bleeding power steering pump - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Buddie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
bleeding power steering pump

replaced power steering pump trying to bleed and it seems it wont bleed out need help

Buddie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddie
replaced power steering pump trying to bleed and it seems it wont bleed out need help
Whassamater, no tech around here?

First off, do not start the motor. Doing so without it being bled correctly will turn the fluid to foam and being highly aerated will be most compressible and that nasty gurgly whine you're trying to get rid of, will not go away.

Put the axle on jackstands high enough to just get the front tires off the ground.

Fill reservoir and system with Valvoline Syntech power steering fluid. Ignore this step and you're on your own. (unless you are using that high dollar GM Fluid)

Get behind the wheel and cycle the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock many times noting when air bubbles quit bubbling to the top of the fluid in the reservoir.

If the fluid level has dropped enough to add more, do so to the recommended fill volume.

Remove wire(s) from coil(s) in such a manner to prevent starting the vehicle when turning it over. Crank motor for 2.4 seconds to move fluid from reservoir into steering gear and displace air.

Repeat steering wheel exercise again.

Repeat until no fluid drops occur in reservoir.

Start motor and listen carefully. If the pump gurgles, whines, burps, farts or makes any noise whatsoever, stop immediately and repeat cycle outlined above until it is silent at start up.

Set tires on ground, start motor, crank steering back and forth lock to lock being careful not to hold in against the extreme ranges of the cycle for more than a couple of seconds.

Doing so forces the pump into bypass and will overheat the fluid to the tune of about 50 degrees every five seconds. This is bad.

Pump should be free of any unintended noises while the steering gear is cycled when the tires are on the ground. IF IT IS NOT, repeat above until it is.

The above procedure will bleed all but the most stubborn steering pumps. If it does not, post back and I'll add a couple of tricks to get you out of trouble.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 07:17 AM
airduds
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 500
I've never bled a power steering system after opening it up and have never had a problem.
airduds is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Scott_98TJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lexington
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by airduds
I've never bled a power steering system after opening it up and have never had a problem.
Define "opening it up".

98 TJ 4.0L | GenRight Stretch, 4 Link | Built XJ HP30 & XJ 44 | AW4 | ARB's | 35" Krawlers | Allied Beadlocks | York OBA | Warn 9500i etc. | M416 Trailer


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scott_98TJ is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM
redvett94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Grayling MI.
Posts: 580
I have never bleed a power steering even the one with a cylinder. I just fill not quite to the top and start & turn wheel clock to clock. Shut off engine and wait 5-10 minutes and start and top off. Works for me.

2000 Sport.
redvett94 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 08:02 AM
airduds
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_98TJ
Define "opening it up".
Numerous pumps and hoses but I've also done the actual cylinders on an 80s corvette and a Sable I used to own. Like I said, never a problem.
airduds is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 08:28 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by airduds
I've never bled a power steering system after opening it up and have never had a problem.
Well, you are either a phenomenal mechanic or blessed with exceptional luck. I'll put my money on being lucky enough to have never had a problem system.

Since we are in the TJ forum, I'll stick to that context and having swapped in at least 20 pumps and remote reservoirs, I've yet to have one that didn't require cycling the steering gear to remove the air from the system.

I've also swapped in a few stock replacements of which none got by without needing to be bled.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 08:34 AM
bcompton
Registered User
 
bcompton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 378
Blaine,

Thanks for the info. I was just about to flush the stock fill and replace with synthetic, and hadn't learned yet how to bleed (the system, that is)!

01 Sport, front drum brake & birfield joint conversion, custom '4 Wheel Drive' stickers, neon washer nozzles, chrome type 'r' oil pan bolts, wooden bead seat pads, racing exhaust tip, offroad license plate frame,
lots of misc. stuff (2.5" Skyjacker springs, 1" BL, 1"MML, Custom flat tcase & engine skid, RE arms, Skyjacker shocks, JKS Discos, Superlift Trac bars, Garvin bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, Lockright & trac-lock, 32" BFG KM's, Kilby & warn skids, EOR rocker bars, cowl snorkel)
bcompton is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 09:53 AM
airduds
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Well, you are either a phenomenal mechanic or blessed with exceptional luck. I'll put my money on being lucky enough to have never had a problem system.

Since we are in the TJ forum, I'll stick to that context and having swapped in at least 20 pumps and remote reservoirs, I've yet to have one that didn't require cycling the steering gear to remove the air from the system.

I've also swapped in a few stock replacements of which none got by without needing to be bled.
I suppose it's semantics but I don't consider cycling a steering wheel back and forth as a "bleed". Bleed to me means cracking something open somewhere as in bleeding a brake cylinder. In a hydraulic system that has a pump and flow like excavators, ehc control units for valves, and power steering systems, the air will compress into tiny bubbles and come out of solution in the resevoir. It fixes itself rapidly.

If the original poster has air in the system that won't come out I'd be more inclined to think maybe the low side line to the pump was leaking. But then again maybe there's something unique to a TJ.
airduds is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 10:05 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by airduds
I suppose it's semantics but I don't consider cycling a steering wheel back and forth as a "bleed". Bleed to me means cracking something open somewhere as in bleeding a brake cylinder. In a hydraulic system that has a pump and flow like excavators, ehc control units for valves, and power steering systems, the air will compress into tiny bubbles and come out of solution in the resevoir. It fixes itself rapidly.

If the original poster has air in the system that won't come out I'd be more inclined to think maybe the low side line to the pump was leaking. But then again maybe there's something unique to a TJ.
It is semantics, but when you install a steering pump on a TJ, a method to remove the air from the system without starting the motor and foaming the fluid needs to be arrived at.

You are correct with cylinders though. When I did hydro ram assist, I don't bleed them by cracking the lines and letting air out, I just cycle the steering after it's bled to pump fluid in to displace the air back into the reservoir.

Also I'd venture that the pumps you deal with are not 100 percent gravity fed and probably have some suction to them.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 PM
eclipse860
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 7
Ancient post I know but I cannot get all the air out of the system. I have run through this procedure about 5 times now and still get foam within 45 seconds after starting vehicle. I see some posts about running fluid into the low pressure line to the PS pump and letting it dump out the low pressure line from the Steering gear. Are there any other options? Anyone have to do this more than 5 times? All the posts I read and people get it done the first time.
eclipse860 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 04-04-2014, 08:18 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse860 View Post
Ancient post I know but I cannot get all the air out of the system. I have run through this procedure about 5 times now and still get foam within 45 seconds after starting vehicle. I see some posts about running fluid into the low pressure line to the PS pump and letting it dump out the low pressure line from the Steering gear. Are there any other options? Anyone have to do this more than 5 times? All the posts I read and people get it done the first time.
Did you try what I told you to?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM
eclipse860
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 7
Yes. Tightening my loose hose clamp on the low pressure line did the trick. Thank you for the help!
eclipse860 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 04-05-2014, 11:26 AM
robncar
Registered User
 
robncar's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Verne
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...Crank motor for 2.4 seconds to move fluid from reservoir into steering gear and displace air...
Okay, one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one... doh!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-alignment-kit-steps-w-pics-2264465/
robncar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Power Steering pump leaking pink liquid - can the pump be fixed, or replaced? Sparty TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 10 01-13-2010 10:29 PM
Leaky Power Steering Pump and Steering Clunk. KATSTJ TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 01-03-2009 05:03 PM
Steering suddenly shudders @ low speed...power steering pump? Please help pinpoint! captndiltz TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 08-20-2008 03:23 PM
Chevy Power Steering Pump / Jeep Steering Box ? glenno YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 8 01-16-2008 01:40 PM
bleeding power steering lines? ILLgreenjeep TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 06-08-2007 04:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome