Best method to paint TJ grill? (pics) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Best method to paint TJ grill? (pics)

Hi all...my grill is pretty beat up and I want to bedliner it. I'm a newbie painter at best and am not sure the best method to tackle this. It looks like a PITA to remove the grill so do you think I should carefully mask, work around the winch and spray it, get some paint-on bedliner or buck up and remove the grill? I'm really just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM
brplatz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I did mine, popped the hood, blue painters tape around the whole thing. Stuff some newspaper behind the grill. Go to town, light even strokes
Attached Thumbnails
image-3686348426.jpg  

The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

I'd take the winch off, remove the headlight bezles, and unbolt the metalcloaks and open the hood. Then it would be very easy to paint it without removing it. You could probably just mask around the metal cloaks too. But if you want to do it nice, probably best to unbolt them. You'll probably have a hard time working around the winch though, so I'd remove that for sure.

post #4 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I think I'll unbolt the winch, remove the headlight bezels, mask the hell out of everything around it, sand, primer and spray. I just needed a little encouragement! Thanks again.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

post up your results

post #6 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
post up your results
Will do.

Last edited by Scott2pt0; 04-25-2012 at 04:45 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
lancetkenyon

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pull it. It only takes a couple hours and you can get EVERYTHING clean first and then paint it. Then re-install and the finish product will be better.

Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
jeepinjeffrey

2003 TJ Wrangler 

a good sanding and prep is key! take your time and nice light easy strokes you got it!

2003 Wrangler Sport
4.5 Rubicon Express Lift|33" BFG KM2s|Ion Alloy 174|And never ending wish list!
post #9 of 23 Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I took a stab at it and I'm pretty happy with the results. The grill had some pretty bad dings and dents under the rust and they're still there, but I think it looks a hell of a lot better. I took a wire wheel to the real bad rust, then sanded, primed and sprayed on 3 coats of Rustoleum bedliner. Out of pure laziness, I didnt remove anything including the headlight bezels as the the lights themselves seem to stick out too far, preventing me from accessing the torx screws. Not sure why, but I taped around them and it came out great.

Before pics are above in my OP. Here are the afters:

post #10 of 23 Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 PM
PurpleTJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So you just masked everything off? Looks pretty good, from that distance. Got any close up pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

post #11 of 23 Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, just masked everything. No overspray and using drop sheets, it was much less of a PITA than I anticipated. Again, the grill itself is far from perfect but it looks much cleaner IMO and considering I'm a complete newbie at painting anything, I feel like it was a success. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

post #12 of 23 Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM
PurpleTJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It definitely looks good for just masking and spraying around everything. Obviously I haven't seen it in person, but I can't see any overspray or anything in the pics. Well done.

Where's Berkley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

post #13 of 23 Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTJ View Post
It definitely looks good for just masking and spraying around everything. Obviously I haven't seen it in person, but I can't see any defects in the pics. Well done.

Where's Berkley?
Thanks. There really aren't any flaws in the paint job itself (to my pleasant surprise!), just the beat up grill underneath.

Berkley is right next to Royal Oak. 20 minutes north of Daytwah.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

And you didn't also paint the bezels???? Came out good though.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Scott2pt0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
And you didn't also paint the bezels???? Came out good though.
I really wanted to, and still do, but like I mentioned above I can't gain access to the torx screws holding them in and gave up and just masked them. I've only owned the Jeep for a couple weeks so I'm not sure what the PO did but the lights themselves cover up the screw heads and I can't seem to get any clearance to get a tool in there. I've seen pics of other TJ's headlights and it seems normal ones are more recessed in the bezels than mine for some reason, making normal access to the screws a lot easier. I know I'll eventually need to figure it out but got impatient.

EDIT: I do have HIDs so maybe that's why they sit differently in the housing. Still frustrating not knowing how I'll ever be able to get them off though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in