Banks Turbo owner check in - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Would you do it again??
YES 5 100.00%
NO 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
DN1911
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Banks Turbo owner check in

I know there is one hell of a long thread on here about the Banks system. But it is getting very long and filled with a lot of random info and questions. I would like to see current Banks turbo owners check in with some basic info if you will. If you can list out the following info with some brief feedback.

**PLEASE NO TECH QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD**

Jeep year
Trans
When you installed the kit
How many miles since install
Intercooled or not
Satisfied with purchase and results / Would you do it again
A general description of issues, problems, fitment, resolutions from Banks, and any other pertinent info that would help a future buyer

Let me know if there is anything else i should add to the list!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-30-2015, 04:00 PM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

2006 Jeep Wrangler X 42RLE Installed Oct. 2015 at 88,000 miles currently about 1000 miles on it with the turbo. Added blow off valve spacer no inter cooler. Added Magnaflow cats at time of install. Problems: rough idle/flashing CEL. New tune from Banks doing better. Dyno results were consistent with what's advertised. Makes interstate driving much nicer. Power is instant. The whole kit is well made. Overall I'm satisfied with the kit and would probably do it again.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-02-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
DN1911
2006 LJ Wrangler 

really, just one reply??

post #4 of 28 Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 PM
2manyrides

05' LJ Purchased kit w/blow-off from banks ($3100). Installed around June-July 14' 83k or so. I have about 3-k miles on it. Installed new catted Y, MC arched overlines (made the hood scoop work with some trimming),and 5pc Gen-right hood louver kit at the same time. I did it all by myself in the driveway in a weekend plus a few nights. I had already installed the banks monster cat-back a few months prior. I also had a stumbble coming to a stoplight every once in a while, or a flashing cel after running it hard, and a periodic p303 code. At the time I was running 33's and 3.73's. changed up to 35's and 4.88's (auto tranny) and I almost never get a cel. With the deeper gear the turbo isnt in boost near as much unless I really get on it. This thing is awesome! I would absolutely do it again. I wheel it pretty hard here in MO. Lot of rocks and wooded trails that seam to grow rocks. On or off road this this thing is the cats-meow. Future plans are to go water-meth after seeing what banks wants for their intercooler. I have seen it during install on another jeep that was done at the shop that works on my truck. The owner had asked me to bring mine in to show the tech what he was in for before they did the install on a customers jeep. When i stoped by again to see how it was going I seen that they had the intercooler also. Other than the molded hoses i think you could build the same thing from FrozenBoost.com for around $500. I'm still leaning towards W/M for simplicity. Super happy with the kit!
post #5 of 28 Old 01-04-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
DN1911
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thank you for the info
post #6 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 10:15 PM
2manyrides

Your welcome. I have read every post in the other thread on the banks turbo, and yes it gets off track alot. I see a few people making a huge deal out of the every once in a while p303 code or the stumble coming to a stop , and acting like the world has ended. In my experience these things where a minor nuisance. It's like putting supper swampers on your jeep , driving it daily on the street, and being mad that you caint here ****. The banks kit is very complete. It's easy to install. With proper gear and tire it will give you all the power you need for street or trail, and the cost is way cheeper then a v8 swap. i havnt seen one single v8 swap done in a weekend by one person in the driveway tuned and all for $3000-$3500 bucks period! I would highly suggest changing the y-pipe and cats at the same time. rock auto was the cheepest place to get one I paid about $320 for the Bosal one. i did have to do some sleaving and welding of pieces of the original y onto the new one because it was one pipe size smaller than the original. The new y O.D. was the size of the old y I.D.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 AM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In my case the misfires were occurring every time I drove my jeep. The new tune from Banks completely resolved the issue. Had I continued to run it like that the primary catalytic converters would be toast after a few thousand miles thus destroying the turbo in the process. I could probably share the new tune on here but should probably get Banks permission first.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Brubber
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Year: 2006
TJ Wrangler
Trans: 6 Speed Manual (NSG370)
When you installed the kit: July 2014 (I installed Banks Torque Tubes at the time also)
How many miles since install: ~10K (kit installed when jeep had ~22K miles, since then drove ~10K miles)
Intercooled or not: no intercooler but I installed Poison Spyder hood louvers around the same time
Satisfied with purchase and results / Would you do it again: absolutely, overall great performance and fit, the hardest part of the install was the damn torque tubes and in retrospect I should have left them off, I don't think they provide much additional performance over the stock exhaust manifold. I have run the jeep through 1.5 central CA summers (110degF+) with no issues, multiple trips to DV, the beach, and the Sierra Nevada’s. Never had an issue with overheating, high temp charge air, misfires, or error codes- jeep runs great. I am running the Banks “stock” tune that came on the programmer but I am considering having a local dyno tuner adjust the tune to better match my tire size/ axle ratio. I was never able to adjust tire size and axle ratio on the Banks provided tuner so my speedo is way off…
A general description of issues, problems, fitment, resolutions from Banks, and any other pertinent info that would help a future buyer. I would avoid “supplementing” the kit with the torque tubes, for the added complexity of removing the exhaust manifold and intake (I did not want to remove my fender at the time) I do not think they are worth it. I would also recommend buying some high-end exhaust wrap and pre-wrapping all the exhaust tubing prior to install, I did this after all the exhaust tubing was installed and it was tough but it did help cut down on my measured under hood heat. You could also get the exhaust piping coated in a high temp ceramic/ enamel and that should help with some of the heat shedding in the engine bay. Something to keep in mind is while you will see increased intake temps you will also higher engine bay temps overall (you have a lot of additional “hot” piping in the engine bay now) so all your rubber/ elastomer components and electrical components (battery in particular) will see higher heat in the engine compartment.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-11-2016, 11:13 AM
dougeast
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep year : 2005 LJ

Trans : 6 speed manual

When you installed the kit : 3/2014 @90k miles, installed by banks

How many miles since install : ~20k miles

Intercooled or not : no

Satisfied with purchase and results / Would you do it again : Absolutely! It's a better jeep in every dimension.

A general description of issues, problems, fitment, resolutions from Banks, and any other pertinent info that would help a future buyer : I've had zero significant issues since install. In fact the only issue I've had was a hose blowing off the inlet manifold. I do now have a whistling inlet manifold at cold idle which I need to track down but I don't think that can be directly attributed to the turbo.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Sicairos49

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
2006 TJ Sport/42RLE Transmission with 40,xxx miles when installed
Kit was installed last month
Just over 100 miles since install
No intercooler
Update* So far I am satisfied with it.
Initial issues with turbo was rough idle/flashing CEL and also the Jeep wouldn't go over 65mph unless going down hill then would hit a max speed of 80mph. After speaking with a tech from Banks it took them a week to send me a custom tune due to an issue on accessing whatever they needed to create the tune. Fixed the rough idle/flashing CEL so far but the Jeep still won't go over 65 (mind you it was going over 70mph+ w/o a hiccup prior to the turbo). It got to the point of stripping it all off when I noted that the spacers Banks provides that go on the bracket for the throttle cables to be raised parallel to the throttle body were installed on top rather than underneath the bracket allowing the cable to only pull 3/4 of the way-whoops.

Other than this turbo no other mods have been done to the engine and cats/exhaust are all stock.
gsindela likes this.

Jeeps, Guns, Beer, Bacon, Family in no order whatsoever

Last edited by Sicairos49; 08-31-2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Fixed the issue that left me unsatisfied with the turbo initially.
post #11 of 28 Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 AM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wonder if it's possible the kit is exposing a weak fuel pump?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 28 Old 08-21-2019, 04:29 AM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicairos49 View Post
2006 TJ Sport/42RLE Transmission with 40,xxx miles when installed

Kit was installed last month

Maybe 100 miles since install

No intercooler

So far not very satisfied with it

Initial issues with turbo was rough idle/flashing CEL and also the Jeep wouldn't go over 65mph unless going down hill then would hit a max speed of 80mph. After speaking with a tech from Banks it took them a week to send me a custom tune due to an issue on accessing whatever they needed to create the tune. Fixed the rough idle/flashing CEL so far but the Jeep still won't go over 65 (mind you it was going over 70mph+ w/o a hiccup prior to the turbo). Other than this turbo no other mods have been done to the engine and cats/ exhaust are all stock.
Are you properly geared for tire size? What RPM are you at @ 65? Are you seeing boost when cruising @ 65?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 28 Old 08-31-2019, 02:36 AM
Sicairos49

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Updated my post and found the issue-embarrassing user install error
TJTurbo likes this.

post #14 of 28 Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

No CELs on here since 2016 ?

2017 JK
2016 MK- Murchison springs, ~1" BL, skinny 30s
2011 KK- H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s
2009 Sorento- H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, 31s
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner- see profile
2006 Trailblazer- EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32s
1998 Durango- SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s
post #15 of 28 Old 01-27-2020, 01:23 PM
Sicairos49

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat View Post
No CELs on here since 2016 ?
In the beginning yes (flashing CEL while driving for a misfire), quick call with Banks and they had to give me a custom tune for my 06’. Since then no CEL for nearly 3,000 miles now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in