• 1 Post By fortz
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
samiam2714

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Center console sub woofer removal

Hey guys, my center console is pretty jacked up from my dog and some hard love over the years. I'm planning on installing an ammo can for my center console.

I miss the deep storage from my '01 TJ. The real question is, I need a little help with the wiring and removing the sub, or at least leaving it open to put a sub under the seat or something.

I found the diagram for the audio wiring but I was mostly wondering if any of you have had the wiring open and know what may be involved in removing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yuMMyZj2foPW17B56

sorry for it being truncated. I was researching and reading as I wrote this.

"Hind sight is always 20x20, that's why they don't make glasses to fit your butt."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NO longer updated

Last edited by samiam2714; 12-02-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: picture not working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 05:13 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know if this will help or not, but when I replaced my subwoofer in the console I just unplugged to the 2 speaker wires and replaced it. I am sure (if you want to use stock setup) you could just tape off those wires and leave them handy for your NEW sub you decided to put under seat.

I don't know how the stock TJ amp is wired though for that sub. If you want to put in your own amp etc...

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
samiam2714

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thank You so much

"Hind sight is always 20x20, that's why they don't make glasses to fit your butt."

NO longer updated

post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 06:46 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I recall correctly, the entire speaker and amp assembly has a connector in the harness. I believe it's under the console area, toward the gear shift/trans shift.

Unplug there and the entire subwoofer unit is disabled.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 PM
fortz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What 2j said. Don’t run an aftermarket sub off stock head unit. It’ll sound like a dead cat having a dump.
samiam2714 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortz View Post
Donít run an aftermarket sub off stock head unit. Itíll sound like a dead cat having a dump.
I prefer the live cat taking a dump sound.
Attached Thumbnails
cat poop (3).jpg  
samiam2714 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
samiam2714

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thank you everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NO longer updated
post #8 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortz View Post
What 2j said. Don’t run an aftermarket sub off stock head unit. It’ll sound like a dead cat having a dump.
Although I do agree the sub would sound better with an aftermarket amp running it. I did replace mine with a better sub. Made a big difference in sound from the stock POS sub that came with it.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 01:52 PM
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on getting a different head unit, the factory ones are garbage, even an $80 cheap unit will sound 10x better. Get one with an rca sub out.

Personally I love my Rockford Fosgate Punch p300-10. Fits upright with the seat flipped up or lays down for less rattle with the seat folded forward, has a remote gain you can mount up front, has a built in amp, and thumps pretty good. Tight enough it suits a wide range of music. I've had mine in thunderstorms and covered in snow and mud and despite not being waterproof by any means it's still going strong. And it's really quick to disconnect to get out of the way, it's like it was made for the TJ.

Makes me wonder why I haven't thought about opening up my center console storage. Right now my winch controller takes up all of that tiny space

82 Wagoneer Limited WIP
87 MJ work truck
05 TJ SC'd Rubicon daily
06 TJ SE sold
post #10 of 11 Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
samiam2714

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I donít have a choice but to replace the factory head. My volume knob is possessed. If I turn it too fast the sound goes up and down by 1 if I turn really slow it may go up or not. And sometimes it does what its supposed to with out me looking at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NO longer updated
post #11 of 11 Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah I forgot to mention I changed out my head unit. That made a BIG difference in the sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in