Can't push clutch pedal in - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
adam5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can't push clutch pedal in

Hi gang, dealing with my first Jeep issue in 3 years of ownership. Driving home last night and the clutch pedal falls to the floor. Comes back up but then I can't push it back in at all, even trying to stand on it, won't budge. I made it home and checked things out this AM. I found this thread which seems like an identical issue, so I'm thinking I need a clutch. 133k miles so I'm due.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...seized-685777/

The first thing I did was pull the slave cylinder out to see if I could work the clutch pedal, and it still wouldn't go. So I was hoping it was just an issue with the hydraulics until I saw that thread. I pulled the master cylinder out as well and tried to push the rod in by hand but it wouldn't go. I opened the cap and drained all the fluid out and it now seems to work fine.

So my question is, should I order new master and slave at the same time as the clutch or is it likely that it was just the internals that let go and the hydraulics are fine? I'm sorta leaning towards just the clutch, since I can have a shop switch that out and then I could do the hydraulics myself if they are bad too.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My 98' did the exact same thing when it had only 96,000 miles on it.It ended being a small clip broke and tore up the pressure plate.I just replaced the entire clutch(LuK),slave and master cylinders too.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
adam5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OK I was messing around with it some more and seem to have no idea how the system works so I've got some more questions. I had the master and slave out of the car and they seemed to be fine. Put the master back in with the slave unhooked from the clutch, removed the cap from the master, and pumped the slave until no bubbles came out. What next? I pushed the slave all the way in and then had someone put the cap on the master, thinking that it would hold the slave in, but it went back to being extended. Got in the car, the pedal fell to the floor, pumped it a few times and then once again it became totally firm and I couldn't push it. What's going on here? I just don't know anything about how these are supposed to work, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam
1997 Sahara 5spd - White / Spice
1997 911 Targa - Ocean Blue / Classic Gray

post #4 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
adam5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update with some new questions - took it to the shop and they said it needed a new clutch. They put one in, I picked it up tonight and was very disappointed. On all my other cars whenever I changed the clutch the pedal feel improved and was smoother. This just doesn't feel good. I brought it up to the shop and they looked at me like I was nuts. Before the feel was very consistent across the whole pedal travel - now there is about an inch of no effort, then gradually stiffens up until it engages right at the bottom of the travel. With a new clutch I can get that it would engage closer to the floor, but this just doesn't seem right. Its hard to describe but before it had a quality feel, now it is like an old Kia. I told them I'd drive it for a bit and see if it improved. Anyone else put in a new clutch and have the pedal feel change for the worse?

Adam
post #5 of 9 Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
1CleanTJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

when i put a new clutch in my TJ, it still grabbed higher up like it did with the worn clutch. just how it is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- CLICK !!! AND SHARE
post #6 of 9 Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did you put in a OEM Luk clutch? I replaced mine and it was super easy to push in with no effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 9 Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
adam5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's part of the problem, I'm sure. I bought a Sachs clutch online and brought it to them to install but they said they won't install customer's parts since they warranty their work and can't be responsible for what I'm bringing them. OK, I get that, plus they want to mark up their parts, but I brought my own so I knew exactly what was going in the car. I agree to take mine back as long as they use an OEM clutch. So they do the work and this happens. I look up the part number of their clutch kit and it is an Advance Auto Perfection Clutch Kit . I brought it by there today, he still says it is fine but agrees to try and bleed it again anyway, so we will see what happens tomorrow.

Adam
post #8 of 9 Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM
GOquisso29

Hi guys, I have pretty similar problem with my 2004 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD. I did replace the master cylinder very recently and the clutch kit including the dual mass wheel, but the problem still the same. The clutch pedal is very stiff... any thoughts there?
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 PM
TroyL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't sound right . With a new clutch ( OEM ) your pedal should be really easy to press not harder. I would let them bleed it and if it still doesn't feel right, Take it to another shop and have them test drive it and get thier opinion?
(make sure it a free test drive) It wont take them more than a minute.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in