Auto to Manual Transmission Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Jakegrovephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjeep View Post
Not necesarily. Just take a plain automotive relay and wire its coil between ignition switched 12V and a TC control wire from PCM. The PCM will be happily switching the relay thinking it is a TC clutch
Done that many times when swapping an AW4 to TJ with 3speed tranny and keeping the stock PCM.

The wires you use are directly at the PCM

You can take the fused ignition switch 12V from the PCM plug 1 (black) - dark blue wire at cavity (pin) 2
and the TCC signal from the PCM plug 2 (white) - orange/light green wire at cavity (pin) 11
Just wire the coil side of a small automotive relay betwen the two. other contacts of relay remain unused.
After a GOOD isolation and waterproofing you can just zip tie the relay directly to the PCM harness

This!!!

I had been debating this in the back of my mind a while now for my aw4 to ax15 on a Ď00 xj. Hell I was going to keep the solenoids wired up and just make a little alum box to mount them in under the dash.

CEL is a big no go for ca smog

Solid build thread btw. Thanks for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Jakegrovephoto

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

Not to thread jack, but while the subject is up anyone know how the pcm functions with e-vin and mileage on an obdII as listed?

Could pull a proper pcm for my swap but afraid at smog time the Evin will be pulled up. Looks like tech authority and a pcm pass-thru setup could reflash the vin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 02:13 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce06Unltd View Post
...my '06 Unlimited (NOT Rubicon) NSG370 just blew the reverse gear. Not sure what happened, but it makes a grinding sound going forward and won't go in reverse at all.
Most likely the reverse shift fork has been bent or broken, a common issue with the NSG370 if a person accidentally tries to shift into reverse while the vehicle is moving forward. Where reverse is located in the shift pattern near sixth gear makes this easy to do.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #19 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Bruce06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Most likely the reverse shift fork has been bent or broken, a common issue with the NSG370 if a person accidentally tries to shift into reverse while the vehicle is moving forward. Where reverse is located in the shift pattern near sixth gear makes this easy to do.
I know how easy that is to do when shifting from 4th to 6th which is usually at high speeds, to make it worse. This blew right after a start from a dead stop (oops, is did squeal the rear tires on dry pavement, but it was an uphill start at an intersection) and went through 2nd 3rd and 4th when it started to grind at about 30 mph. I was only a mile from home so I drove on with occasional noise, but realized I had no reverse when I went to back onto the driveway at home. I don't know if it would be cheaper fix the reverse gear when I am paying my shop $106 per hour labor. It has 160K miles on it, so I figured I would swap out the whole tranny and clutch while I am at it. I shuddered at the price of a new NGS370 and thought the AX15 would be cheaper, but with that adapter cost and labor, it works out about even.

Has anyone had a NGS370 rebuilt? I wonder what that would cost...and might as well replace the clutch too...might as well.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Bruce06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone had a NGS370 rebuilt? I wonder what that would cost? Yikes and might as well replace the clutch too...might as well.

Last edited by Bruce06Unltd; 04-06-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: duplicate post
post #21 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
TheFreedombird
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I know how easy that is to do when shifting from 4th to 6th which is usually at high speeds, to make it worse. This blew right after a start from a dead stop (oops, is did squeal the rear tires on dry pavement, but it was an uphill start at an intersection) and went through 2nd 3rd and 4th when it started to grind at about 30 mph. I was only a mile from home so I drove on with occasional noise, but realized I had no reverse when I went to back onto the driveway at home. I don't know if it would be cheaper fix the reverse gear when I am paying my shop $106 per hour labor. It has 160K miles on it, so I figured I would swap out the whole tranny and clutch while I am at it. I shuddered at the price of a new NGS370 and thought the AX15 would be cheaper, but with that adapter cost and labor, it works out about even.

Has anyone had a NGS370 rebuilt? I wonder what that would cost? Yikes and might as well replace the clutch too...might as well.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]
As far as swapping the transmission goes I don't know a whole lot about it. The ax15 that came from the 92 dakota blew up some bearing and I am moving at the end of the month so I ordered a remanned NV3550 and tossed that in there. Granted I didn't have to change anything up. Just needed a new shifter. With that I went with B&M Sports Short Throw. Does the NGS370 have a different style bell housing?

A smart man learns from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from others mistakes
post #22 of 23 Old 04-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Bruce06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think I need the adapter with the AX15 to set up the CPS right. This thread is about swapping and auto for manual tranny. Sorry if I got it off course, but I can't find anything about swapping the NGS370 to an AX15 in an '06. The bell housings are obviously different, it seems.
post #23 of 23 Old 04-07-2019, 08:17 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The swap is possible and easy relatively. Just not as cheap as it could be. You need the conversion bellhousing from Advance Adapters that has the CPS hole over on the right side. It will swap onto the NV3550 or AX-15 that you acquire. After that, there is no wiring, PCM swap, or anything else electrical that needs messed with. AA gives you a new throw-out bearing, clutch fork ball stud in the kit and a list of which parts to mix and match to get the clutch disc, pressure plate and pilot bearing all working. It is a very basic swap and no harder than doing a clutch job.
Quote:
I think I need the adapter with the AX15 to set up the CPS right. This thread is about swapping and auto for manual tranny. Sorry if I got it off course, but I can't find anything about swapping the NGS370 to an AX15 in an '06. The bell housings are obviously different, it seems.

As stated previous, it is not an adapter, it is a conversion bellhousing. You remove the bellhousing from the AX-15 and replace it with the one from AA.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...o-40l-engines/
Bdajeep likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

Tags
auto , manual , swap , tj , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in