Brake light woes - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By paskalee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
paskalee
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Brake light woes

My brake lights on my 97 TJ won't work. However, the tailights, turn signals, and hazard lights all work.

I cannot find any damaged wires, and have replaced the headlight switch, the multi-function switch, and the brake light switch. I replaced all the bulbs too, and everything but my brake lights work.

The airbag warning light is also on on my dash; not sure if it is related. I replaced the clockspring and it's still on.

I have also noticed that when I start my Jeep that the parking brake light comes on the dash even though I do not have the parking brake engaged.

I have also replace the ignition switch and the key tumbler.

It is not blowing any fuses and all checked out fine. I am at a loss as to why my brake lights won't work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-02-2020, 02:38 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you check fuse 2 behind the glove box? Even if it looks good, either check it for continuity or swap in another fuse.

I'd had an intermittent airbag lamp for years, mainly in cold weather. I had swapped in a used/tested clockspring with no change, It's only recently that I've had a chance to use a Snap-On scanner which showed internal 4 as an error. I bought a replacement airbag control unit off ebay and it's been fine since. See if you can get your airbag codes read somewhere as your ACU could be bad. I got my replacement from here - https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...ngler&_sacat=0

Brake warning lamp comes on as a self test when the ignition is first turned on. After that, it should only come on if the handbrake is applied, or there is a leak in the braking system and part of the braking system has been closed off.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-02-2020, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
paskalee
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I will try to change the fuse when I get home from work today just in case.

And my brake warning light is coming on when I move the key into the start position; not just when I initially turn it on.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-02-2020, 08:13 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

What Jonny Jeep said fuse #2 - do not just LOOK at it...

Damn I can't believe I had this.

These are what I call mickey mouse era diagrams...
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd have to look at mine next time I'm in the Jeep and see if comes on in start position. If it goes out after starting and operates normally after that I'd think it should be OK.
If it stays on, open the hood and unplug the connector underneath the brake fluid reservoir. If it goes out with that unplugged, the shuttle valve has shifted due to a leak.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-02-2020, 11:23 AM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar issues, was fixed by cleaning (well, "exercising") the emergency flashers switch a number of times.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2020, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
paskalee
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I checked out my fuse and the fuse itself was fine but I realized the metal contacts in the fuse box were not making contact with the fuse. So my brake lights are working again. Thank you for the replies
jjandascog likes this.

Tags
brake light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in