Braking Problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
adamf19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Braking Problems

I have a 98 4.0 Auto.

We just got some snow this weekend and its the first time my jeeps been in the snow. It does great until I have to stop! The front brakes work fine and lock up if they need to but the back breaks are barely working. Sometimes if I hold the brake all the way in the rear wheels will still spin...

The brake pedal is pretty squishy and I have to push it pretty far down.

A weird thing is that when I'm in 4wd it stops like its supposed to.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you need to pull the rear drums to have a look your brake components. Once you get the drums off, you should be able to see a couple of things; fluid on the lining would indicate either a brake fluid or axle seal leaking. If they are dry next check the wheel cylinder for being seized by pushing at the top of each shoe toward the wheel cylinder alternately. They should move in and out easily, if not the cylinder is seized and needs replacement or rebuild. If all is still ok check the star adjustment mechinism, often they seize up too. Pull the little piece of metal away from the star and try to turn the star wheel with you fingers. It should turn easily.
If everthing up to this point checks out, put the drum back on and adjust the star wheel from behind untill the drum is dragging on the lining. Repeat all of above for the other side.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
adamf19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay thanks ill check that stuff tomorrow!

Do you have any idea of why it would stop a ton better when it's in fourwheel drive vs two wheel drive? I'd figure out would stop the same either way..

post #4 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 06:31 PM
durango-bob

2006 WK 

When you are in 4wd, you have the front and rear axles locked together. So when you apply the front brakes, all 4 tires are trying to slow you down.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
adamf19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh duh! That makes sense...

So basically if my rear brakes don't work well, the front brakes are doing all the work when im in 4 wheel drive
post #6 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The front brakes are stopping the entire drivetrain when you are in 4wd. In 2 wheel the front brakes are stopping the front wheels but nothings stopping the back wheels and since you have an auto it's spinning a little in loose terrain.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
adamf19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Found my braking problem!

They look pretty shot and theres brake dust/dirt everywhere. I figured I'd basically replace everything, including the piston cylinder thing. I'm assuming I can get most of the parts I need at Autozone.

I only tore apart the drivers side, and didn't see anything for the emergency brake... is it only something thats on he passenger side or is something missing?
Attached Thumbnails
jeepbrakes.jpeg  
post #8 of 15 Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

In behind the axle where the wheel bolts on there should be a metal bar that runs between the front and back shoes. There will also be a cable that enters the braking area from behind the backing plate. If you have these plus a bit more, you have a park brake (functioning or not). After blowing up your picture, however, I do not see the self adjuster cable that should run along the inside of the back shoe. You may in fact have no park brake on that side. Do you have a working park brake at all?
post #9 of 15 Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
adamf19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hmmmm... I've only had it for about two months and have no need for the parking brake seeing its an auto and I don't live in a hilly area

I'll check if it works tomorrow. If not, is it something that fine to leave off disconnected unless its an easy fix?
post #10 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 05:21 AM
WranglerPete
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just did my rear brakes and when I pulled off the passenger side there was nothing at all for the emergency brake. The drum had a huge trench in the middle of it and the drum was corroded and pieces were missing. I doubt that side was even working.

$100 later from Advanced, $60 to a friend who helped me, and it is as good as new.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 AM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My wife drives an auto as well, and never uses the park brake. When I did the brakes earlier this year all the cables were siezed. Replaced them and everything was fine, she was good about using the park brake for a while, but old habits die hard, and I suspect I will be replacing them again in a few years. I suggesr you fix them, and use the park brake as well as the park position. Use the park brake first and then put it in park. All that is hollding you back in the transmission is a small piece of metal, if that breaks, you will have a much greater expense on your hands.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Those rear brakes don't look bad to me. There appears to be plenty of friction material left. Likely, they just need adjustment. You will be surprised at how much more balanced the braking will be after a simple adjustment.

Turn the star adjuster until the drum just barely rubs on the shoes. Unless you want to work through the window in the backing plate, you'll have to take the drum on and off. The drum probably has an unworn ridge so you'll want to push it all the way on before testing for rub.

There are parking brake components on both sides. If you don't want a parking brake, no, you don't have to fix it.

97 TJ sport.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 AM
GilaMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue show up from time to time. When I did my rear brakes (about 5k miles ago) I had a leaky wheel cylinder but everything else was fine. Recently my rears seemed like they were weak and I had to adjust them. The self adjusters are fine and assembled properly but it seems like they just don't "adjust" for wear like they should. Once I made the adjustment the rears were good and the parking brake started working again, too.

Silence is Golden, Duct tape comes in Many Colors.

Journeyman Meterman IBEW Local 611

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
post #14 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the self adjusters don't work on this Jeep in my experience. I adjust the brakes when I rotate the tires.

97 TJ sport.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM
JStMarie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Brakes look shot to me. Not much meat left, if any. I would completely re-do them. Shoes, drums, springs, cylinders, everything... I'm not usually opposed to salvaging what I can during repairs but when it comes to brakes I don't mess around.

Quote:
If not, is it something that fine to leave off disconnected unless its an easy fix?
This is not just your parking brake, it is your emergency brake. Most states require they function in order to be on the road. Even if your state does not, I'd get it functioning properly, especially if you decide to keep ANY of the parts visible in that picture.

JSt.Marie
'06 Jeep Wrangler, 65th Edition, stock.
'98 Jeep Wrangler, stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in