Cam Shaft Sensor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
fox86

Cam Shaft Sensor - Updated

So i drive an 05 TJ, got it about a month ago, everything is still stock. Wednesday morning i started it and it was squealing really loud, woke my dad up and he came out of the house to see what was going on. Luckily he was staying home for the day and let me take his truck to work and he would take the jeep to his buddies shop. By the time he got there the jeep had warmed up and start making the noise. I checked on here and couldn't really figure out what it might be but alot of post said that they had it and it comes when its really cold out and gone once it warmed up. Today i get in the jeep this morning and its making the sound but not as bad, today though it didnt go away so i took it back to my dad's buddies and he says its the camshaft sensor, and checked it out and can get it and install if for 300$.

My question is does that sound right? Is it easy to do if i can find a camshaft sensor? and is there anyone around that would be able to lend a hand?

Last edited by fox86; 03-05-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
SeanCucf

2002 TJ Wrangler 

no that doesn't sound right, in a couple ways. The noise, from the way you describe it, sounds more like a belt noise. Second, the camshaft position sensor is a $50 part and takes less than 2minutes to change. I would liken it to changing a lightbulb. Two bolts holding it on and plug it in. $300 for just a camshaft sensor change is a complete sham.

However, since you don't seem to have a clear mechanical grasp on it, I can't be sure he didn't mean the sensor and the oil pump shaft together, as the sensor just sits on top of the shaft. I would assume you would experience motor troubles/misfiring if there were problems with either one of those parts, but one can rarely make an accurate guess over the internet with little facts.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
fox86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
However, since you don't seem to have a clear mechanical grasp on it, I can't be sure he didn't mean the sensor and the oil pump shaft together, as the sensor just sits on top of the shaft.

Ok, you're right he did say something about the oil pump shaft using the same sensor? i think, i just took it in on lunch and was in a hurry. I have called another garage that has a jeep parked out front every day and called the guy he said he would take a second look at it for me for free and that if it was just the sensor it would be like 30$.
But if it is the sensor and oil pump shaft together would it then be around 300$? I even called my dads buddy back to make sure he really meant Cam shaft sensor and he said yah, and it would be about an hour or labour
Thanks for the help.

Edit: Also when i check for any codes nothing comes up it just says "done"

post #4 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
SeanCucf

2002 TJ Wrangler 

the shaft making noise would make more sense, as the sensor would certainly be faulty if it were making noise...(ie broken and throwing codes and killing motor). I don't know how much the shaft assemble costs however. It would require more labor too.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
I don't know how much the shaft assemble costs however.
I paid $55 for the part but I agree it doesn't sound like an oil pump shaft or cam sensor problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
fox86

Alright so i took it to another garage and the guy is pretty positive it isnt the cam shaft sensor and that its the belt tensioner. Before we opened the hood he said he thought he knew what it was then listened with his stethoscope(sp?) kind of thing and said that hes sure its that.
Does that make more sense?
He said it will be around 100$ with labour and hes going to drive me to work and come pick me up to get the jeep at the end of the day too, seemed like a geniune guy
post #7 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox86 View Post
Alright so i took it to another garage and the guy is pretty positive it isnt the cam shaft sensor and that its the belt tensioner. Before we opened the hood he said he thought he knew what it was then listened with his stethoscope(sp?) kind of thing and said that hes sure its that.
Does that make more sense?
He said it will be around 100$ with labour and hes going to drive me to work and come pick me up to get the jeep at the end of the day too, seemed like a geniune guy
Yea that sounds better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
fox86

Alright, thanks alot for the help guys.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM
SeanCucf

2002 TJ Wrangler 

yup...much more likely. I'm not sure how someone gets cam sensor from belt noise

hope it all works out.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
fox86

Alright, i feel like this is never ending.
Just got the jeep back and it wasn't the belt tensionor. But I talked to the guy and its not actually the camshaft sensor either. It is the part that the camshaft sensor plugs into. He said there are two bearing in there and they are shot and I need to replace the whole thing.
So now im back to where I started and its going to cost me around 300$ to fix and they won't be able to get the part until Tuesday or wednesday.
Does that make sense to you guys?
And the part was under warrenty for 3 years or 60000kms, im at 57000kms but 3 years was August 08.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did he use a stethoscope or not? It isn't rocket science trying to figure out a loud noise.

In personal experience, the bearing(s) makes a ticking noise for the oil pump drive shaft when they go bad. I guess a squeal is possible.

Overall, he sounds like he doesn't know what hes doing and I would go somewhere else if you haven't already paid a diagnostic fee/deposit.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Hotshot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 2005 just started doing the same thing. I took the belt off to confirm it wasn't a belt tensioner, or idler pulley. Planned on replacing the belt anyways so it was a good time to do it.

I Searched online and what I'm reading is its the oil pump drive, common problem is what I'm reading. Also read that it was a recalled item. I kinda doubt they'd fix it on the recall beings it's a 05, not a big deal though. Napa wants $150.00 for the part.

Looks fairly simple to change, put it on top dead center, unplug the camshaft positioning sensor, remove the hold down bolt, pull it, and pop the new one in. Was reading that the dealer gets around $265.00 parts and labor, for those who don't feel comfortable doing it themselves.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 PM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The OPDA (Oil Pump Drive Assembly) is a known issue on all 05-06 4.0L engines. There are multiple threads on it on this forum. Don't drive it until you get it fixed as it can cause a lot of damage to your engine if it seizes up. The problem is that the upper bushing on the shaft of the OPDA gets starved for lubrication and galls the shaft, creating a lot of drag on the shaft. This wears the drive gear and it's mating drive gear on the cam shaft. If the shaft seizes, the gear on one of both will disintegrate, which stops the oil pump from spinning, while also sending metal particles through your engine.
The fix is to replace the defective original equipment LDI unit with a unit manufactured by Crown. Don't have the dealer replace it with another defective LDI unit. The recall done in 2005 did not address this design defect, so all OEM LDI units (both Rev B and Rev E), are still likely to have this issue. The good news is that if you aren't throwing any codes yet, you can use the target wheel of the OPDA to ensure you have your engine at TDC on the compression stroke in order to ensure the new unit is timed correctly. And always reuse your OEM sensor, and save the Crown sensor as a spare. You don't even need to undo the connector for the sensor, just unbolt it from the OEM unit and bolt it onto the Crown unit. There are some good videos on YouTube that will help you understand this repair. It only takes 15-30 minutes to do and requires a 3/4 in socket and normal sized 1/2 drive socket wrench to spin the engine around to TDC on compression stroke, a 13mm wrench to undo the retaining bolt for the OPDA, and a 10mm wrench to undo the retaining bolt for the sensor. Oh and the Crown OPDA costs less than $110.

Here's a link to buy the Crown OPDA:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/51004_0060.htm

Here is the video I made after doing mine the last time:

I like this video the best for showing how to align the OPDA before removal:

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's
post #14 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Hotshot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks LJ Dave. I'll take your advice and go with the Crown parts. Appreciate the info.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Hotshot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Those videos are great. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in