BBK Throttle Body problem Solved. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-08-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
trefts
2006 LJ Wrangler 

BBK Throttle Body problem Solved.

It's a long post so here's goes.
I was having trouble with my idle over the last couple of months. It was slowly creeping up. When the engine was warmed up it would idle around 12-1400 rpm's at a stoplight. The check engine light (cel) would come one periodically as well. The OBD2 code said I had a bad O2 sensor (bank 2 sensor 1). I replaced the same sensor twice before going to mechanic for him to look at it. He found the exhaust manifold had some loose bolts so he tighten them up. This helped some. My idle went down to around 11-1300 rpm's now when the engine was warm. But now the idle was still high, the CEL was on, and now it sounded as if my engine was a tea kettle brewing tea. I replaced the idle air control valve with a MOPAR part and no change. I had a very high pitch whistle noise coming from my engine only when it was under load. I could park it in my driveway, pop the hood, and rev it but no noise would be heard. It was only while driving. and It was getting progressively louder and more pronounced. I took it back to the mechanic who performed a smoke test. He said the only smoke that was seen was coming from the throttle body. After doing a lengthy internet search and calling the local Jeep dealer. Mopar no longer makes a throttle body part, so I ordered an after market part. A BBK Throttle body. I installed the part. and things became worse. My idle was completely erratic, it would stall out, it would run very high (around 2200 rpm's) and occasionally idle normal, CEL was on all the time and whistle noise was still present. After doing all I could think of, I went back to the mechanic and he took a look. He couldn't find anything at first, but after we both compared parts we found the problem. The shaft on the after market BBK throttle body is longer than the MOPAR stock. If the TPS (throttle positioning sensor) is not attached properly it will result in a "stuck" or weak butterfly valve. Which in turn causes all the idle irregularities that I had. I attached pictures so people can see the difference. Also, the whistle sound was cured by using a part that wasn't cracked (like original throttle body) and making sure the gasket was sealed tight using a good gasket sealer. Now engine runs soooo much better, idle is consistent and CEL is off.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0386.jpg   IMG_0380.jpg   IMG_0382.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-08-2018, 01:58 PM
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you found the problem, those kinds of problems can be a bear.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of Off-R-Rockers California Chapter Facebook Group

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in