Building a home Auto Shop - JeepForum.com
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Building a home Auto Shop

Hey all,

I am adding a garage to my house and want to do it right the first time. I am going to add a 9,000 lift like the one below.

As I am building my design, I am wondering is there any other equipment I should be considering and make room for?

Would love to have a flow of some ideas of what you all might do, maybe some of you have done this and if you would do it over again you would do something differently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 07:39 AM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

1936 CJ2A 

I don't have a shop, but I have many day dreams about it... I would think you would want air piped in with a few different drops.

I, personally, would want a shower and toilet in the shop. They way you keep the dirt in the shop

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Guy_Van_Horn, Wyo and JD Blaine like this.

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 07:42 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A large air compressor mounted up and out of the way. Don't waste the floor space.

Heat and insulation. And it doesn't need to be 68 degrees in the winter. 55 is reasonable when you're working.

A sink. Bathroom would be nice if you really have the space. Personally, I don't have a problem going into the house occasionally (or just outside) and wouldn't want to take up the space with a bathroom.

Loft storage. Keep the floor space clear.
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

97 TJ sport.

post #4 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrugger View Post
I don't have a shop, but I have many day dreams about it... I would think you would want air piped in with a few different drops.

I, personally, would want a shower and toilet in the shop. They way you keep the dirt in the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
A large air compressor mounted up and out of the way. Don't waste the floor space.

Heat and insulation. And it doesn't need to be 68 degrees in the winter. 55 is reasonable when you're working.

A sink. Bathroom would be nice if you really have the space. Personally, I don't have a problem going into the house occasionally (or just outside) and wouldn't want to take up the space with a bathroom.

Loft storage. Keep the floor space clear.

Yes good thoughts, multiple air drops. My current garage I have an air drop in the middle with a little tank mounted upside down with a valve to switch to the big compressor I have next to the wall.
Bathroom especially sink is a good thought as well, I am trying to figure out how I would plumb that to my septic that is on the opposite side of the house.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 08:06 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Power outlets , 220 for the welder
Workbench and shelving
Fridge
Sink
Sofa
post #6 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 09:05 AM
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

+1 for sink and 220VAC.
And definitely insulate the walls and ceiling.
Also, if you have the money, get some tire busting, and balancing equipment.
And wheel alignment tools.
Room for a hydraulic press, drill press, band saw, and parts washer tub.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
Power outlets , 220 for the welder
Workbench and shelving
Fridge
Sink
Sofa
Interesting thought on 220, did not think of that. I am not a welder...yet! But still there is something that is going to need 220VAC. I also have a generator and I can use the 220 to run power back to the house if I have a power outage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy_Van_Horn View Post
+1 for sink and 220VAC.
And definitely insulate the walls and ceiling.
Also, if you have the money, get some tire busting, and balancing equipment.
And wheel alignment tools.
Room for a hydraulic press, drill press, band saw, and parts washer tub.

Tire equipment is an interesting thought. I might not get my money back in tire replacement over time, but something to think about.
Parts washer is a great point, didn't think of that.
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 10:32 AM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

1936 CJ2A 

If you figure out plumbing, maybe a small washing machine. I would love to have one for my work clothes or dog stuff.

Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 01:21 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Yes good thoughts, multiple air drops. My current garage I have an air drop in the middle with a little tank mounted upside down with a valve to switch to the big compressor I have next to the wall.
Bathroom especially sink is a good thought as well, I am trying to figure out how I would plumb that to my septic that is on the opposite side of the house.
For just a sink.. don't know where you are at, but I would just run it outside into some perf pipe with gravel same with a floor drain assuming you don't run nasties into it.

I love a laundry tub for a sink myself.
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 01:52 PM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I agree on bathroom, washer & dryer, parts cleaner, welding area, nice size bench with vice, sand blaster, multiple air and power drops, fridge storage cabinet's, floor drain and as much square footage as you can get to move around, HVAC, insulation, exhaust ports and hoses, used oil storage, sound system, room for the extra tool box you didn't think you were going to need.
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

01'XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstei n's,IRO OTKsteering,245/70R16,NokianRotiiva AT
post #11 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 01:55 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I helped a friend with a 30x40 metal bluiding shop. We didn't build the metal building, just completed the out-fitting. Insulated and heated. He has multiple 220 outlets, piped air, lift, bathroom with toilet and deep sink and 10 gal water heater, refrigerator, tv, wi-fi booster from house, and in one corner we built a 10x20 loft space about 6' tall at the center complete with staircase.

A double garage door on the front, and a single door off the back. A 15' concrete apron off the front and 10' off the back. These aprons are great when power washing, sand blasting, etc, where you have work to do, but not IN the shop.

We installed a 100amp sub panel. Sewage to house septic was accomplished with a "lift station", basically a 20-30 gal plastic drum buried outside the bathroom area, a solid waster pump with float switch that pumps waste to main house septic tank, and yes, this was all permitted/inspected.

I'm not sure if he had a budget, or what $$$ he has in it, I never asked.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #12 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 03:00 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I was planning on building a garage, I'd definitely go with a lift like that Thumper in your photo. It's easy enough to spec the concrete to be strong enough for the stands and clearance above would be easy to insure too. That's something I'd definitely want, I have spent way too much time getting sore and achy crawling around under my TJ supported on jackstands.

Definitely add a 220v outlet to your garage. You never know when you'll decide you want a MIG welder and those that are up to welding anything on a Wrangler require 220v. I first bought a 110v MIG welder and it finally proved to be not enough for everything I needed to weld. I upgraded to a Miller 180 amp welder which required a 220v outlet which I had to add which took me the better part of a day. You'll never believe all the things you'll eventually find a welder useful for.
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

Gone wheeling, back Monday.
When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 04:10 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

1936 CJ2A 

Car lifts are awesome. I grew up with a few neighbors that had them in their shops. It is great for any type.of projects. Don't know what this guy is on about.

Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

post #14 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

I've had enough sore muscles and bones from crawling under and working under vehicles. If I had the space and the money, I'd put in an overhead lift in a heartbeat.

post #15 of 29 Old 08-15-2021, 04:45 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice lift choice.
Attached Images

Jerry Bransford likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in