bad throw out bearing ? hard to shift into 1st gear. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
fleacz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

bad throw out bearing ? hard to shift into 1st gear.

so now my jeep is having a hard time shifting into 1st gear, shifting into the other gears aren't as bad but still feels clunky. I've uploaded a video to get someone else's input. when i press on the clutch i can hear a noise go quiet, when i release the clutch the faint grinding noise returns. is this noise related to my shifting problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUuZ...ature=youtu.be

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Montanacharlie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's the same symptom mine had back in January when mine finally quit going into gear. Changed most everything while I was in there. I drove mine till it quit going into gear and I also had to replace the shaft that the throw out bearing slides back and forth on because it must have bound up and broke. So if I were you I would pull the tranny and have a look. Unless you have done it recently I would do a clutch while your at it. There only about $170 bucks.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A bad pilot bearing can sometimes cause that symptom. That bearing is the one seated in the flywheel that the transmission's input shaft rests in. The pilot bearing's job is to isolate the rpms of the flywheel from the transmission so the transmission input shaft isn't spinning fast enough to cause problems shifting into 1st gear. I don't know if the transmission's input shaft doesn't spin at all with a good pilot bearing and the clutch pedal being held to the floor but I'd guess it's pretty close to that.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 AM
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My pilot bearing went away and had same issue. X2 on doing clutch...don't forget to scuff flywheel
post #5 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
fleacz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok so i ended taking the jeep to a mechanic for 2 days and had the clutch replaced. that clutch pedal pushes down so smoothly now. i was driving with it stiff as a wall for so long i just got used to it. the problem is fixed but it still feels a little clunky going into gears. the original owner had a small accident with the car and the engines mounts had some issues. i'm wondering if its an alignment issue which is the root problem to all this other ****.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 04:27 PM
franktoce

I just bought a 2004 TJ with the 2.5 and Im hearibg the same noise when the clutch is out. Guy I bought it from said he just had the clutch and throw out bearing replaced. Is there some sort of adjustment that needs to be made?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're just hearing the normal sound of the transmission's input shaft being spun by the engine. Step down on the clutch pedal and it'll stop because that shaft stops being spun by the engine.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 PM
franktoce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You're just hearing the normal sound of the transmission's input shaft being spun by the engine. Step down on the clutch pedal and it'll stop because that shaft stops being spun by the engine.
Jerry correct when I press the clutch the noise goes away. Dont remember hearing that with any other manual trans Ive had but if normal for Jeeps then Im fine. Just wanted to know. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 11:55 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had an XJ with an AX-15 and I don't remember the noise with it, but my TJ with and NV-3550 does the same as yours, but it shifts fine.

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2016, 12:08 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My previous TJ's AX15 made the same noise too. It scared me too until I learned it was normal.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2016, 08:14 AM
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know your problem has already been fixed but I thought I would add that I had the same exact symptoms on my '98 4 banger recently and in my case just swapping the slave and master clutch cylinders got it running normal again.

I only mention it for others experiencing the same issue. Swapping the clutch cylinders is very easy, relatively cheap, and if your clutch is gone you might as well swap them anyway while your in there so why not start with the cheaper possible solution.

JSt.Marie
'06 Jeep Wrangler, 65th Edition, stock.
'98 Jeep Wrangler, stock.

Tags
difficulty , noise , shifting , throwout bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in