Best Locker for 97 TJ 2.5 - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-31-2020, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
emo69

Best Locker for 97 TJ 2.5

Looking for advise on best locker for 97 TJ 4cyl and opinion on doing front or rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-31-2020, 08:25 AM
tworley

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
For a selectable locker I like my ARBs.You will need a compressor to activate them. You don't know they are there until you flip the switch. They also lock/unlock much quicker compared to a Detroit locker which needs to turn a 1/2 or 3/4 rotation before locking/unlocking
TheBoogieman likes this.

Colorado Member 307
post #3 of 18 Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo69 View Post
Looking for advise on best locker for 97 TJ 4cyl and opinion on doing front or rear.
Best locker is like asking about best tires or shocks, everyone has their opinions. PowerTrax Lock Right locker. Easy and no loud noises. I'm assuming you're asking about the best lockers for mild use. My 4 cylinder Jeep never needed one because it didn't have enough power to make the tires spin.

p.s. I don't think NashvilleTJ has those problems.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_003.htm
NashvilleTJ likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 18 Old 03-31-2020, 11:35 AM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What axles are under your rig? What is your interned usage for the rig? My YJ has front/rear ARBs, TJ has a Detroit rear/Grizzly front, and XJ has a Spartan front/Yukon rear. The lockers all work flawlessly and I have no complaints.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-31-2020, 04:03 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your 2.5L TJ came with a Dana 35 in the rear axle which is not strong enough for a locker. So that means that you should only lock the front. A lunchbox locker like the Aussie or Powertrax No-Slip would be a good choice. In 2wd they don't cause steering issues on the street. The Aussie only very softly clicks when making turns on the street when in 2wd, the $100 more Powertrax No-Slip works the same way but it is silent during turns in 2wd when on the street. I had the No-Slip in my previous daily driver TJ and really liked it.

The only time I wouldn't recommend a front lunchbox locker would be if you have to use 4x4 during the winter for ice or snow covered roads. If you will please complete your Profile with things like information on your Jeep and where you live that would be helpful for future conversations.
jeepguy03 likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Best locker is like asking about best tires or shocks, everyone has their opinions. PowerTrax Lock Right locker. Easy and no loud noises. I'm assuming you're asking about the best lockers for mild use. My 4 cylinder Jeep never needed one because it didn't have enough power to make the tires spin.

p.s. I don't think NashvilleTJ has those problems.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_003.htm

Iím glad you have not lost your sense of humor, Boog. Iíve been thinking about you.
TheBoogieman likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2020, 09:11 PM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Your 2.5L TJ came with a Dana 35 in the rear axle which is not strong enough for a locker. So that means that you should only lock the front. A lunchbox locker like the Aussie or Powertrax No-Slip would be a good choice. In 2wd they don't cause steering issues on the street. The Aussie only very softly clicks when making turns on the street when in 2wd, the $100 more Powertrax No-Slip works the same way but it is silent during turns in 2wd when on the street. I had the No-Slip in my previous daily driver TJ and really liked it.

The only time I wouldn't recommend a front lunchbox locker would be if you have to use 4x4 during the winter for ice or snow covered roads. If you will please complete your Profile with things like information on your Jeep and where you live that would be helpful for future conversations.
Interesting, I've been debating on what lunchbox locker to get for my TJ. I have the Dana 44 rear (with a probably now worn out trac-lok) and an AX-15. I've read locking the rear can cause a bit more "lash" when driving on the street with a manual. This is concerning since my Jeep would be 99% street driven. It won't see snow, so no worries there. Maybe locking the front with a Powertrax or Aussie is a better solution if it doesn't mess with the steering in 2WD.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #8 of 18 Old 04-01-2020, 09:32 AM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

Why do you say the 35 isn't strong enough for a locker? I have had one(Detroit) in my TJ Sahara for about 100k now with no issues. I am running 33" mud terrains and daily drive, weekly wheel it. Granted I'm not beating the ***** out of it, but not kind to it in most cases and have had zero issues with it. If you drive it sensibly and pay mind to the skinny pedal and set it up right the first time, it will last. I also have an aussie in the front and it operates just as Jerry explains. Just my .02
post #9 of 18 Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeJeepJoe View Post
Why do you say the 35 isn't strong enough for a locker? I have had one(Detroit) in my TJ Sahara for about 100k now with no issues. I am running 33" mud terrains and daily drive, weekly wheel it. Granted I'm not beating the ***** out of it, but not kind to it in most cases and have had zero issues with it. If you drive it sensibly and pay mind to the skinny pedal and set it up right the first time, it will last. I also have an aussie in the front and it operates just as Jerry explains. Just my .02
Results vary. Some are easy on their rigs and don't break anything, others could probably manage to destroy a D44 on stock tires. The D35 is known to be weaker than the D44, so a locker is a risk. It isn't the toothpick most people claim it to be (I had one in one of my XJ's) but if it's pushed then it WILL break. Personally I think one could get away with a locker in the D35 with a 2.5L and some gentle driving just fine, but it's up to what the OP wants to do with their money.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #10 of 18 Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 AM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy03 View Post
Results vary. Some are easy on their rigs and don't break anything, others could probably manage to destroy a D44 on stock tires. The D35 is known to be weaker than the D44, so a locker is a risk. It isn't the toothpick most people claim it to be (I had one in one of my XJ's) but if it's pushed then it WILL break. Personally I think one could get away with a locker in the D35 with a 2.5L and some gentle driving just fine, but it's up to what the OP wants to do with their money.
Totally get where you are coming from, broken many parts myself and have been around jeeps and wheeling for all my life. A locker is a risk in any diff when you consider it. I think what you're getting at is some folks could dent a steel ball with a feather duster! but to blanket a topic with an absolute "no" when there so many variables is not right either. I agree, it is ultimately up to the OP and his cash, but he should go into his decision with as much info as possible.
jeepguy03 likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

the shafts are a major weak point in the D35. if they are upgraded to 1541h shafts then a locker is acceptable. hence the S35
jeepguy03 and BrokeJeepJoe like this.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-10-2020, 11:22 AM
dgaylord
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When we talk axles, diffs, tires, and such; everyone has an opinion based on their experience or what they have gleened from various threads.
The only opinions that matters are yours and the person you choose to listen to.
I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5 liter engine, AX-5, and D30 / D35 axles.
Nine months ago I put a PowerTrax Grip Pro in the rear and a couple months ago I added one to the front.
Theses are geared traction control systems. No air or electric required. No friction mod in the gear oil. No on / off switch They provide traction control all the time without any clicking, jerking, pulling, or other negative side effects.
When I put the unit in the front, I removed the rear drive shaft to test how it would drive in front wheel drive. This would provide a test of what to expect if running in 4x4 in the winter in ice / snow. I drove it slowly at first and then up to road speed through the Twisties. Accelerated and decelerated going straight and turning. The only time I become aware it was there was making a hard turn such as in a parking lot.
I recommend the Grip Pro or a similar unit from another manufacturer.
It is worth noting that I'm running 4:88 and I have 4340 chrome-moly axles front /rear.
The geared systems are more expensive than the various clickers. If you can't steal enough grocery money and won't be driving on the road in ice and snow, the lunchbox lockers are a good choice but I expect they have a lifecycle and then must be replaced.
Either way, I would not put in a traction control device without first upgrading axle shafts.
I ramble.

If man built it, man can fix it. If another can fix it, so can I. Just might take a bit longer.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-10-2020, 11:34 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The PowerTrax Grip Pro isn't a locker so it isn't terribly germane to the OP's question. While adding stronger shafts to the D35 isn't a bad idea, they are not necessary when installing a limited slip differential.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #14 of 18 Old 04-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
the shafts are a major weak point in the D35. if they are upgraded to 1541h shafts then a locker is acceptable. hence the S35
So long as they are 30 spline shafts. 1541H 27 spline shafts aren't that much stronger.
Ironhead likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-11-2020, 07:38 AM
willis36
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaylord View Post
When we talk axles, diffs, tires, and such; everyone has an opinion based on their experience or what they have gleened from various threads.
The only opinions that matters are yours and the person you choose to listen to.
I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5 liter engine, AX-5, and D30 / D35 axles.
Nine months ago I put a PowerTrax Grip Pro in the rear and a couple months ago I added one to the front.
Theses are geared traction control systems. No air or electric required. No friction mod in the gear oil. No on / off switch They provide traction control all the time without any clicking, jerking, pulling, or other negative side effects.
When I put the unit in the front, I removed the rear drive shaft to test how it would drive in front wheel drive. This would provide a test of what to expect if running in 4x4 in the winter in ice / snow. I drove it slowly at first and then up to road speed through the Twisties. Accelerated and decelerated going straight and turning. The only time I become aware it was there was making a hard turn such as in a parking lot.
I recommend the Grip Pro or a similar unit from another manufacturer.
It is worth noting that I'm running 4:88 and I have 4340 chrome-moly axles front /rear.
The geared systems are more expensive than the various clickers. If you can't steal enough grocery money and won't be driving on the road in ice and snow, the lunchbox lockers are a good choice but I expect they have a lifecycle and then must be replaced.
Either way, I would not put in a traction control device without first upgrading axle shafts.
I ramble.
I have been wanting one of those for the rear of my WJ, not a lot of feedback on those. Good to hear you having good luck with yours! Quite a bit cheaper than a trutrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in