Can you help diagnose overheating issue? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
krakahead

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you help diagnose overheating issue?

Need a Jeep guru to help diagnose and resolve why this poor Jeep keeps losing it's cool?
I have tried everything... to no avail.
This video covers everything instead of having to read all symptoms and such...
Is there an underlying problem I have missed? Or am I just pushing it beyond capacity?
I estimate considering gear and accessories an extra weight load of 1150 lbs of gear above stock.
It only does it on the highway during 100+ days in the desert.

*Update, reinstalling old temp sensor solved the wild temp fluctuations. The new NAPA temp sensor was bad.
More testing indicates it is overheating, not just a sensor or gauge issue.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
An IR thermometer is cheap and is easy to use on the thermostat housing to verify, they're cheap enough there's no reason NOT to have one. Did you use OEM sensors, oem thermostat, correct rotation water pump? OEM aluminum radiators outperform copper radiators. Did you have the radiator cap pressure tested? You can have the parts store test it for you before you leave, it's not uncommon for them to be bad out of the box. Same for sensors especially non oem ones. Thermostats are also known to be bad out of the box some not opening all the way for instance or opening at the wrong temps.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=IR+Thermo...ref=nb_sb_noss

Typically highway overheating is caused by a water flow problem and low speed overheating is caused by an airflow issue. These are just rules of thumb but can get you started on the right track most times.

I'm not sure how susceptible the TJ is to getting airbubbles in the system during cooling system work like the XJ is but it can cause some pretty weird temperature spikes.

You are a little over your payload limit if your gear weight is accurate. I think TJs had a 1000 lb payload capacity. What are you running for tire size? Stock gearing or regeared? Auto or manual? Year?

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #3 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
krakahead

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks downs

32" Maxxis Bighorn tires
Manual
3.07 stock gears
98 Tj

In the past few years have put in 2 fan clutches, 2 thermostats and 2 temp sensors because if failures... Many parts were bad from the box and I try and only buy from pro shops, not Auto Zone or Pep Boys etc.
The temp sensor that was fluctuating was bad from the box, from NAPA... I put my old sensor back in.

post #4 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That the temperature jumps suddenly to where it's overheating makes me think the thermostat is defective and hanging up/sticking closed. I'd install a Stant SuperStat 195 degree thermostat and see if that doesn't help. Is the system bled of all possible air?

Also, few aftermarket radiators cool even nearly as well as the OE Mopar radiator does. Really.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
You'll find most folks who work on Jeeps a lot espeically the 4.0L and 2.5L to suggest OEM only. NAPA has a few different product lines and the level of quality can be kind of confusing. And many of their parts are now coming from the same places as the other big box stores. NAPA ain't what it used to be for many things.

One test you can do with that radiator cap without getting it tested with a cap tester is to get it up to operating temperature and give the upper rad hose a squeeze. It should be pretty firm. If it's squishy like there's no pressure in the system the cap should be suspect. I got a bad OEM cap out of the box wouldn't hold even a pound of pressure. The NAPA cap I replaced it with worked just fine, go figure haha.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #6 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 06:03 PM
Jeepsr4me

1st thing I would do is get a manual gauge and run it to see just what the temps are doing. Can do a temporary installation of the gauge just to verify it really is running hot.
I dont even try to route it thru fire wall. Just run it around thru the pass window and set on the seat so I can watch it.
You say its been doing it for years, at what speeds is it happening?
post #7 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
krakahead

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I'll work on setting up something to read actual temp independently.
I hooked up a BlueDriver OBD scanner and live monitor to confirm temperature with the dash, but that feeds off of the same sensor/computer feeding the dash.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
krakahead

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry, I'll look into that "Stant SuperStat 195 degree thermostat" I replaced the thermostat twice in the past few years to be sure but I haven't tried that one. The last one was stuck open when I pulled it.

Hereís the radiator. Itís a 3 row Copper Brass model by CSF
I replaced the oem when it cracked to an unrelated issue.
http://csfimports.com/copper-brass-radiators/
post #9 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Definitely only a Stant or Mopar thermostat.
Is be willing to bet that the factory radiator has better coming capability than the one in there now.

Get out and explore.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
krakahead

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the issue with the previous radiator as well. It's been going on for at least 8 years. Every Summer. Regardless of all the stuff I have replaced. It haunts me and ruins each desert trip.
post #11 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakahead View Post
Thanks Jerry, I'll look into that "Stant SuperStat 195 degree thermostat" I replaced the thermostat twice in the past few years to be sure but I haven't tried that one. The last one was stuck open when I pulled it.

Here’s the radiator. It’s a 3 row Copper Brass model by CSF
I replaced the oem when it cracked to an unrelated issue.
http://csfimports.com/copper-brass-radiators/
More radiator rows do not equate to better cooling. Few 2 or 3 row aftermarket radiators cool as well as the OE single row Mopar radiator does. Jeep actually replaced the TJ's original 2 row radiator with a better design 1 row radiator for better cooling characteristics. It's VERY hard to beat the cooling ability and reserve cooling capacity of the OE Mopar radiator. Many cooling issues are fixed by nothing more than replacing an aftermarket radiator with the OE Mopar. True.
downs likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #12 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
krakahead

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. It's been several years since I replaced the rad. I'd be willing to try it again.
Would you have a link for the 1 core? I want to make sure I have the right one..
post #13 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 08:28 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The temp bouncing around and spiking sounds to me like there's air in the system.

Regarding the OEM radiator, you want part number 55037652AA for your TJ with manual transmission.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #14 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
krakahead

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is this correct? It doesn't list a 98 TJ

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...5037652aa.html
post #15 of 31 Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fitment listings/charts vary depending on what site you visit. Part number 55037652AA superseded the original '98 part number 52080183AB.
https://www.moparpartsamerica.com/pa...&siteid=214583

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Tags
diagnose , jeep , overheating , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in