Best V8 engine swap?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 46 Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 PM
jeepwrangler97

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll throw another vote in for a 4.6L or 4.7L stroker, especially considering you already have a 4.0. You could also look at 5.0L Ford's, dodge 5.2L or 5.7L, but none of the v8's are drop in.

EDIT: just read you have to change the mounts on the frame anyways, I would still say the 4.6/4.7 if you already have the 4.0 stuff to work with, but a V8 isn't a bad option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 07:14 AM
crusher242

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know it's not a v8, but what about a 4bt? I'm currently torn between the 4bt and a stroker.

Hold onto something... Quick!!!
post #18 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosplace View Post
No way would I go back to a carburetor after having injection!! Since the OP has to weld in new mounts anyhow, I would seriously look at using a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum V8. Just buy a complete Dodge truck as the donor so that you get the engine, trans, PCM and wiring all in one package.
Who mentioned carb?

FI has been around for a long time now and has been hacked in every format possible, not to mention companies like Halteck who have been around for a very long time now and have prove technology on FI.

A great system for torque was the old tuned port Chevy FI. Dime a dozen and tons of support. They were in earlier Corvettes, Camaro and such. Not a good high reving FI because of the runner length and size, perfect for a torque engine. That's the blessings of the 350, so many configurations to choose from and the competition keeps the prices with in reason.

Simplicity would be to stroke an inline six. After years and years of engines swaps and the headaches that come with it, simplicity is my route. If I wanted to do an engine swap just for the sake of the swap, I'd go with the newer verison V6 because I know I could make everything fit and work easily or better put,with less head aches.

What I would really like to do is see what the 3.5 in my 350z would be like in the Jeep, 7.5K redline is just pure fun.......................

post #19 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
... If I wanted to do an engine swap just for the sake of the swap, I'd go with the newer verison V6 because I know I could make everything fit and work easily or better put,with less head aches.

What I would really like to do is see what the 3.5 in my 350z would be like in the Jeep, 7.5K redline is just pure fun.......................
A V6 or a Nissan motor? Are you crazy?
post #20 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
mschviuz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't compare other v8 swaps into a jeep to my 5.0 swap, but I can say that the 5.0 swap wasn't that bad. I originally looked into swapping for a golen stroker but after researching I decided to do the v8. I rebuilt the 5.0 once I got it so machine shop prices and part are added in and I came out cheaper than I would have with going the stroker route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Karvin
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

If you were looking to raise the redline... why not get a rotary engine out of an older RX-7?

But back to the OP question.... I would, and am thinking about, going with a Chevy 383 stroker. They start originally as a 350 so there are still plenty of parts laying about for "bolt-on" performance. With proper adjustment on the carb, or properly jetted fuel injection, you shouldn't see much less MPG than a I6 4.0 gets as it is. Available engines from the Chevy 350 line-up are... the 350, 383, and the 400. I have heard that the 327 is the same block but I am not positive. I would avoid the 400, the piston walls are a bit on the thin side and the engines tend to run hot.

Still doing more research into cost and procedure to see if the HP/Torque to Pain In The *** ratio is good enough.
post #22 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 AM
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This subject has been discussed 10,000 times, every possible motor swap has been done, Viper V10's, Hemi 6.1's, Hemi 5.7's, various 4.0 strokers between 4.5L and 4.9L, chevy motors, ford motors, diesels, you name it, it's been done.

Here's the deal, the 4.0 has enough power to get it done, as long as it's geared properly. If the motors blown and you have some extra money buy a Golen 4.6 and call it done.

If you really want a V8 then get a Hemi 5.7, you can run a Chevy V8 but you can't run the Jeep computer or any of the gauges.

If you had a 4 banger I would say go for the Dodge V8 because you have to do the same amount of work to put the V8 in as you would a 4.0.

No matter what motor you chose your still going to want to re-gear your axles, so set aside around $1,200 for that.

What's your budget for the motor swap?

If you go for a V8 what transmission do you plan to run, and what's your budget for that?

Right now you most likely have 3.07 gears with 29"-31" tires, it says you want to run 33" tires, if your 4.0 is in good working order then all you need to do is re-gear and call it a day.

A new stock 4.0 long block will set you back about $1,500

A new Golen 4.6 stroker with everything you need will run you about $4,500

A new Hemi 5.7 will run you $5,000, you will still need thousands of dollars in extras and will need to cut motor mounts off, weld new ones on, notch the frame for the alternator to fit, exhaust work, splicing the motors harness into the TJ computer, finding a transmission and modifying everything to make it fit. There's some build threads with motor swaps, they add up the thousands of dollars they spent threw the whole process.

2001 TJ 4.6 Auto 4.5" AEV suspension 35's
2002 TJ 4.0 Manual 3" BDS suspension 33's
1987 Chevy 1 Ton 12" suspension 44's
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke

Last edited by emev0l; 06-27-2010 at 11:42 AM.
post #23 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
ja4man

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing says Jeep V-8 like a MOPAR crate Hemi.

But if I had the OP's TJ, I'd go with a stroked I6.

2004 'Quick Silver' Rubicon
post #24 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
This subject has been discussed 10,000 times, every possible motor swap has been done, Viper V10's, Hemi 6.1's, Hemi 5.7's, various 4.0 strokers between 4.5L and 4.9L, chevy motors, ford motors, diesels, you name it, it's been done.

Here's the deal, the 4.0 has enough power to get it done, as long as it's geared properly. If the motors blown and you have some extra money buy a Golen 4.6 and call it done...
The response that the 4.0 has enough power has been given 10,000 times.

This topic would not be so popular if that were true.
post #25 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
mschviuz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

True....Never enough power!
Attached Thumbnails
a_007.jpg  

post #26 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM
finalreckoning
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
True....Never enough power!
I want one!
I could live in that!

Green Jeep Member #273
High School Jeepers #169
post #27 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 PM
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

Maybe if people would gear there axles to what there doing with the vehicle the topic wouldn't come up as much.

Don't get me wrong, more power is always nice, would I mind an extra 100hp and 100ft lbs of torque in my jeep, nope I wouldn't mind it a bit. Do I need it? no, it's a lifted jeep, the tires will already let go around a corner on a dry day and it goes over 100mph.

I run 35's with 4.10 gears and a Golen 4.6 stroker

The OP has 3.07 gears and plans to run 33" tires, a stock 4.0 with 4.56-4.88 gears will be plenty, especially because he is only driving this jeep on the street.

I'm not telling anyone not to stroke the 4.0, I'm not telling anyone not to put a V8 in there jeep, I just want everyone to realize how much money and work they need to put into it and how much a re-gear really does help.

2001 TJ 4.6 Auto 4.5" AEV suspension 35's
2002 TJ 4.0 Manual 3" BDS suspension 33's
1987 Chevy 1 Ton 12" suspension 44's
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
post #28 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvin View Post
If you were looking to raise the redline... why not get a rotary engine out of an older RX-7?

But back to the OP question.... I would, and am thinking about, going with a Chevy 383 stroker. They start originally as a 350 so there are still plenty of parts laying about for "bolt-on" performance. With proper adjustment on the carb, or properly jetted fuel injection, you shouldn't see much less MPG than a I6 4.0 gets as it is. Available engines from the Chevy 350 line-up are... the 350, 383, and the 400. I have heard that the 327 is the same block but I am not positive. I would avoid the 400, the piston walls are a bit on the thin side and the engines tend to run hot.

Still doing more research into cost and procedure to see if the HP/Torque to Pain In The *** ratio is good enough.
Chevy blocks from the 265 to the 400 are all the same. Crank beings sizes got bigger in the latter 60's, 69 327 has large journal. The 327 was made famous by the 375 HP 327. Because of the short stroke it can rev high.

The 400 has the largest bore 4.125, it was designed for trucks and station wagons, lots of low end torque, it's a low RPM beast, perfect for a Jeep. There are a ton of 427 after market small block chevy's out there that run very well.

It's such an easy motor to work with, anything you want or need is available.
post #29 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 PM
breckboarder55

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvin View Post

\
As the owner of two RX-7s and a Jeep, that is a terrible idea.

He said he wanted a V-8, he knows what the 4.0 drives like... I think he knows he wants a V-8...

A V-8 will still be more efficient, and most likely produce more power than a stroked 4.0 anyway. For the amount of money that would go into stroking and building a 4.0, the power gains don't seem to be worth it to me. I will admit I have no first hand experience with stroked 4.0s or V-8 swapping TJs, but I have a decent amount of experience with modern V-8s.

It is my opinion that if you were to go through the effort to swap a V-8, that a gen III/IV GM V-8 would be the best option. They are efficient, affordable, powerful, have excellent aftermarket parts, and the swap has been done many times before. Aluminum block 5.3 is a very sweet swap. I would also not even consider swapping to anything with a carburetor.

Lots of good information here:
Novak Jeep Conversions - Home
Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board (Mods feel free to remove this if forum to forum links are not allowed.) Lots of links if you scroll down to the Engine swaps section. Specifically 5.3l thread.

I'm a real big fan of the aluminum V-8s in general, especially in a Jeep. If you wanted to do something new or different, the new Ford 5.0 would be an awesome swap.

To Veterans past and present, thank you for your service!
99 Jeep Wrangler-Just another TJ on 33"s
55 Dodge Royal Lancer- Resto Project
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
post #30 of 46 Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 PM
GroundAssault

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
As the owner of two RX-7s and a Jeep, that is a terrible idea.

He said he wanted a V-8, he knows what the 4.0 drives like... I think he knows he wants a V-8...

A V-8 will still be more efficient, and most likely produce more power than a stroked 4.0 anyway. For the amount of money that would go into stroking and building a 4.0, the power gains don't seem to be worth it to me. I will admit I have no first hand experience with stroked 4.0s or V-8 swapping TJs, but I have a decent amount of experience with modern V-8s.

It is my opinion that if you were to go through the effort to swap a V-8, that a gen III/IV GM V-8 would be the best option. They are efficient, affordable, powerful, have excellent aftermarket parts, and the swap has been done many times before. Aluminum block 5.3 is a very sweet swap. I would also not even consider swapping to anything with a carburetor.

Lots of good information here:
Novak Jeep Conversions - Home
Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board (Mods feel free to remove this if forum to forum links are not allowed.) Lots of links if you scroll down to the Engine swaps section. Specifically 5.3l thread.

I'm a real big fan of the aluminum V-8s in general, especially in a Jeep. If you wanted to do something new or different, the new Ford 5.0 would be an awesome swap.

Now that would be sweet....Hi revving and a V8. What else could you want?

2006 Jeep Wrangler---SOLD!

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in