The Carolina Totaled TJ Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Carolina Totaled TJ Build

A few months ago this guy I have been doing some work for totaled his jeep. He was going about 45 mph and t-boned a F-150. He ended up selling it to us for the right price. So now Performance Innovations in Wilmington, North Carolina will be turning it into an extreme LCG rock crawler.

Here is what we started with:
- 1997 TJ
- 4 cylinder 5 speed
- 2.5" lift
- 32" Super Swampers
- Lockrite in the front

We had to replace the whole front clip, but instead we highlined a junk-yard hood and ditched the fenders for a solid once piece fender-to-fender guard. It is constructed from one solid tube running from the front of the Jeep, down to a rocker guard, and back up to a comp-cutted rear. This took a while for us to make but was well worth it. We tested our creation at Uwharrie in North Carolina for a weekend and they worked just like we had hoped. Besides some paint missing and scratches there are no dents or bending.

After the test run it was time to kick the build into high gear. The TJ was a 4 cylinder with a Dana 35 rear axle. First thing we did was ditch the rear axle for an 8.8. We then stretched the rear axle about 10 inches back by cutting the frame and building our own.

Now we really had to do something with this little motor. This 4 cylinder wasn't going to move our 36" TSL's very easy so we opted to build a stroker motor. A 4.0 block wasn't very hard to find, so we had it machined into a 4.7L and we put it back together with the right parts.

This was the first test run of the 4.7 stroker TJ with a front highline, 4.10 gears, 2.5" of lift, 36" TSL's, and a 10" stretch.

Since we are crazy drivers here, we would like to live another day after a nasty roll. It was time for a roll cage to be constructed. It is going to be made out of 1 3/4" tubing with mostly .120 wall and some .95 wall.

Here is the start of the cage. TJ's look pretty cool without cages don't they?

That is where it is sitting today. We are working on finishing the cage and then we have a few more things to do before we wheel it again. The front springs were meant for a 4 cylinder with no winch, and we now have a 4.7 motor with a heavy front bumper and winch. The front suspension needs tweaking, along with a bellyup/sye and it will be hitting the rocks again.

This is going to be a somewhat fast build so keep watching as I update this

2000 TJ Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
GotLime

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. Let me know when you take it back to Uwharrie. I'd like to see it in action.

Was the first pic taken at Kodak rock?
post #3 of 50 Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, totally nasty man. I'll be watching this like a hawk. I love the one piece fender/rocker/fender. Very innovative and sturdy.

OlllllllO

IndyORV

post #4 of 50 Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLime View Post
Looks good. Let me know when you take it back to Uwharrie. I'd like to see it in action.

Was the first pic taken at Kodak rock?
Yeah, that was at Kodak rock. I have a ton of pictures from that Uwharrie trip. It was with my local club.

Guys, keep in mind that this Jeep is our toy, but it is also a way for Performance Innovations to test their products. If something they make can survive the abuse we give it, then it can survive anything.

This first shot was on Rocky Mountain Loop

2000 TJ Sport

-
post #5 of 50 Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
LongshotXJ

this is a sweet build!! i heard about you guys before...you swapped a 5.7 hemi into a couple jeeps. They were pretty sweet. ill be watching this build closely
post #6 of 50 Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes Hemi swaps, we also did a 6.1 Hemi Prowler seen here Performance Innovations :: Custom Fabrication and Motorsports

We are about to start on CRD diesel powered YJ as well as some innovative products available for jeep owners. (think tube fender/high kit as seen on this tj)

2000 TJ Sport

-
post #7 of 50 Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty nice so far. Looking forward to watching this one come together.
post #8 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Buckster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed Me likey so far

Matt Buck
Swope Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
270.765.2181 ext 145

www.swopeauto.com
post #9 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
jmasin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon97TJ View Post
Holy flying jeeps Batman!

'03 Sport, Patriot Blue
'04 C5 Corvette
post #10 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
alex71
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are yall going to drop the rear down any? It looks like it is about 2 inches to tall. Put some stock rear coils in and i think it will be sitting perfect.

2001 jeep wrangler sport / Waggy 44 /FORD 8.8. lockright/ 4.88 / 3/2'' lift,Stretched to 100.5/ Warn x8000i / 35in BF KM2's / AtoZ rockers, cage,/ Poison spyder crusher corners.

Vote for TJOFTY!

post #11 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A few months ago this guy I have been doing some work for totaled his jeep. He was going about 45 mph and t-boned a F-150. He ended up selling it to us for the right price. So now Performance Innovations in Wilmington, North Carolina will be turning it into an extreme LCG rock crawler.

Here is what we started with:
- 1997 TJ
- 4 cylinder 5 speed
- 2.5" lift
- 32" Super Swampers
- Lockrite in the front

We had to replace the whole front clip, but instead we highlined a junk-yard hood and ditched the fenders for a solid once piece fender-to-fender guard. It is constructed from one solid tube running from the front of the Jeep, down to a rocker guard, and back up to a comp-cutted rear. This took a while for us to make but was well worth it. We tested our creation at Uwharrie in North Carolina for a weekend and they worked just like we had hoped. Besides some paint missing and scratches there are no dents or bending.
I see what you did there

Btw that thing is freaking mean. I'm in the club with Brandon frequent the shop. That thing saw the most abuse of any jeep ever when it was last at Uwharrie. To those that know uwharrie, this is the first thing i've seen short of anything on 36's make it over the first and bigger, ledge on kodak rock on the 32's! the underside of it definitely took a beating but it made it almost over the hole thing!

also how bout some good pics of the new front bumper? i've only seen it once

2002 tj sahara 3" lift 35" km2, AtoZ rockers, 8k warn, 4.56 gears, lock-rites front and rear
post #12 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
theAuthority

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes Hemi swaps, we also did a 6.1 Hemi Prowler seen here Performance Innovations :: Custom Fabrication and Motorsports

We are about to start on CRD diesel powered YJ as well as some innovative products available for jeep owners. (think tube fender/high kit as seen on this tj)
[YT]QMoR3_USdUg[/YT]

-Daniel
post #13 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that was the first attempt at a startup. That was a while ago and the Prowler has seen a lot of changes since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbro's View Post
I see what you did there

Btw that thing is freaking mean. I'm in the club with Brandon frequent the shop. That thing saw the most abuse of any jeep ever when it was last at Uwharrie. To those that know uwharrie, this is the first thing i've seen short of anything on 36's make it over the first and bigger, ledge on kodak rock on the 32's! the underside of it definitely took a beating but it made it almost over the hole thing!

also how bout some good pics of the new front bumper? i've only seen it once
Everything was fine because of the engine skid . I wouldn't do anything without one.

I don't have any shots of the new bumper. It is just a prototype anyways. We are using its designs to mass produce one just like it, but with a sweet grill guard/mini stinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex71 View Post
Are yall going to drop the rear down any? It looks like it is about 2 inches to tall. Put some stock rear coils in and i think it will be sitting perfect.
The rear is sitting at about 3" of lift. The reason the front is sagging is because of the heavier motor, bumper, and winch. Those springs were meant for a 4 cylinder with a stock bumper. We are replacing the springs with some 2.5" or 3" springs, whichever will hold the weight better.

2000 TJ Sport

-
post #14 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I have 3" heavy duty coils on order for the front to level it out a little better.

We are half done painting it and will hopefully get it done for a trip to the mountains next weekend

2000 TJ Sport

-
post #15 of 50 Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM
AlTheKillerr

why 4.10s? seems like 4.88s would have been the way to go

Photographer
2000 XJ, 5" lift, 35s, Locked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in