1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJ4Jim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Caliper problems

Hello! So my old front passenger disk brake caliper was sticking (only going in, and not releasing), so I replaced it, bled it, and tried it. My problem now is that while I can see the brake pressurizing and depressurizing, the pads don’t come all the way off. Once again, I can see the piston pushing And pulling, but it doesn’t pull back enough to release. It releases enough I can spin the wheel hub by hand, but there is still a bit of a grinding noise and some resistance. Any ideas of what this could be caused by?

Nof-z
Organist, SCUBA Diver, Russian, and of coarse, Jeep lover

TJ FOR LIFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 12:38 PM
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do a complete brake line flush at each corner and refill with fresh fluid, then try again.
Ironhead likes this.

If you come to a fork in the road take it.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 02:12 PM
LumberjackLloyd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nof-z View Post
Hello! So my old front passenger disk brake caliper was sticking (only going in, and not releasing), so I replaced it, bled it, and tried it. My problem now is that while I can see the brake pressurizing and depressurizing, the pads donít come all the way off. Once again, I can see the piston pushing And pulling, but it doesnít pull back enough to release. It releases enough I can spin the wheel hub by hand, but there is still a bit of a grinding noise and some resistance. Any ideas of what this could be caused by?
I agree with the above; make sure to bleed the whole system. I would have flushed the system with the old caliper on so that if there was any trash in the system it did not make it into the new caliper. If the new caliper feels like it is sticking, damage may have already been done.

However, the pads aren't going to move away from the rotor after pressure is applied and there will be some drag...

post #4 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
What does flushing the whole system do? I did bleed every corner, though. What do you mean by “there will be drag?”

Nof-z

TJ FOR LIFE
post #5 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Okay, here’s an update: I put up the whole Front end, and tested both sides of the axel for resistance. They both seemed even, and I didn’t hear and grinding noise. Then I took it out on a short test (about .5 miles) and it felt like there was no braking force being applied when I was being driven, contrary to the only caliper, which caused the whole vehicle to pull right. When I got back (after a short downhill when the brakes were applied) I felt them. The both seemed to be the same temp, if not a bit warm. I could still comfortable put my hand on them, but they were seeming warmer than usual. GRANTED I have never touched my brake rotors before today, so that might have been normal, given the 200’ of braking needed to get down the hill.

Just a heads up, the reason why I am trying to do this without a full drain is that this is my only car, and I can’t Get to the store to get enough new fluid If I have no fluid in it to brake with...

Nof-z

TJ FOR LIFE
post #6 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 03:01 PM
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, hereís an update: I put up the whole Front end, and tested both sides of the axel for resistance. They both seemed even, and I didnít hear and grinding noise. Then I took it out on a short test (about .5 miles) and it felt like there was no braking force being applied when I was being driven, contrary to the only caliper, which caused the whole vehicle to pull right. When I got back (after a short downhill when the brakes were applied) I felt them. The both seemed to be the same temp, if not a bit warm. I could still comfortable put my hand on them, but they were seeming warmer than usual. GRANTED I have never touched my brake rotors before today, so that might have been normal, given the 200í of braking needed to get down the hill.

Just a heads up, the reason why I am trying to do this without a full drain is that this is my only car, and I canít Get to the store to get enough new fluid If I have no fluid in it to brake with...

Flushing the brake lines basically means that the master is filled with fresh fluid and each corner is bled until fresh fluid appears. Brake fluid absorbs water over time and it needs flushing every couple of years.

If you come to a fork in the road take it.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ah alright, sounds like I should do it then, since it was last done two years ago. I was following the old Haynes manual, which told me I didn’t need to do that if I only pulled one caliper off, so that’s why I only got a small amount. Sounds like a trip to oreillys is in my near future....

Nof-z

TJ FOR LIFE
post #8 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 07:24 PM
RedJeepJim
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the Brake Hoses

I had this - I cooked a brand new rotor before I figured it out. It was the soft brake hoses - they were trapping and holding pressure like a valve. So the calipers appeared to be stuck, but they were still under pressure and doing what they are supposed to do. All TJs should be replacing those lines by now because of age if they haven't already. There are three - one for each front driver and passenger sides, and one that leads to the center of the rear axle. Replace all three and bleed again. They are cheap to replace and good preventative maintenance.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 06:20 AM
LumberjackLloyd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What does flushing the whole system do? I did bleed every corner, though. What do you mean by ďthere will be drag?Ē
There is only pressure applied to the caliper, therefore it can only push the pads against the rotor and apply pressure. There is nothing to move the pads away from the rotor unless there is run out in the rotor so there will be some "drag" from brake pads at a coast. If this wasn't the case your brake pedal would feel mushy as the master cylinder would have to first push the pads up to the rotor surface and then apply pressure.

If your caliper was still locking up, you would burn your hand on the rotor after a 5 mile drive that had a few stops...
post #10 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Excellent, thank you all for your help! I did a full flush last night and took it for a 25 mile test, and I could touch the brakes when I got back, so I think all is fixed! Once again, thank you for your help, as always!

Nof-z

TJ FOR LIFE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in