Best Fuel Tank Skid - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Best Fuel Tank Skid

Hey fellow Jeepers,

So after a fantastic trip to Moab, doing only the most difficult trails, I quickly realized that the stock fuel tank skid is not going to cut it. It seems to be a step up from tin foil on the pre-2003's.

I am trying not to add a bunch of weight to the vehicle to maintain some gas mileage, but I'd like to get a skid plate that can take a beating.

I've narrowed it down to the Metalcloak part aluminum, part steel skid and the slightly more expensive Savvy Offroad all aluminum skid.

I've heard great things about the Savvy skid, but being completely aluminum, I'm very curious as to wether or not anyone has had any experience bashing it and what it did to the plate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think that you'll find a gas tank skid plate that mounts in the same place as the OEM skid, has more clearance and weighs less than the Savvy one being offered.

As far as its durability, I doubt you'll find complaints about it...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Savvy or genright

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

My LJ Cummins 4BT with 1 Ton's Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X3 on the Savvy. I've had one on two TJs and consider it pretty darned bulletproof.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2015, 03:09 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hard to beat savvys fit and strength!
The best skid on the market imho.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy skid has been on the market maybe 5 years? Think about how many skids that means they have sold. As far as I know there has only been 1 or 2 warranteed in that time and at least one that was warranteed really didn't need to be.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
Hey fellow Jeepers,

So after a fantastic trip to Moab, doing only the most difficult trails, I quickly realized that the stock fuel tank skid is not going to cut it. It seems to be a step up from tin foil on the pre-2003's.

I am trying not to add a bunch of weight to the vehicle to maintain some gas mileage, but I'd like to get a skid plate that can take a beating.

I've narrowed it down to the Metalcloak part aluminum, part steel skid and the slightly more expensive Savvy Offroad all aluminum skid.

I've heard great things about the Savvy skid, but being completely aluminum, I'm very curious as to wether or not anyone has had any experience bashing it and what it did to the plate.
FWIW, the Savvy is partially steel....the mounting brackets are steel. the skid itself is aluminum.

I run the Savvy skid....and it's awesome. would definitely recommend it. can't speak to Metalcloak though, haven't seen one.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 PM
jeepstangdude

Have run a Kilby tank skid for years. They were the hot ticket in 2003.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstangdude View Post
Have run a Kilby tank skid for years. They were the hot ticket in 2003.
The Savvy gas thank skid came out in the late 2000's (IIRC) and has 3/4" more clearance then the Kilby and weighs 30lbs less, I know because that's what I replaced my Kilby with.

Some may say that 3/4" isn't enough to worry about. I think it does, that's why I installed a rear axle with 3/4" more clearance than a d35...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2015, 10:58 PM
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Savvy. Wouldn't run anything else.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM
mike_dippert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've owned Rokmen and Savvy.
Both are great.
I like the Savvy more.

Tags
armor , savvy , savvy under armor , skid plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in