C.A.R.B. requirements when moving to California - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 08-28-2015, 09:48 PM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
As long as it has 7500 miles or more,no ck engine light and no missing or modified emission parts it should not be an issue.
This is 100% correct and are the only things you need to worry about. I used to be a CA DMV technician and I did vehicle registration all day for 4 years. There are no other requirements but what's in the quote above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 08-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cali smog has 3 parts.... The visual inspection, the tank leak down test and the tailpipe emissions test.

The visual somewhat depends on the shop doing the test. My charcoal canister has been relocated and it's never been noticed. Same with my catalytic converter. OTH I keep hearing about not having the CARB sticker on my AEM intake so go figure.

I previously had the genrite 24 gallon tank on my rig and it was never noticed as an issue and it always passed the leak down tests just fine.

TJ's can have NOx issues on the rolling emission test in my experience and that all comes down to whether or not your cat is in good working order. Even with the fat cam and increased compression ratio my rig easily passes as I replaced my cat a few years ago.

You should not need a referee unless you pick out a dick shop who hoses you so ask around and get references from somebody you know.

If you can show that your rig has been in state under 10 days and you show up to the DMV with a clean smog cert, you won't have any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgm2 View Post
And yes, I am an exceptional scientist and engineer.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-29-2015, 04:38 PM
OldGloryLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I didn't see where you mentioned what year Jeep it is but 2000 and up vehicles no longer require the tail pipe test. They just plug into computer and rely on the on board diagnostics. As long as you don't have a check engine light (or recent reset) and it passes visual you are good to go. In my experience they always look for CARB sticker for the HAI. Not sure when the regs changed but I just had it done about 2 mo ago.

post #19 of 21 Old 08-29-2015, 06:18 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ????? View Post
With all of the people running Genright tanks in CA, is it safe to assume that they pass without a problem?
Like was mentioned... it depends on the inspector/shop. Technically, a Genright tank is not Ca. smog compliant and it can be failed IF the tech looks and sees it is aftermarket. Prolly a 50/50 shot. I just passed up an out of state rig because of this reason.
If it has a factory looking skid just rattle can paint the tank black and you may get away with it.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #20 of 21 Old 08-29-2015, 07:08 PM
hokahay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get a pair of bruce jenner (TM) panties. A electric POS go cart, Turn in all your guns, and bend over. enjoy kalifornia.
post #21 of 21 Old 08-29-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGloryLJ View Post
I didn't see where you mentioned what year Jeep it is but 2000 and up vehicles no longer require the tail pipe test. They just plug into computer and rely on the on board diagnostics. As long as you don't have a check engine light (or recent reset) and it passes visual you are good to go. In my experience they always look for CARB sticker for the HAI. Not sure when the regs changed but I just had it done about 2 mo ago.
It's a 2004. I'll try to get ahold of a sticker for the MCAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Cali smog has 3 parts.... The visual inspection, the tank leak down test and the tailpipe emissions test.

The visual somewhat depends on the shop doing the test. My charcoal canister has been relocated and it's never been noticed. Same with my catalytic converter. OTH I keep hearing about not having the CARB sticker on my AEM intake so go figure.

I previously had the genrite 24 gallon tank on my rig and it was never noticed as an issue and it always passed the leak down tests just fine.

TJ's can have NOx issues on the rolling emission test in my experience and that all comes down to whether or not your cat is in good working order. Even with the fat cam and increased compression ratio my rig easily passes as I replaced my cat a few years ago.

You should not need a referee unless you pick out a dick shop who hoses you so ask around and get references from somebody you know.

If you can show that your rig has been in state under 10 days and you show up to the DMV with a clean smog cert, you won't have any problems.
If I remember right, your Jeep is a 99? It sounds like I won't have to worry too much about the NOx issues with the rolling emissions test on mine.

Just thinking about the logistics of it all, I'll probably need to get the smog cert and registration done as soon as possible so I have a place to park that isn't all the way out in the avenues, or collecting parking tickets everyday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in