blower not working... in Montana - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 10-20-2019, 10:01 PM
cvariaex2

Blower Motor Resistor helped me. Dorman 973-025 Blower Motor Resistor for Jeep Liberty/Wrangler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YLMPPA..._R7rRDbK2HX0RH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
cool, I'll try that. I can't exactly afford to take this into someone, so is there a way if it doesn't work that I can just temporarily hard wire the blower on, maybe through a separate switch so I can at least have my defroster? Also, What does the resistor actually do? I'm terrible with the electronic side of cars...

Nof-z
Organist, SCUBA Diver, Russian, and of coarse, Jeep lover

TJ FOR LIFE
post #18 of 22 Old 10-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The resistor controls the blower speed but is bypassed for high speed so if the blower is not working on high, the problem in not the resistor.

Did you run the procedure in the link I posted? Your description now sounds like the problem might be at the speed switch, the connector may be bad (loose or overheated) or the switch may be bad. That is covered in the link.

Part of the procedure linked involves grounding various wires at the speed switch for testing. If nothing else, if grounding the high speed (or any speed) wire there gets it going you can leave it grounded (or add a switch) to have it working that way until you get it figured out.

post #19 of 22 Old 10-21-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
yes I did, the motor gets power, however I cant find a good place to use as a ground to test the fan speed wires... either that or they are all bad

Nof-z

TJ FOR LIFE
post #20 of 22 Old 10-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, got it.Try this...

Once you have the panel out you can unplug the wire connector at the mode selector & find the black wire in that connector. That should be grounded so see if you have continuity between that wire & the grounding bolt behind & maybe slightly below the dash speaker, I think there is one on each side, for sure on the driver’s side. If that is good use that black wire for your ground. Be sure the key is on & this is when the blower is not otherwise working (since it can be intermittent & you need to test when not working). Then unplug the speed switch connector & with a jumper wire jump from that black wire to each of the 4 wires, not including the dark green one, one at a time to see if you get each of the 4 speeds.

If good there, then remove the jumper wire from the black wire & connect it to the dark green wire in the speed switch connector, make sure the mode switch is now plugged into its connector & is in any position except off. Now jumping to each of the other 4 wires of the speed switch connector should also get each of the 4 fans speeds. If not, the mode selector switch is bad or you have a bad connection (loose or overheated) at the mode switch connector.

If you still have trouble getting a good ground you can run a long wire directly to the battery negative (-) post to get the best possibly ground point.

If none of this grounding works I would say you have a bad ground at the blower motor connection even though it seemed to be affected by turning the speed switch. Ultimately you need a good ground (and 12v power) to the motor for it to run. And that ground path runs through the speed & mode switches (as well as the resistor for speeds 1-3).

And with that, of course, you need a good motor.
OJack likes this.
post #21 of 22 Old 10-22-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Alright, I just did that. I am only getting 12V on the brown-dark green connection, no other wires on the speed selector are working. When I connect those two, I then get 12v from the motor connector consistently. However, the motor does not spin. I have tried two different motors and neither of them are spinning, even though voltage is coming through. I can't tell how much current and impedance is happening though, so maybe thats the issue? what current should be going through it? I really appreciate how patient you all are being with this, I am, Like I said, Pretty bad with car electrical systems...

Nof-z

TJ FOR LIFE
post #22 of 22 Old 10-28-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Nof-z

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
well for some reason its working consistently again after I put it all back together to go to work, so hopefully it stays! thank you all for your help, I do believe it was a grounding issue. now time to wait for the next issue...

Nof-z

TJ FOR LIFE

Tags
blower , heat , hvac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in