Bumpy AC Unit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-06-2021, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
JeepJeffW

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bumpy Cruise Control Unit

1997 TJ with 4.0 and manual tranny.

Cruise Control works great until I hit a bump in the road. Then it shuts down. If the road is smooth I simply push in the activation button on the end of the switch and it comes on again and works fine, that's until I hit another bump and off it goes.

Repeat, for every bump we hit. I'm assuming there is a loose connection somewhere but am clueless how this system works. Where should I start looking to check this out. Totally uneducated when it comes to these systems so explaining things very simply would be appreciated.

"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1984
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2021, 07:53 PM
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeffW View Post
1997 TJ with 4.0 and manual tranny.

Air Conditioning works great until I hit a bump in the road. Then it shuts down. If the road is smooth I simply push in the air activation button on the end of the switch and it comes on again and works fine, that's until I hit another bump and off it goes.

Repeat, for every bump we hit. I'm assuming there is a loose connection somewhere but am clueless how this system works. Where should I start looking to check this out. Totally uneducated when it comes to these systems so explaining things very simply would be appreciated.
Sounds like an aftermarket installation, can you find something to identify the system.

If you come to a fork in the road take it.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2021, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
JeepJeffW

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4Jim View Post
Sounds like an aftermarket installation, can you find something to identify the system.
I can't believe I said air conditioning instead of "cruise control" which you caught somehow. THANKS! Yes, it is an after market cruise unit that I think was made by Rostra and it looks to be an older unit. I'll include a picture of what it looks like below. It is mounted on the lower left side of the steering column. I cannot find any refrence to a wiring diagram or model number since it was on the jeep when I bought it. Worked great for a week or so and then all of a sudden this happened. Hoping I can fix it without too much damage. Here's a link to what it looks like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20322677530...0aAnkNEALw_wcB

"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2021, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
JeepJeffW

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Success! I finally made time to work on this cruise control unit. Pulled the two pieces of the steering column cover apart alog with the plastic dash under the column. Followed the wires down to under the dash and found a little clip that the wires from the column lead to. Pushed on the clip and heard it snap into place. Must have worked itself loose over time. Took a test ride and it works great - even on the bumpity bumpity roads. Took me longer to get the screws back into the steering wheel cover than to fix it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in