Bad vibrations after accidentally allowing transmission to sag without support. HELP! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
MCherkerzian

Bad vibrations after accidentally allowing transmission to sag without support. HELP!

Hey everyone,

I was changing my muffler today, so I dropped my transmission/T-case skid plate and cut out my muffler. Once I did that the tranny and t-case dropped a good 8-10 inches and hung unsupported for about 30 seconds while I ran a floor jack over to it (once I removed the skid plate all of the weight went to the muffler, once I cut that out, everything dropped until the u-joints stopped it. I changed out the muffler and the transmission mount to an OEM rubber one. I put the skid plate back up and aligned everything, put all of the bolts back in tightly and fired the jeep up. I noticed right away that the truck is running rough and shaking a good amount at idle whether or not I am in gear or not (manual transmission), however, once I the vehicle starts moving, no vibrations at all. I got the truck up to 45 and everything sounded and felt fine. I am not sure what is going on or what type of damage I may have done. Yes, it was stupid and I should not have happened, I know I also installed a 2" BB, but that was over a week ago and it has not given me any problems since installing it.

2006 Jeep TJ 4.0 6 speed manual

Thank you to those who help,

Best,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The front motor mounts are what take the strain when the rear of the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly is unsupported. It's possible one of the motor mounts was damaged.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-04-2017, 08:09 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCherkerzian View Post
...I changed out the muffler and the transmission mount to an OEM rubber one...
What was it before? What engine mounts are you running? If the engine and transmission mounts aren't made of the same material, it can cause some extra low-RPM vibes. Also, in my experience, new mounts tend to transmit more vibes when first installed, until they break-in/settle/whatever.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Brent_B
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fan shroud/ blade damage?

project JackWagon
post #5 of 5 Old 08-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Hanzo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Had you disconnected the transmission mount from the skid plate before removing it? Or from the transmission? If not, and if you broke the mount when dropping the skid plate, that might've caused it. Good news is that it's cheap, easy to replace, and the bushings are usually wore out anyway.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Tags
drive , line , mount , transmission , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in