• 1 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 1 Post By Carp888
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-14-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Carp888

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best TJ Replacement Side Mirror - '97-'03 OE Style

I'm looking for recommendations for replacement side mirrors for my son's 1999 TJ. I'd like to stick with the OE style if I can find some that won't vibrate, jiggle, & move out of place all the time. I know how to tighten the ball joint, but most still don't hold up.

I'm looking at the Kentrol Stainless Steel Mirror Kit in Black ($268). It has pretty good reviews and sounds well made.

Any opinions? Has anyone had success with a certain brand?

I just want it to not vibrate and move out of place.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-14-2020, 05:32 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I upgraded the old square style mirrors on my 98' with the 03-06' style Bestop ones. Worked great. They make the old 97-02' style too.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/mirr...ontent=mirrors

https://www.morris4x4center.com/best...-51262-01.html
Carp888 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-14-2020, 12:07 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the appearance of the earlier mirrors on a TJ, but the '03-'06 style really are so much better about keeping their adjustment.

On a different note, maybe it's due to years of exposure to bad quality parts from the ubiquitous JC Whitney catalogs, but I tend to cringe anytime I see an aftermarket part that's covered in chrome or stainless.
TJosh02 and Carp888 like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 13 Old 06-14-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Carp888

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I like the appearance of the earlier mirrors on a TJ, but the '03-'06 style really are so much better about keeping their adjustment.

On a different note, maybe it's due to years of exposure to bad quality parts from the ubiquitous JC Whitney catalogs, but I tend to cringe anytime I see an aftermarket part that's covered in chrome or stainless.

Thanks for replying. From what I've seen searching this forum, the 03 - 06 mirrors are just better. But he jeep already has side mount brackets at the windshild hinge (off the door) which I like and was hoping to stick with. But I don't think the 03-06 mirrors have the pivot bolt that would be needed to attach the mirror to the side mount bracket. It's sealed up and incased in the plastic arm.

It's probably one of those deals that you can't have your cake and eat it too. I was just hoping there was a high quality '97-'03 style mirror that held up better than the rest.

PS - Agreed, I would never put chrome on a jeep, the headlight trim is the only place that is appropriate IMO. Kentrol's Stainless Steel Mirrors also come in a powder coat black finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Side View Mirror 3.jpg.jpg  
Attached Images

post #5 of 13 Old 06-14-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Carp888

1999 TJ Wrangler 

@TheBoogieman

Thanks Bro. See my reply above. You know, I had the square one's on my CJ5 & CJ8 and they vibrated but were functional. So maybe that's on the table, I'm just hoping to do better. I bought this rig for my Son, he turns 16 in a week. So I'm trying to make it as safe as possible since he's on 35's.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-16-2020, 07:28 AM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same mirror mover brackets on my 99. They came with it when we bought it for my son, that was in 2004. He's got a JK now and this one is mine. So far they aren't vibrating any more than the rest of the Jeep.

For a while I had a 98 and bought the same brackets for it and a set of the aftermarket 03-06 style. Lot's of vibration issues. I let them go when I sold the Jeep even though they looked better when the Jeep was sitting still.

You might check with Davey's Jeeps or a salvage yard for a set. I looked all over for a decent set for my 98 with no success.
Carp888 likes this.

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #7 of 13 Old 06-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp888 View Post
Thanks for replying. From what I've seen searching this forum, the 03 - 06 mirrors are just better. But he jeep already has side mount brackets at the windshild hinge (off the door) which I like and was hoping to stick with. But I don't think the 03-06 mirrors have the pivot bolt that would be needed to attach the mirror to the side mount bracket. It's sealed up and incased in the plastic arm.

It's probably one of those deals that you can't have your cake and eat it too. I was just hoping there was a high quality '97-'03 style mirror that held up better than the rest.

PS - Agreed, I would never put chrome on a jeep, the headlight trim is the only place that is appropriate IMO. Kentrol's Stainless Steel Mirrors also come in a powder coat black finish.
Those brackets are definitely convenient for taking off the doors, but don't they make it hard to see out of the passenger side and also limit how far the doors open?

I had those brackets several years back and it seems like they were a little annoying at times.

I like the 03-06 mirrors for doors on and Harley mirrors for doors off.
Carp888 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
but don't they make it hard to see out of the passenger side and also limit how far the doors open?

I had those brackets several years back and it seems like they were a little annoying at times.
So true. I bought a Jeep with those on it and removed them within a week.
Carp888 likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Carp888

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Those brackets are definitely convenient for taking off the doors, but don't they make it hard to see out of the passenger side and also limit how far the doors open?

I like the 03-06 mirrors for doors on and Harley mirrors for doors off.

OK, this sounds like a good plan. I can't tell if it makes it hard to see out the passenger side because the mirrors that are on there are so screwed up. But I was kind of thinking they seemed a bit too far forward.

I"ll just get the 03-06 for the half doors, and check out those Harley's. Do the Harley's work pretty well? Do they stay in place? Very wobbly/vibratey?

Thanks for your tips guys, this is a good solution.

And I'm getting the Best Top High Rocks @TheBoogieman suggested.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2020, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Carp888

1999 TJ Wrangler 

NM

This is what happens when you can't let go:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-19-2020, 06:59 AM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

For my other Jeep before I got mirror movers I bought these for running doors off. Take the brackets off and stick a bolt in the door hinge. It's a pain to have to put them on but you are legal in states that require them.

Over time they got bent for better functionality.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/33011_02.htm

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #12 of 13 Old 06-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp888 View Post
OK, this sounds like a good plan. I can't tell if it makes it hard to see out the passenger side because the mirrors that are on there are so screwed up. But I was kind of thinking they seemed a bit too far forward.

I"ll just get the 03-06 for the half doors, and check out those Harley's. Do the Harley's work pretty well? Do they stay in place? Very wobbly/vibratey?

Thanks for your tips guys, this is a good solution.

And I'm getting the Best Top High Rocks @TheBoogieman suggested.
Harley mirrors work well. They do not vibrate much. No more than any other mirror.

You might be able to score a set for free. Harley guys might change out stuff more often than we do.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-19-2020, 10:58 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not a fan of any chrome, but I used these doors off "Harley" mirrors on my old TJ. Go figure.
Attached Images

NashvilleTJ likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in