BDS Fox shocks vs Savvy Fox shocks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-02-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

BDS Fox shocks vs Savvy Fox shocks

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a set of Fox shocks but do not know which company to go through and I am looking for some guidance. Everyone knows and loves Savvy, and so do I as I have installed a lot of their products on my Jeep, but after a conversation with someone over there I have found that they only change the tune of the rear shocks and leave the fronts alone (basically stock tune from Fox). I just want to confirm that this statement is true and if it is, does BDS do the same thing or do they tune their shocks completely different? Anyone have experience with either brands and how do they compare? Any input would be great. Thanks guys and girls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-02-2016, 01:54 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If someone at Savvy told you that, why would you trust conflicting info from someone on JF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
If someone at Savvy told you that, why would you trust conflicting info from someone on JF?
Completely agree with this guy for once.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK

post #4 of 22 Old 05-02-2016, 02:27 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful with the BDS Fox shocks. They had an issue where they were long. Some poor travel splits come from that. Confirm compressed and extended lengths.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Be careful with the BDS Fox shocks. They had an issue where they were long. Some poor travel splits come from that. Confirm compressed and extended lengths.
I was going to do custom front and rear shock mounts to correct this but the BDS website does have some conflicting numbers. I will have to call them to confirm numbers because their sizes seem to be different then the sizes Savvy gave me and the sizes posted on Polyperformance. A lot of conflicting information on these shocks and even the Fox site will list certain sizes that they don't make anymore.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone comment on the quality of the tune from BDS? I may have to order a set from BDS and a set from Savvy to see if I can tell any difference.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 08:26 AM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
Can anyone comment on the quality of the tune from BDS? I may have to order a set from BDS and a set from Savvy to see if I can tell any difference.
I personally think you are overthinking this shock situation but if you order from both, post up on which you like best.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
post #8 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just be sure to send me the ones you decide not to run.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 AM
jodomcfrodo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I run BDS fox shocks with Savvy Springs. I can't compare the two, but the BDS ones aren't bad. They ride pretty good. I was going to get the savvy ones, but the shop where I got the lift done didn't know about savvy and insisted I get the BDS version. I didn't really think there would be a difference so I got the BDS ones. Honestly, just get Savvy. Everything they make works amazingly, at least on my jeep. I would imagine they'd be better if Savvy is tuning them.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 11:10 AM
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm running the savvy tuned shocks with Currie springs. Rides great.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another quick question that BDS did not have the answer to. Under their fox shocks, they have two shock sizes that don't seem to make sense. Shock 98224965 (Front 3" down near the bottom of the list) and shock 98224967 (shock for the 4.5" lift) have the same compressed length but the 98224967 is an inch longer when extended. When looking at the fox, savvy, and poly performance shock length list, neither of these sizes are listed. I know Fox owns BDS, but how could they have conflicting information? Has anyone ordered either of the shocks listed above, and if so could you get me the compressed and extended lengths?

http://bds-suspension.com/product-di...ab=jeep-shocks
post #12 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know Fox owns BDS, but how could they have conflicting information?
I think they operate very independently. Whole acquisition but then continuing to operate them as a separate company always seemed questionable to me. FOX brand name much more valuable I'd think with consumers and I'd want to take advantage of that.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Deacon

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe they don't want to sully the Fox name with BDS?
post #14 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Maybe they don't want to sully the Fox name with BDS?
Who knows. IMO if you have a brand name like Fox and want to be in the suspension business then be in the suspension business correctly under your own name.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got the numbers from BDS. It looks like they order their shocks with a tune from Fox just like Savvy and they are tuned 70/30 (compression/rebound). I am waiting on Savvy's numbers but BDS said that they tune theirs to be lighter then the Fox tune. If Savvy uses the same tune as the stock Fox shocks, I would assume that the BDS will give a slightly better ride but it may be so insignificant that it wouldn't matter.

Also, BDS offers a Fox 2.0 shock size that I haven't been able to find previously. It looks like that the shock may be an older design where the body is 2" in diameter where as the new Fox 2.0s are 2-3/8ths in diameter. Does anyone know if a smaller bodied shock would perform worse due to less oil being stored in the body? I would assume it would fade faster but the compressed and extended lengths are so much better, it may be worth giving the smaller shocks a shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in