buy a rental jeep? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Jeeptastic

buy a rental jeep?

there are a lot of rental jeeps from hawaii at the local carmax..they are priced well but i don't know if i'd want to own one..any thoughts?..i'm in the market for a used TJ/LJ 03-06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Red Rubycon

Rental cars are usually driven hard by people who don't care about the effect. Having said that, a jeep can take a lot and I would suspect whatever it was put through would be less than 4x4, so you are probably ok. Just buy it right to allow for a 1-2K in potential unexpected repairs from being a rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeptastic
there are a lot of rental jeeps from hawaii at the local carmax..they are priced well but i don't know if i'd want to own one..any thoughts?..i'm in the market for a used TJ/LJ 03-06
wildbill23c likes this.
post #3 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Might depend on where it was in Hawaii. For example, there is very little offroading on Kauai, so everything would likely be highway miles. Of course there could be some abuse from highway miles as well. Most people who go to Hawaii probably just rent them for the convertible feel. Compare to say Colorado, whre I rented a Rubicon last summer that was also for sale. Only 19k miles and it was completely thrashed.

Originally Posted by Divinitous
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.

post #4 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Tacoma750

NOWAY....People beat th eball soff of rental cars, especially jeeps
post #5 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 PM
soxlover

Rental cars are serviced regularly, I've had good experience with a rental car I bought a few yrs ago. Ask to see service records to be sure.
post #6 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Jeeptastic

ya, i was thinking the same thing ...i'm having such a hard time finding a quality used jeep out here...it's either a rental, had too many owners or is priced rediculously high..help me find a jeep..all i want is an 03 with a soft top, I6, and a 3.73 gear ratio, auto but I would take a manual for the right price..i want to spend around 15k.
post #7 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 11:52 PM
AlTheKillerr

my girl has a rental mazda protoge and they have never had a single problem with it in the past 5 years of ownership.

Photographer
2000 XJ, 5" lift, 35s, Locked
post #8 of 47 Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Edonis13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

make sure you buy this rental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP4ji3MXpNQ
post #9 of 47 Old 03-07-2007, 12:10 AM
snellav

1998 XJ Cherokee 

My only worry would be that people would engage 4 wheel at innapproiate times.

98 2 Door Cherokee SE 4x4 - Stock
00 TJ w/ D60s and lotsa other stuff - Gone but not forgotten
post #10 of 47 Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
DJMunich

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I sell cars, and Rental cars are sometimes a tough call. The good thing about them is that 9 times out of 10 they are maintained better than privately owned cars (unless it's some irreputable rental car place, like Rent-A-Wreck).

Of course the obvious negative is somebody COULD have driven it hard. But that's not always true. You just never know. One thing I guess I would have the Salesman/Carmax do is put the jeep up on a rack... if not a maintenance rack, then one of those display racks - almost every car dealership has one. If they're serious about making a deal, and you make it clear that you just want to take a good look at the undercarriage before purchasing it to look for obvious abuse, then they should do it. I've done it for customers - and of course it was odd, but I wanted to make the deal, and I did because of it.

Also, keep in mind, Carfax salesmen don't earn comission, so it's not really him you're fighting, more the sales desk (the sales manager). Get yourself pre-approved for a car loan - you can save a decent amount of money by doing so (it gives you the control in the finance department). A lot of times dealerships make thousands by "making rate" - upselling the rate (for example the dealership's buy rate is 6.99%, but they tell you the best they can get you is 8.99%). A lot of people go for it because they don't know it's sometimes (but not always) negotiable. Extended warranties are also usually not more than $1,000, but we OFTEN sell them for more than $1500. See if you can find out how much a DaimlerChrysler extended warranty is, and if you do or don't need to purchase it at Carmax. If you don't, don't. And DO NOT buy a 3rd party warranty - they're bull****. Gap Insurance is almost always a good idea, unless you're putting more than like 20% as a downpayment (because then you'll probably never be up-side-down). Cost on it isn't much more than like $400 I think. I forget.

If you need any other tips on buying a car, post up and I'll answer any other questions you have.
post #11 of 47 Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxlover
Rental cars are serviced regularly, I've had good experience with a rental car I bought a few yrs ago. Ask to see service records to be sure.
I don't care if you change the oil every 500 miles, it won't protect against what I (and everybody I know) put rentals through. My last car was a rental (found out AFTER I bought it, when I got the registration.... that pissed me off), and it turned out to be a complete piece of crap. Everything went wrong with that car... never again.

Are the Jeeps that most rental places have 4cyl or 6cyl? If you rent a Mustang convertible they're always 6 cyl, that irritates me... It'd be fun to rent a 6 cyl Jeep, slap a BB, BL, and some Boggers on it and wheel the ever loving **** out of it, lol. Which is, exactly, why I'd never buy a used rental.
wildbill23c likes this.

YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
post #12 of 47 Old 03-07-2007, 03:57 AM
BlackJeephunter

I had a rental car in Phoenix two weeks ago, I found pot in the dash vents and bad seed burn on the passenger seat. I would be wary of rental cars. It was a Chevy HHR.
post #13 of 47 Old 03-07-2007, 04:43 AM
snccoulter

To quote a famous comedian buying a rental car is like marring a hooker you cant say specifically what has happened to her but you can bet that she has been driven way to hard way to often.
post #14 of 47 Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 AM
Srhmn8r

If I'm not mistaken, some Jeep rental places "disengage" the 4wd so that you can't do anything stupid to it. I assume this means they just remove the front drive shaft. I'd feel a lot more comfortable buying a rental Jeep if this was the case.

03 Rubicon RE 3.5" and 1.25" JKS BL 35" BFG MT's
post #15 of 47 Old 03-07-2007, 06:01 AM
BlackJeephunter

or just disconnect the 4X4 lever. Pretty easy. Much better than the front axle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in