2Likes
  • 1 Post By greenmachine99
  • 1 Post By Knuckelhead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Koz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Brake Question

Earlier today I bought an 05 LJ Rubicon. Before buying I took it to a mechanic to look it over and was told it would need new brake pads, rotors and possibly calipers. Currently the jeep has stock wheels/tires, but in the next year or two I'd like to move to 35s on 15" wheels (although thats not set in stone). As I read thru old posts it seems like upgrading the brakes would be a good idea, and now seems like the appropriate time to do it. There is a ton of info on these forums and I'm trying to sort thru it all.

So the questions is: is this what I'll need/want to buy?
VANCO 15" Big Brake Kit with BMB Pads for 15" Rims $1060
shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-15-Big-Brake-Kit-with-BMB-Pads-for-15-Rims-BBK-NDM15.htm
and
Rear Disc Posi Quiet Brake Pads, Rear Rotors, Rear Calipers $320
shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Rear-Disc-Posi-Quiet-Brake-Pads-Rear-Rotors-Rear-Calipers-TJ-REAR-105-67063-58503-58504.htm

or is this overkill considering it may be 2 years still before I get around to upgrading wheels/tires (hoping more like 1 year). I am on a budget, but I'd rather get things done right the first time, feels like a waste to buy new parts now and then turn around and upgrade them in a year.

Hopefully this isnt too much for one thread, but the VANCO kit says it requires some grinding, would an angle grinder get the job done? And any other tools I'd need (I've never changed brakes before)? I have the basics in the garage now, but I'm at the point now where I could start to acquire the tools needed to work on my own cars. Up to this point, I've mostly handled changing fluids, and basic remove and replace stuff.

thanks

2005 LJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't recall using an angle grinder on anything but the soft brake line connector so it will fit the new dual piston brake caliper. Minor grinding at best. As shown post #5 at https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...e-kit-2593330/

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 07:24 PM
greenmachine99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I don't recall using an angle grinder on anything but the soft brake line connector so it will fit the new dual piston brake caliper. Minor grinding at best. As shown at https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...e-kit-2593330/
You also have to grind down the flange of the unit bearing for the rotor to fit over it. It's very minimal and easy to do.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
You also have to grind down the flange of the unit bearing for the rotor to fit over it. It's very minimal and easy to do.
I did not know that since my TJ has not had unit bearing hubs in years.

post #5 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Koz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome write up on the install, read thru it and all the comments. Still kind of wondering if there are any downsides to doing it with stock wheel/tires until I can upgrade. I read that "They work best and remain at their best when regularly used hard" Would stock tires under normal braking be considered babying the pads?

2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I did not kmow that since my TJ no longer has not had unit bearing hubs in years.
Except for the obvious misspelling, you just said you converted back to unitbearings.

I converted the Vanco kit to work with your hub conversion which is why you don't recall any grinding.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 05:45 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
Awesome write up on the install, read thru it and all the comments. Still kind of wondering if there are any downsides to doing it with stock wheel/tires until I can upgrade. I read that "They work best and remain at their best when regularly used with enthusiasm" Would stock tires under normal braking be considered babying the pads?
There is no way to define normal and I corrected the criteria to be a bit more accurate. Everyone has a different way they use their brakes and your normal may not be my normal. The solution is pretty easy. We have sets of pads that are more appropriate for easy use if you find that the performance of the good stuff diminishes from less than enthusiastic use. Pull the good pads, put them away for the bigger tires and run the other ones. If you send an email at the same time you are considering the purchase, I can put the "stock" pads in the same boxes the brake kit ships in at no additional charge.

As a comparison, I am running the 15" Vanco Kit on a mostly stock 04 TJ Unlimited with stock JK rims and tires which are roughly 32's. I'm able to keep them broken in with no issue but I like to use brakes with some enthusiasm.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Except for the obvious misspelling, you just said you converted back to unitbearings.

I converted the Vanco kit to work with your hub conversion which is why you don't recall any grinding.
Oh no wonder it needed no grinding then. Yeah that previous sentence I wrote was a little convoluted after a mis-edit, it now reads the way it was intended.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 11:30 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The 15" Vanco BBK with BMB pads was one of the first mods I did on my way to 35's. I ran them for a while with stock 30's. Their performance before the required break-in procedure was on par with the stock brakes. After the break-in, they were amazing!

If the performance before break-in is the worst they can be, you won't lose anything by installing them. If you notice their performance declining, just do the break-in again.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 12:39 PM
hokahay
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running the 46mm BBK for three years and 21,000 miles on 33" tires with 15" rims. While I drive like I am Jerry's age, every now and again I enjoy a hard braking situation. It's like a sports car. I have all the stuff to step up to 48mm calipers when the time comes. Blaines brakes rock. The mechanics didn't read the directions and complained the rotor didn't fit over the unit bearings. I asked if they read the directions. Nope. After that, they read directions and said they chucked them up in a lathe and turned them down a bit. Didn't complain or charge me extra. I can't see why stepping up to better brakes first would be a problem. In fact I am thinking that even with same small donuts blaines brakes make a bunch of sense.

tl;dr
Can't go wrong with blaine's high end brake kit. Only takes one time of "oh crap can't stop" with big tires and tired stock brakes to rain on the parade.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Koz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't feel like I go to heavy on the brake pedal... but I also don't feel like I tailgate (which I'm told I do), so planning on getting the BBK. Gunna call in the next day or two to get the Veteran coupon code, then get it ordered.

Thanks all

2005 LJ Rubicon
post #12 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
... I also don't feel like I tailgate (which I'm told I do),
Same with my wife... she definitely tailgates but claims she isn't tailgating when I suggest she back off a bit. She finally got a ticket for it from the Highway Patrol, I didn't say a word.

post #13 of 13 Old 11-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When riding with an old girlfriend, I found it best to just pull the brim of my hat down and make sure I was strapped in...
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Tags
brakes , newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in