Brake light on and SIX beeps? - JeepForum.com
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Cob731
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Brake light on and SIX beeps?

2006 LJ. Perplexing issue; when I come to a stop and I put the transmission into Park and apply the parking (e-brake) brake, the brake light comes on (as it should) and it beeps six times then stops. If I wait six seconds after putting the transmission in park before applying the parking brake, only the light comes on (as it should), but no beeping. Brakes are functioning properly at present time. NORMAL function? Any info/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Cob731 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 11-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,405
This has to be part of the selector on the side of trans.

With the Ebrake on if you put in gear it makes that noise.. Its to let you know so as not to mess the brake up..


Sounds like the selector is not quiet out of gear yet when you put brake on,.
Could just be worn or needs adjustment. If it begins to not start without wiggling the shifter in and out of park neutral then you know what is broke.
Cob731 likes this.
Jeepsr4me is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 11-10-2019, 04:21 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler
 
mukluk's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Clyde
Posts: 5,438
It's normal, my manual transmission LJ does the same thing.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
mukluk is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 11-11-2019, 04:25 AM
AjRagno
Registered User
 
AjRagno's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cob731 View Post
...when I come to a stop and I put the transmission into Park and apply the parking (e-brake) brake...
I'm not sure about the beeping but with an automatic transmission it's important to apply the parking brake in Neutral, then remove your foot from the brake and shift into Park. Doing this places all of the weight of the vehicle on the parking brake. This will reduce wear on the parking pawl, completely eliminates tension on the shift cable, and reduces the risk of breaking the plastic rod that engages the shift interlock.
AjRagno is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 11-12-2019, 03:04 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler
 
Jonny Jeep's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 6,307
The park brake warning sounds when the handbrake is applied and the vehicle is still moving. The PCM must still be sensing input from the VSS as the vehicle settles.
Cob731 likes this.
Jonny Jeep is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 PM
fromme
Registered User
 
fromme's Avatar
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,508
Cant help but wonder if your parking brake shoes are bad or severely out of adjustment, which would cause the vehicle to roll slightly after releasing the brake. Which in turn the vss would send a signal to the pcm indicating the vehicle is moving with parking brake on, as said above.

2015 JKUR
fromme is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 11-12-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Cob731
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Didnít think of that! Iíll check it out. Thanks
Cob731 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 11-12-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Cob731
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno View Post
I'm not sure about the beeping but with an automatic transmission it's important to apply the parking brake in Neutral, then remove your foot from the brake and shift into Park. Doing this places all of the weight of the vehicle on the parking brake. This will reduce wear on the parking pawl, completely eliminates tension on the shift cable, and reduces the risk of breaking the plastic rod that engages the shift interlock.
Thanks for the suggestion; been doing that for years.
Cob731 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 11-12-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Cob731
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
Cant help but wonder if your parking brake shoes are bad or severely out of adjustment, which would cause the vehicle to roll slightly after releasing the brake. Which in turn the vss would send a signal to the pcm indicating the vehicle is moving with parking brake on, as said above.
All good thoughts!
The consistent indication is the six beeps. If I put the transmission in park and count six seconds before applying the E brake, then the beep doesnít happen; any application of the E brake before the six second count is finished will result in beeps for the remaining number of the six second count.
Cob731 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 11-12-2019, 09:41 PM
bonza
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: back of nowhere
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cob731 View Post
All good thoughts!
The consistent indication is the six beeps. If I put the transmission in park and count six seconds before applying the E brake, then the beep doesnít happen; any application of the E brake before the six second count is finished will result in beeps for the remaining number of the six second count.
mines a manual and does the exact same thing since owning it from new. seems to be another quirk with the 05-06 models.


I find it annoying but have become accustomed to it and tend to wait a few seconds before apply the hand brake
mukluk and Cob731 like this.

2005 TJ Light Khaki
bonza is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 39,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
seems to be another quirk with the 05-06 models.
CRIKEY! None of my 05-06 Jeeps ever did that. It must be a backasswards, back of nowhere, Victoria, Australia thing. G'day mate.
bonza likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 09:44 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 39,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno View Post
it's important to apply the parking brake in Neutral, then remove your foot from the brake and shift into Park.
Not true in the least bit.
Cob731 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 39,084
As always, Johny Jeep is correct.

p.s. My spellcheck tells me that you spell your first name wrong. Must be a US thing Mr. Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 11-14-2019, 03:03 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler
 
Jonny Jeep's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 6,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
As always, Johny Jeep is correct.

p.s. My spellcheck tells me that you spell your first name wrong. Must be a US thing Mr. Jeep.
I suppose it depends how you spell Jonathan over there. I bet it 'corrects' aluminium too.
TheBoogieman likes this.
Jonny Jeep is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 11-14-2019, 09:57 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 39,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
I suppose it depends how you spell Jonathan over there. I bet it 'corrects' aluminium too.
My name is spelled three different ways over here.
Boogieman, Boogeyman, Bogeyman. I think Rob Zombie (White Zombie) got it right.

Jonny Jeep and WSS like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
TheBoogieman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome