JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Best Short Arms? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/best-short-arms-290881/)

ej's tj 07-07-2006 04:52 PM

Best Short Arms?

So I am loving my LJ with the DPG Ultimate kit:rofl: , the only problem is when I hit a good size bump it feels like the front axle is on the verge of over powering the stock control arms and departing from my Jeep:eek: . My guess is that the stock arms are 1. not operating at their optimal angle due to the lift and/or 2. are at an increased disadvantage due to the angle and allow for more unintentional movement than before. It is not extreme or dangerous it is more of an annoyance and being a little a.r. I would like to fix it right...... suggestions? :confused:

otisdog 07-07-2006 07:04 PM

Really the only way to deal with it is with a longarm kit. You could get adjustable lower arms and adjust them a tad longer than stock [lifting shortens the wheelbase]. But the improvement would be minimal. That's the disadvantage to short arm lifts. The increased angle of the CA arms transmits more bumps to the frame instead of into the springs. You do gain strength with aftermaket CA's but you really need to get some that have a means of flexing. The RE's, Curries and JKS all have a means of flexing which take some of the stress off the CA mounts.
Jim

ej's tj 07-10-2006 05:59 PM

thanks

:D Thanks, I would really like to get the Nth degree short arms but at $1200 for the set I think going to a long arm would be better....unfortunately my cajones are not large enough to cut mounts off my 2005 Jeep frame....:(

Expat 07-10-2006 06:38 PM

Get the JKS adjustables from DPG. Many have reported HUGE ride improvements after adding them. I started with them(JKS arms) and run RE 3.5" coils and have a nice ride.

jrtdogbone 07-10-2006 08:05 PM

I'm running RE Adjustable CA with Super Ride Bushings. They ride quite nice with the OME 4" Springs and Long Travel Shocks! :kiss:

The Dog

.. :cool:

Polaris 07-10-2006 08:47 PM

If you decide to go with RE arms I woudn't go with Super-Ride bushings. They put more stress on the brackets which will cause them to fail eventually in comparison to the rebuildable and really flexible Super-Flex joints. Super-Ride joints also offer a much harsher ride in comparison to Super-Flex joints. I run all eight adjustables... great ride!

JeepGal 07-10-2006 08:48 PM

RE adjustables with the Heim Joints :)

dirtgrip 07-10-2006 08:51 PM

Currie CA's with Johnny Joints: http://currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx

Polaris 07-10-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGal
RE adjustables with the Heim Joints :)

RE does not use heim joints.:)

jrtdogbone 07-10-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris
If you decide to go with RE arms I woudn't go with Super-Ride bushings. They put more stress on the brackets which will cause them to fail eventually in comparison to the rebuildable and really flexible Super-Flex joints. Super-Ride joints also offer a much harsher ride in comparison to Super-Flex joints. I run all eight adjustables... great ride!

That's your preference not a fact. The super ride offer a much better on road ride. The super flex joints may offer slightly better flex, but rquire a great amount of maintance.

It about personal preference, everyones is different!

redrock4x4 07-10-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrtdogbone
That's your preference not a fact. The super ride offer a much better on road ride. The super flex joints may offer slightly better flex, but rquire a great amount of maintance.

It about personal preference, everyones is different!

Fact is Super Ride arms will put far more stress on your LCA mounts than the Super Flex arms. Super Flex arms may not necessarily flex anymore, but they will take a lot of stress off the control arm mounts, which are already prone to failure.

Another fact, at least in our area of the world, is that Super Flex joints will out last the OEM rubber bushings on a Jeep that sees any significant trail use. They do require occasional greasing, but I wouldn't call that a great amount of maintenance, especially considering the fact that they should outlast the rubber bushings and they're rebuildable. Old style Tera arms for instance, require what I would consider a great amount of maintenance.

I would also say as a fact that you will notice little to no difference on road between a Super Flex and a Super Ride arm. The names really are misleading. There is a small difference, but most people can't even notice it. I've tried both and I can't tell a significant difference, and I tend to be pretty picky :).

I personally wouldn't run a control arm with rubber bushings at each end on a Jeep that sees ANY trail use. I see no benefit on road, and I would expect the bushings to wear quickly or the control arm brackets to fail overtime.

In regards to control arm preference, I like the RE Super Flex arms as well as the Currie Johnny Joint arms.

mrblaine 07-10-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris
RE does not use heim joints.:)

So if I show you a set of RE arms with rod ends (Heim Brand) will you apologize for being wrong?

BillR 07-11-2006 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #20 Home Depot
Get the JKS adjustables from DPG. Many have reported HUGE ride improvements after adding them. I started with them(JKS arms) and run RE 3.5" coils and have a nice ride.

x2 on the JKS arms. VERY beefy, great flex and a great ride.

redrock4x4 07-11-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine
So if I show you a set of RE arms with rod ends (Heim Brand) will you apologize for being wrong?

old timer :rofl:

mrblaine 07-11-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrock4x4
old timer :rofl:

Shush, you're supposed to be quiet and not ruin my traps I set for folks.

Actually I did some trading for some stuff and that RE set of uppers with the rod ends on one end was in the batch. I gave them to Scott Hill I think when he destroyed some of his.

I'm glad you know I'm right. That way I don't have to make Scott take a pic and send it to me.

The time now is 07:52 PM.