to nothing about stereo's, sorry if this is a really stupid question

"If you don't have time to do it right, you are going to need time to do it over."
'05 Red Flame TJ Rubi UnLtd

"Teach a man how to take his doors off and he will enjoy his Jeep for a day,
teach him to search the forums and he will enjoy his Jeep for life!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in