Battery dilemma 2006 Rubicon - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-12-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
MHip
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Battery dilemma 2006 Rubicon

Less than 2 year old battery. Never had a starting problem with my Jeep.
Battery went dead due to sitting. I have a charger, so I trickle charged it for a full day. No sound when I turned the key. Thinking it may need to be "woken up" I went higher amps for 4 hours and then set it back to automatic.
Volt meter says over 12.6, and the lights and stereo come on. But zero sound when I turn the key.
Any suggestions?
I'm thinking of re-setting the computer to see if that does anything. I suppose it could be the starter, but like I've said there was zero issues before it began it's Covid nap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-12-2020, 07:01 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Take the battery cables off and clean the terminals. This will also reset the computer.
MHip likes this.

97 TJ sport.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-12-2020, 09:16 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hook it up to another car with jumper cables. If nothing, it's not the battery.

Tap the starter with a wrench or hammer to see if it's stuck.

Also possibly you ignition switch actuator pin. https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-70.../dp/B004BYX8W8

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon

post #4 of 20 Old 05-13-2020, 12:59 PM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The starter relay went out on my 98 and acted like that. My "new" TJ is a 99 and it has the same relay not sure if an 06 would or not. It's in the big fuse box under the hood, in my case I swapped the horn relay for the starter relay and it worked. Both are the same, I carry a spare now.

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #5 of 20 Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
Hook it up to another car with jumper cables. If nothing, it's not the battery.
Not necessarily. A totally dead battery can suck so much power from the jump start battery that it can't start the engine. That has fooled more than one person into thinking the battery wasn't the cause of the problem. Me included.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-13-2020, 06:17 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Not necessarily. A totally dead battery can suck so much power from the jump start battery that it can't start the engine. That has fooled more than one person into thinking the battery wasn't the cause of the problem. Me included.
True, I actually had a friends Mustang battery shut the engine off in my '92 because it pulled so much current. But he stated above he had 12.6V.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #7 of 20 Old 05-15-2020, 11:44 AM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHip View Post
Less than 2 year old battery. . . Battery went dead due to sitting. I have a charger, so I trickle charged it for a full day. No sound when I turned the key. Thinking it may need to be "woken up" I went higher amps for 4 hours and then set it back to automatic. Volt meter says over 12.6, and the lights and stereo come on. But zero sound when I turn the key. Any suggestions?
What was the voltage immediately after you tried unsuccessfully to start your jeep? What kind of battery?
Symptoms sound like what some people call a "surface charge."

Remove the battery terminals, Clean the terminals and battery connectors thoroughly with emery cloth, wire brush or battery terminal cleaning tool. Charge again. Allow a fully saturated charge of 14-16 hours.

If you still have problems take your battery to a battery store or quality auto parts store (preferably a battery store so you have better odds of encountering someone who knows what they are doing) and have it load tested. My local Interstate store will do it at no charge but store policy is for them to keep your battery on their charger overnight before testing. Doesn't sound like you are using your jeep every day so that shouldn't be a problem.

Mr. Bills
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon
post #8 of 20 Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Also check the Neg cable at the body/block and the Pos cable at the alt/fusebox/starter
post #9 of 20 Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 AM
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Autozone uses an electronic tester that gives a printout so you can compare the new CCA with the present test result.
Did that recently and had to replace two batteries. My start battery was at 52% and was only 4 years old. I bought a different brand.

pwmac
Durango, CO
06 Rubicon, modified
post #10 of 20 Old 05-17-2020, 03:29 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

12.6V is probably borderline. Next time you buy a new battery- check out how much V it has -- you will find out almost always close to 13 V.- like 12.8 or 9
Put the battery on reg. charge overnight, will probably have in excess of 13. Do the suggestions that the others suggested then try it with the FULLY charged battery. Then you can eliminate the battery

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #11 of 20 Old 05-17-2020, 03:44 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
12.6V is probably borderline
12.6 is exactly what a 12 volt automotive battery produces when fully charged, 2.1 volts per cell. The only time you'll get higher than that is when the engine & alternator is running.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-20-2020, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
MHip
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to play around with it more today.
It's a Costco battery that's less than 2 years old. I'll check the connections. I did try to install new cables recently, until I got to that awful ground on the lower block that I found out was famous for the spinning bolt. Maybe it's loose.
Worst case scenario is if it's the starter, there's an Autozone right across the street, and it looks like it's an easy replacement.
Thanks again for the help.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-20-2020, 02:23 PM
sh00ttok1ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHip View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to play around with it more today.
It's a Costco battery that's less than 2 years old. I'll check the connections. I did try to install new cables recently, until I got to that awful ground on the lower block that I found out was famous for the spinning bolt. Maybe it's loose.
Worst case scenario is if it's the starter, there's an Autozone right across the street, and it looks like it's an easy replacement.
Thanks again for the help.
Interesting that it's a Costco battery. I just replaced mine over the weekend. It was just about 2 years old. It was acting a little different than what you described but I wonder if there is a bad run of them and we both happened to get one.

Costco did replace it at no charge and it's working just fine on the new battery.
BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 07:58 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
As others mentioned above, culprits to consider are the battery, starter, relay, and cables. If everything checks out, consider your ignition actuator pin that can break and prevent the ignition from turning to the start position.

You can check your starter by removing it from the Jeep and applying power from your battery with jumper cables, or you can short the starter, bypassing the solenoid, with a screwdriver while it's still in the Jeep. Just make sure your Jeep is not in gear if you do that, and stay away from moving parts.

There are several helpful videos on YouTube for the ignition actuator pin issue and how to test your starter.

EDIT:
To test your starter relay, you can swap the starter relay with the horn relay under the hood since they use the same part.

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #15 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
MHip
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
As others mentioned above, culprits to consider are the battery, starter, relay, and cables. If everything checks out, consider your ignition actuator pin that can break and prevent the ignition from turning to the start position.

You can check your starter by removing it from the Jeep and applying power from your battery with jumper cables, or you can short the starter, bypassing the solenoid, with a screwdriver while it's still in the Jeep. Just make sure your Jeep is not in gear if you do that, and stay away from moving parts.

There are several helpful videos on YouTube for the ignition actuator pin issue and how to test your starter.

EDIT:
To test your starter relay, you can swap the starter relay with the horn relay under the hood since they use the same part.
So I Hail Mary'd it and decided to replace the starter, since they deliver next day, and it's 14 years old anyways. Install went smooth, although it certainly wasn't a "10 minute pit stop" install like one video suggested. I'm still digging grease out of my eyes. But no go, problem the same.
I did watch that video on swapping out the fuses/relays and checking the actuator pin which will probably be my next move. I've taken the multi function off before, so I feel reasonably ok with going a little deeper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in