Capability of stock Suspension - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
trance_junkie

Capability of stock Suspension

How capable is the stock suspension?

Im just starting into this Jeep thing and Im not too familiar with hittin' the trails, and Im young ha. Well, I obviously need to learn what Im doing and before I invest in a suspension lift, how far will this spacer kit and 33's get me?

Josh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-22-2004, 11:47 AM
CSUbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_junkie
How capable is the stock suspension?

Im just starting into this Jeep thing and Im not too familiar with hittin' the trails, and Im young ha. Well, I obviously need to learn what Im doing and before I invest in a suspension lift, how far will this spacer kit and 33's get me?

Josh
I wheeled my stock 99 tj plenty of times, works fine. I mean with the right driver you can pull some big stuff in a stocker. I mean you aren't going to be running the hardest stuff your first time out anyways. A spacer kit and 33s will be the same as a stock suspension if your not too familiar with the trails/ driving. PM me if you have any more questions, or aim rmg786.

Ryno
post #3 of 8 Old 12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The TJ's stock suspension is capable of doing far more offroad than some would even imagine their Jeeps with awesome aftermarket suspensions are capable of doing. It's amazing how many with really well built Jeeps never push them beyond what a stock Jeep can do. In stock form, the TJ's suspension does very well on most offroad trails.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
GoTopless

Check the search if you want to learn about lifts and such, there are a million threads on the subject
post #5 of 8 Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 PM
JDGordon

Try and hook up with a local 4x4 club in your area.
Those guys/gals will be familiar with the type of terrain for your area and be able to advise you on what mods are best for wheeling there.
I've often read on different Jeep forums that it's smart to drive it bone stock for a while to get a feel for the inherent capabilities of your Jeep.
Also I recommend buying "The 4-wheelers bible" .
Welcome to the "club".
Jon
post #6 of 8 Old 12-22-2004, 12:08 PM
qwiksilver

Stick to these forums long enough and you will find a wheeling guru. Remember: never wheel alone. Too dangerous.

I have a friend who is thought around these parts to be loco. He has his on a set of 31" mt's and that's it. Poor little Jeep is beat to death...but he keeps up with the bigger Jeeps in many cases.

Jeep is the most capable vehicle right out of the box. I wheeled mine before it even had plates. On it's little street tires I tackled stuff and surprised the hell out of myself.

Remember that you are driving the standard by which all others are judged.

And welcome to the madness that is Jeep.

Crickett

Here at the office I'm this wild woman with a wrench...on the trail I'm a slightly confused female with a box of tools and only half a clue.

Jeep built and maintained by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sylmar, California
post #7 of 8 Old 12-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Gritz

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You'll find out that your Jeep has way more than enough capability to get you stuck further away from civilization than almost everything else out there...even in stock form!

all kidding aside, a HUGE part of the equation is the driver! Have fun!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Jeeponrock

Disconnect the swaybar, and that thing will amaze you as you learn to drive it. The best way to learn to 4wheel is with a stock rig. It keeps you out of most of the really scary situations.

1992 YJ SOA 8.8 Detroit D30 nv4500 but getting ready for a BIG change
www.jeepbuilders.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in