Best Short Arms? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
ej's tj

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Best Short Arms?

So I am loving my LJ with the DPG Ultimate kit , the only problem is when I hit a good size bump it feels like the front axle is on the verge of over powering the stock control arms and departing from my Jeep . My guess is that the stock arms are 1. not operating at their optimal angle due to the lift and/or 2. are at an increased disadvantage due to the angle and allow for more unintentional movement than before. It is not extreme or dangerous it is more of an annoyance and being a little a.r. I would like to fix it right...... suggestions?

2005 Unlimited Rubicon bright red, wet okole, 2 1/2" (more like 3"+) HD OME 1 1/4" JKS BL, JKS Discos, 1" JKS MML,28575R16 BFG MTs, Custom HD rear bumper, 2 year old Akita,
9500 lb. milemarker winch, kilby gas tank skid, home made rear bumper and tire carrier, lite dot taillights, more to come!!!!!!

Integrity is a rare find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-07-2006, 08:04 PM
otisdog
2008 WK 

Really the only way to deal with it is with a longarm kit. You could get adjustable lower arms and adjust them a tad longer than stock [lifting shortens the wheelbase]. But the improvement would be minimal. That's the disadvantage to short arm lifts. The increased angle of the CA arms transmits more bumps to the frame instead of into the springs. You do gain strength with aftermaket CA's but you really need to get some that have a means of flexing. The RE's, Curries and JKS all have a means of flexing which take some of the stress off the CA mounts.
Jim

08 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
ej's tj

2005 LJ Wrangler 

thanks

Thanks, I would really like to get the Nth degree short arms but at $1200 for the set I think going to a long arm would be better....unfortunately my cajones are not large enough to cut mounts off my 2005 Jeep frame....

2005 Unlimited Rubicon bright red, wet okole, 2 1/2" (more like 3"+) HD OME 1 1/4" JKS BL, JKS Discos, 1" JKS MML,28575R16 BFG MTs, Custom HD rear bumper, 2 year old Akita,
9500 lb. milemarker winch, kilby gas tank skid, home made rear bumper and tire carrier, lite dot taillights, more to come!!!!!!

Integrity is a rare find!

post #4 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Expat
Frequent flyer

Get the JKS adjustables from DPG. Many have reported HUGE ride improvements after adding them. I started with them(JKS arms) and run RE 3.5" coils and have a nice ride.

05 RME Fire Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" RE springs, JKS F&R adj track bars, JKS adj CAs (all 8), OME LT shocks, JKS quicker discos, JKS 1.25" BL, MORE BP MML, 35" Cooper SSTs on 057 Eagle Alloys, 4.56s Detroit lockers, Alloy USA front and rear axles, Currie HD steering, 52" Hanson front bumper, Warn 9.5ti with in-cab control, Kilby steering box skid, Jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier, Jeeperman trail skidz, 33 Eng TT, JB SSSYE, TW driveshaft, and lots more........
2007 WK Overland Steel Blue..wifes
1997 ZJ Laredo...sons
2004 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Diesel..My TV and DD and Lance camper carrier
2003 Chaparral 223 deck boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjp98TJ
drop the purse, and hit it.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 PM
jrtdogbone

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running RE Adjustable CA with Super Ride Bushings. They ride quite nice with the OME 4" Springs and Long Travel Shocks!

The Dog

The Dog 😎

2004 Jeep Willys
2006 Jeep Unlimited
post #6 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Polaris

If you decide to go with RE arms I woudn't go with Super-Ride bushings. They put more stress on the brackets which will cause them to fail eventually in comparison to the rebuildable and really flexible Super-Flex joints. Super-Ride joints also offer a much harsher ride in comparison to Super-Flex joints. I run all eight adjustables... great ride!

2000 TJ Sport, 3-speed slushbox
HP30, ChroMoly shafts, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10s 35s
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
JeepGal

2002 TJ Wrangler 

RE adjustables with the Heim Joints

post #8 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:51 PM
dirtgrip

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Currie CA's with Johnny Joints: http://currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx

Large vacuum leak sucking all the dead presidents out of my wallet.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Polaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGal
RE adjustables with the Heim Joints

RE does not use heim joints.

2000 TJ Sport, 3-speed slushbox
HP30, ChroMoly shafts, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10s 35s
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

post #10 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
jrtdogbone

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
If you decide to go with RE arms I woudn't go with Super-Ride bushings. They put more stress on the brackets which will cause them to fail eventually in comparison to the rebuildable and really flexible Super-Flex joints. Super-Ride joints also offer a much harsher ride in comparison to Super-Flex joints. I run all eight adjustables... great ride!
That's your preference not a fact. The super ride offer a much better on road ride. The super flex joints may offer slightly better flex, but rquire a great amount of maintance.

It about personal preference, everyones is different!

The Dog 😎

2004 Jeep Willys
2006 Jeep Unlimited
post #11 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 PM
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtdogbone
That's your preference not a fact. The super ride offer a much better on road ride. The super flex joints may offer slightly better flex, but rquire a great amount of maintance.

It about personal preference, everyones is different!
Fact is Super Ride arms will put far more stress on your LCA mounts than the Super Flex arms. Super Flex arms may not necessarily flex anymore, but they will take a lot of stress off the control arm mounts, which are already prone to failure.

Another fact, at least in our area of the world, is that Super Flex joints will out last the OEM rubber bushings on a Jeep that sees any significant trail use. They do require occasional greasing, but I wouldn't call that a great amount of maintenance, especially considering the fact that they should outlast the rubber bushings and they're rebuildable. Old style Tera arms for instance, require what I would consider a great amount of maintenance.

I would also say as a fact that you will notice little to no difference on road between a Super Flex and a Super Ride arm. The names really are misleading. There is a small difference, but most people can't even notice it. I've tried both and I can't tell a significant difference, and I tend to be pretty picky .

I personally wouldn't run a control arm with rubber bushings at each end on a Jeep that sees ANY trail use. I see no benefit on road, and I would expect the bushings to wear quickly or the control arm brackets to fail overtime.

In regards to control arm preference, I like the RE Super Flex arms as well as the Currie Johnny Joint arms.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
RE does not use heim joints.
So if I show you a set of RE arms with rod ends (Heim Brand) will you apologize for being wrong?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 AM
BillR

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by #20 Home Depot
Get the JKS adjustables from DPG. Many have reported HUGE ride improvements after adding them. I started with them(JKS arms) and run RE 3.5" coils and have a nice ride.
x2 on the JKS arms. VERY beefy, great flex and a great ride.

'11 JK Unlimited Sport S, stock for now...
'08 JK X, OEM rear locker and swaybar disco!
post #14 of 22 Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 AM
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
So if I show you a set of RE arms with rod ends (Heim Brand) will you apologize for being wrong?
old timer
post #15 of 22 Old 07-11-2006, 09:49 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock4x4
old timer
Shush, you're supposed to be quiet and not ruin my traps I set for folks.

Actually I did some trading for some stuff and that RE set of uppers with the rod ends on one end was in the batch. I gave them to Scott Hill I think when he destroyed some of his.

I'm glad you know I'm right. That way I don't have to make Scott take a pic and send it to me.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in