Broken Wheel Studs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
navila17
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Broken Wheel Studs

Hello!

I keep losing wheel studs on the same wheel, and I can't tell if it is a coincidence.

Jeep is a 2005 TJ Rubicon, mostly stock except slightly larger tires on the stock Rubicon rims (265/75/R16 which is basically 32s instead of 31s).

Back in February (after a road trip that included some decent off roading), I found a sheared off wheel stud on the read driver's side wheel, along with most of the nuts being loose. I replaced all 5 studs, since I didn't know if I damaged any of the other studs from driving with a loose wheel for a few miles...

Now today (I just got back from a 3000 mile road trip yesterday that also included a few hundred miles of off roading) I found the same wheel with 2 missing wheel studs, and the other 3 nuts were pretty loose.

I usually do a visual inspection of the wheels after off roading, but maybe I need to actually re-torque all the lug nuts while I'm airing up the tires.

Anyone know how wheel studs actually shear off? The only thing I can think of is they loosened up while off roading, and once it gets to the point of being loose enough to put bending loads on the studs instead of tension, they can snap off while driving. I just want to figure out what is going on.

Thanks for reading!
-Nick

(side note, it is really nice that there is a hole in the rear hub for you to slip studs through, so you don't have to remove the hub to replace the studs)

2005 TJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would use the spare wheel in that location and get new studs and new lug nuts. Then see if it happens again.

Was the second occurrence with the same wheel but in a different location ?

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
navila17
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am pretty sure I have rotated my tires in between the 2 failures, so it is the same location with different wheels.

I'll have to double check my maintenance notebook to be sure.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navila17 View Post
I am pretty sure I have rotated my tires in between the 2 failures, so it is the same location with different wheels.

I'll have to double check my maintenance notebook to be sure.
Could the axle be bent, causing the hub/wheel mounting surface not roll true, and therefore wheel to wobble

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Type of lug nuts?
Are you using a torque wrench on them?

Get out and explore.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2019, 04:32 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After having my wheels off (for rotation or other work) there is a very good chance that my lug nuts will loosen up after a couple hundred miles. That has always been the case with my Jeep and one other car that I had. Never had it happen on any other cars but those 2, aluminum rims or not. There's just something about the rim/lug/stud design on some cars. This is a relatively common complaint on this forum.

It should be standard procedure for you to check the torque on your lug nuts after doing service. At like 100, 500, 1000 miles. Something like that. It has nothing to do with offroading. Do it regardless. Losing a wheel on the road could be a real disaster.

85-110 lb-ft is the spec. Here's a pic from an owner's manual:
Well, I was going to link to wranglerforum, but I guess that's a swear word here or some nonsense.

97 TJ sport.
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used to torque my old alloy wheels up to 90 ft.lb (spec is 85-115 according to my 97 FSM) and never had any coming loose.

When I bought a used set of MT Classic II I did the same and checking them after about 30 miles many needed to be retorqued.
I ended up checking at home and work every day(14 mile trips) and increasing torque in 5 ft.lb steps.

The lug nuts didn't stay torqued until I got to 105 ft.lb which is what I now use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in