Blend door and turn signal problem? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubi4MyMrs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Dools

Blend door and turn signal problem?

Hello everyone, I'm new here and a new Jeep owner (just a few days). I have a 97 Wrangler TJ.

I'm just learning about this vehicle and have spent some time reading. Hopefully I didn't miss where these questions may have already been asked. Any help would be great.....thanks in advance.

Everything seems to be running on this Jeep excellent. I have only 2 very small challenges....and am not sure if I could or should attempt to resolve them on my own. I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

Blend Door.....seems to just be stuck pumping heat out of the driver side dash vent and the defroster. Doesn't matter where I slide the controller to except it does turn off. The center and passenger dash vents don't have heat coming out and the lower vents to the feet do not have heat coming out. I'm guessing maybe the controller is just broke or disconnected and the blend door is not operating properly. Is this fairly easy to access and resolve.

The other is the steering column turn signal. When turning right the turn signal returns to the off position after the turn. When turning left it just stays on and needs to be manually pushed back up to the off position. I'm not sure what causes this.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday.....thanks for any info regarding these issues.

Thanks,
Dools

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Renegade13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
blend door/turn signal

Had the same problem with my blend doors, do a search on here for "blend door" and it should yield you all the info you need and then some, including diagrams that were a huge help to me. In my case there were two blend door levers broken off (very common issue it seems). I had to fish the old parts out of the heater box with a screw and then purchase the replacements. Might be a good place to start looking, stick your head under the steering wheel and look directly above the tranny hump. The turn signal problem was an easy $20 fix. Buy the turn signal switch off of eBay and the swap takes literally 10minutes. I actually replaced my wiper switch while i was in there to get my intermittent wiper function back too. Good luck!
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Does it change from heat to cold? Blend door controls the heat and is cable actuated on your 97. The controls that switch location are vacuum controlled, could be as simple as a hose connection not tight on the back of the controls in the dash.

The switch is an easy fix, I picked one up from advance Auto as they usually have a 20% off coupon.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When my turn signal stopped cancelling in one direction it was a broken spring inside the switch. I did a write up showing how to strip and rebuild the switch and the spring sizes used.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...ite-up-421210/
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Dools

Thank you guys for the feed back. I have inspected the vacuum hose lines under the hood, I can not find any issues with them, however it would be tough to find a hair line split at this point. The blend door does go from hot to cold. I pulled the dash out and inspected the pieces that operate the location changes for the air coming in and they seem to be operating properly with nothing broken inside. I do get heat and cold (just the vent) I do not have AC. I did not look for the leak in there so I will do so now. I am reviewing the turn signal post to see if I can resolve. Thank you so much for taking the time to help out. I'll report back later today with anything I learn, resolve or eliminate.

EDIT: one of the problems I'm having is that I can manually close all the lines under the dash to direct the proper air flow, although they do not stay put. Because this is a new vehicle to me I don't know if something is broken or missing because I have never seen it in any other condition.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Dools

Maybe these help to see if something just looks out of place?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180701_093555.jpg   IMG_20180701_093624.jpg   IMG_20180701_093643.jpg  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Dools

Update:

I have ordered a whole new turn signal component. The flashers were not acting appropriately either so this was easy to resolve for $30.

There is one vacuum line coming in through the firewall at the foam on the passenger side that I can not find under the dash. I followed it in behind the glove box and can't seem to locate it past there. Not sure where it goes after that. I took a lot of things apart, but still can't seem to get to it or find where it's going. I'm fairly sure at this point there is a vacuum leak, but not sure where. I may just have to start replacing lines until it's resolved.....ugh
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The vacuum line that goes through the firewall goes over the top of the HVAC housing and then drops down to the connector near the fuse box.
Attached Thumbnails
TJ082.jpg  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Dools

Thank you for posting that. I have a fuse box in the glove box and it comes in behind that and heads over the top of the HVAC unit as you are saying. However I can not seem to locate it after that. There was a stereo installed in this prior to me purchasing it. I'm wondering if they didn't somehow knock that line off.

I have since put everything back together, but to give you an idea.....inside the glove box is the fuse panel and the line comes in the very back left of that and is not accesible. I followed it left towards the driver side, that's where it goes over the HVAC system.....from there I can not find it. I was expecting it to come in to the back of the hvac controls or somewhere??

Anyway....that's where I left it. Thank you again for taking the time
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180701_141017.jpg   IMG_20180701_141011.jpg  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-06-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Dools

New turn signal unit showed up today, and got it installed. It's nice to have flashers and a left turn signal that turns itself off Still hunting for the vacuum leak.....that vacuum leak is going to suck the life out of me at some point....lol
post #11 of 11 Old 07-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That line attaches to the mode selector (top) slider in the HVAC panel & it is the black one. The other colors are the ones that go to the actuators shown in the middle photo in post 6 above. It should be in the connector with the others also shown in post 8 above.
Dools likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in