BB vs H&R lift (LJ Rubi) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the H&R/5100 combo and it does improve the ride over stock, the have TJ specific and LJ specific springs IIRC

"Jeep won World War II"-Adam Ferrara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
dougiefresh131
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My original thought was to do the H&R springs with about a .75 spacer on top to get me a hair under 2". But now looking at the BDS and OME being in a similar cost ballpark as the first option, I'm considering those more. But, I gotta admit, this won't see offroad much at all, so on-road manners are important to me.

I've seen that some say the BDS is stiff or the OME is stiff, but I know its all pretty relative. And shocks are the majority of the ride.

Just want to do this once and have a good result.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-10-2015, 12:48 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131 View Post
My original thought was to do the H&R springs with about a .75 spacer on top to get me a hair under 2". But now looking at the BDS and OME being in a similar cost ballpark as the first option, I'm considering those more. But, I gotta admit, this won't see offroad much at all, so on-road manners are important to me.

I've seen that some say the BDS is stiff or the OME is stiff, but I know its all pretty relative. And shocks are the majority of the ride.

Just want to do this once and have a good result.
Get the Rancho adjustable shocks. That way, you can dial the ride in just how you like it. I've put Zone hydro shocks on 3 of my Jeeps (current one also) and they ride as smooth as stock and are inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-10-2015, 08:44 PM
shyoung1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

dougiefresh131,
Lifts and ride quality, and looks, are such a personal decision, I know what you are going thru! I'll just give my experiences, and you can add them to your thinking.
I had a 97 TJ which I didn't want to lift much, but wanted to look good with 31's, and like you, ride nice on the road. I went with the H&R springs, which raised it virtually exactly 1" and 5100 shocks. I will say, it handled as close to what a Wrangler can be to a sports car, and the ride was better than stock. I really loved that setup.

This spring, I ran across an 04 LJ, softtop, and couldn't resist it! It had 82K miles on it and sat almost three inches higher in the back with stock springs. I consulted with Nick at Kolak Performance, a vendor on this forum, even emailed pics to him. Also, the stock springs still had readable factory numbers on tags wrapped around the springs. With those numbers, he determined both front and rear springs were the heaviest used on 04 TJ/LJ's. LJs' extra length tends to weight the front more, especially with a softtop. This one rode nice with the stock setup, just had too much front rake. The rear sat so high, it made my 31's look too small. Nick suggested going with OME 2.5" front springs, and staying with the stock rear springs, and if it wasn't perfect, OME makes 4mm and 10mm spring spacers to fine tune it a little. And I knew I wanted 5100 shocks again. Installed the front springs and the front sat just a wee bit higher than the rear. Used the OME 4mm (1/2") spacers in the rear and it came out perfect, and the ride and handling is just great!

To add just a little, I didn't have the back seat in all this time because I was contemplating whether I was going to Rhino line the interior. I decided to do that, and the weight of the Rhino lining(that stuff is heavy!) and that heavy a## rear seat, may have set the rear down enuf I might have to try the 10mm rear spring spacers!
So, it was level, rode great, but the 31's just looked too small. I didn't want to go wider with tires, but wanted about 33" height. BF Goodrich has redesigned their All Terrain Radials called KO2's. Supposed to be better in rain, an aggressive looking sidewall, and they came out with a 33x10.50x15, which is actually 32.5" tall. Looks good, I think, rides nice and are much quieter than my MTZ's!

If you, or anyone else for that matter, would like pics, just PM me. Posting pics to forums doesn't usually work for me.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 AM
RubiLongSox
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have an 06 LJ rubicon with 2" BDS Springs and bilsteins from Kolak. The ride is much improved compared to stock, and it gave me right at 2 inches lift over stock. My rig is a little on the heavy side though. Perfect amount of lift for 265/75r16 tires.

2006 LJ Rubicon
1948 Willys CJ2A

Tags
bb , h&r , lift , shocks , springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in