Brake problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
foxy1305

Brake problem

My brakes are grabbing on the offside front making the wheel look up under only moderate braking. Any ideas for a cure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 AM
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy1305 View Post
My brakes are grabbing on the offside front making the wheel look up under only moderate braking. Any ideas for a cure
check your calipers operation make sure they're not binding,also inspect the brake lines. if they collapsed internally they will act as a one way check valve (fluids will flow out to the caliper but wont let it return to the master Cylinder)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 FSM PDF version
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 08:27 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo2975 View Post
check your calipers operation make sure they're not binding,also inspect the brake lines. if they collapsed internally they will act as a one way check valve (fluids will flow out to the caliper but wont let it return to the master Cylinder)
Why does a line internal collapse always turn into a check valve that only stops fluid from going back to the master? Why doesn't turn into a check valve that stops fluid from going to the caliper?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 AM
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why does a line internal collapse always turn into a check valve that only stops fluid from going back to the master? Why doesn't turn into a check valve that stops fluid from going to the caliper?
I never said always...from my experience, I've run across a few that failed in the pressure side of the stroke. I ran across a handful that failed on the relief side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 FSM PDF version
post #5 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo2975 View Post
I never said always...from my experience, I've run across a few that failed in the pressure side of the stroke. I ran across a handful that failed on the relief side.
Fair enough. One of my bigger pet peeves are the "experts" on brakes misleading the public with misinformation. I found this one this morning.

Braided Steel Brake Lines. Myth and Reality.
There’s a lot said about rubber lines “swelling” and causing a soft pedal. While this can happen in older cars, it’s not the primary gain from upgraded brake lines. Yes, the Teflon tube wrapped with braided steel has a much lower swell than rubber and textile lines. The firmer pedal that is so immediately apparent is mostly from the smaller inside diameter of the Teflon lines. Since the Teflon is more rigid, you can get away with a smaller diameter without increasing the risk of collapse. This means that you actually need to move less brake fluid to achieve the same application of brakes. The result? A more responsive pedal with greater feedback.

Sounds great, right? The problem is the exact same amount of fluid will need to be moved to get the caliper pistons to move the exact same distance as before. Rubber and textile flex hoses are built to withstand 3000 psi and don't flex larger in diameter any more than SS braid and Teflon do.

I've tested both on the same vehicle with a hydroboost I installed that had a line pressure output to the front calipers of 2800 psi. Both hoses flexed open or larger in diameter the same amount, about 1/2 of 1/1000".

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 AM
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Fair enough. One of my bigger pet peeves are the "experts" on brakes misleading the public with misinformation. I found this one this morning.

Braided Steel Brake Lines. Myth and Reality.
There’s a lot said about rubber lines “swelling” and causing a soft pedal. While this can happen in older cars, it’s not the primary gain from upgraded brake lines. Yes, the Teflon tube wrapped with braided steel has a much lower swell than rubber and textile lines. The firmer pedal that is so immediately apparent is mostly from the smaller inside diameter of the Teflon lines. Since the Teflon is more rigid, you can get away with a smaller diameter without increasing the risk of collapse. This means that you actually need to move less brake fluid to achieve the same application of brakes. The result? A more responsive pedal with greater feedback.

Sounds great, right? The problem is the exact same amount of fluid will need to be moved to get the caliper pistons to move the exact same distance as before. Rubber and textile flex hoses are built to withstand 3000 psi and don't flex larger in diameter any more than SS braid and Teflon do.

I've tested both on the same vehicle with a hydroboost I installed that had a line pressure output to the front calipers of 2800 psi. Both hoses flexed open or larger in diameter the same amount, about 1/2 of 1/1000".
I've been iffy about doing the steel braid option due to not being able to see the condition of the rubber line over time,I like to keep an Eye on them for dry rot or cracking.

2002 FSM PDF version

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in