Auto LJ Angry Sparrows? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Auto LJ Angry Sparrows?

My 05 LJ with automatic transmission (42RLE / NV231) started squeaking recently when I am driving. The squeaking is proportional to my speed and seems to be coming from somewhere underneath the drivers seat.

Walking beside the Jeep while someone else was driving it, it sounded like it was coming from farther back than the transmission, so the transfer case rear area.

I sprayed some WD40 on the first U joint just after the transmission but nothing changed.

Wondering if anyone can offer any advice, or if this is a common issue. I've read a lot about the Angry Sparrows on manual transmission Jeeps, where it's a throw out bearing that goes. But since mine is automatic, I don't believe I have such a bearing so what else could it be?

Also people always suggest removing the front drive-shaft, but if I'm in 2WD this shouldn't be spinning in the first place so I don't think that diagnostic method will help.

I noticed that it's barely audible, but exists, when I'm in reverse. After about 25kph it goes away because everything is spinning so fast (too high pitched to hear?)

Here is a short video demonstrating the sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have any side to side play in your driveshaft u-joints? I had a similar noise recently and it got to the point where it felt like it was in 4wd while turning slow. Axle u-joints were bad and binding up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm willing to get my hands dirty and check... But, um, is it as simple as pushing and pulling on my drive shaft to see if it wobbles? Anywhere specific I should push/pull on? How much, if any, wobble is acceptable?

I only learned the difference between U joints and CV joints today after researching all morning.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 10:21 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara View Post
I'm willing to get my hands dirty and check... But, um, is it as simple as pushing and pulling on my drive shaft to see if it wobbles? Anywhere specific I should push/pull on? How much, if any, wobble is acceptable?

I only learned the difference between U joints and CV joints today after researching all morning.
Yes. Grab the driveshaft near the u-joint. It will rotate some, but shouldn't move side to side at all. Check the axle u-joints by jacking it up and spinning a tire while turning the steering wheel. My tire would only move 6" like someone was applying the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The CV joint on the front driveshaft is notorious for causing an angry sparrows sound. If that's the issue, don't wait too long to fix it. A seized CV joint on the front driveshaft can take out the transfer case.
stevie50 likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The CV joint on the front driveshaft is notorious for causing an angry sparrows sound. If that's the issue, don't wait too long to fix it. A seized CV joint on the front driveshaft can take out the transfer case.
And by “take out” the transfer case it usually results in a catastrophic failure that basically rips the transfer case in half and the half thats still attached to the seized double cardon joint in the front shaft swings around violently doing all kinds of collateral damage.

At the very minimum remove the front driveshaft if you must continue driving it.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also people always suggest removing the front drive-shaft, but if I'm in 2WD this shouldn't be spinning in the first place so I don't think that diagnostic method will help.
the front drive shaft is linked with the front axle and rotates whenever the front axle does whether its in 2wd or 4x4. it disconnects in the transfer case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can anyone direct me to some good instructions on how to disconnect the front driveshaft? Can I do this if I'm just crawling under the jeep? (I don't have a hoist, but it's raised 4" so I can slide under on a mechanics roller bed). Will this require me to drain/refill anything with fluid? (Tranny, TC)

I called several local transmission places, most of the dealers and all the Jeep shops and everyone's booked for the next week / 2 months (Only 2 non-dealer Jeep shops I know of in Toronto). I don't want anything blowing up, but I sort of need to keep using my DD.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just crawl under your rig and remove the four bolts on each end of the driveshaft that connect to the pinion yoke and tcase yoke. Easy job.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds easy enough. Do i need to cover / seal anything afterwards? Will dirt get into any sensitive areas if I drive another 100km without covering the connection points? Recommended methods to cover?
post #11 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 01:41 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds easy enough. Do i need to cover / seal anything afterwards? Will dirt get into any sensitive areas if I drive another 100km without covering the connection points? Recommended methods to cover?
Everything you are disconnecting is external. Nothing to do to the jeep. Just don't lose any ujoint caps from the driveshaft.

Accessing the TC front input may be a little tough. At a minimum you may have to take of the transmission skid. Hopefully can do it without dropping TC skid.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update: I found a shop that hoisted the Jeep up so I could listen to what's squeaking while they spun the wheels. It's coming from my rear drive shaft, inside of the cylinder, about 40% of the way towards the back.

Are there bearings inside or something? Is this repairable, or do I need to buy a new shaft? Any idea if I can keep driving on this a bit longer, or if I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb?

I have to research what is inside of a driveshaft. Since the whole cylinder spins when in motion, I don't know what the purpose of internal components would be.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is nothing inside the driveshaft, just a hollow tube. The noise you are hearing is likely a bad u-joint that is resonating the noise through the shaft. Pull the shaft and check the joints, youíll likely fond at least one that is dry of grease.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update: I took the Jeep to a shop today to get the u-joints greased. Turns out I have the original stock u-joints with no grease nipple. After talking with a dealership service advisor, I was told that these are non serviceable u-joints and when they start to go they need to be replaced. On the plus side, while digging around under the Jeep I noticed the rear seal on my transfer case going into the driveshaft was leaking ATF. Looks like at 1 spot the gasket was sticking out 30%, and has started to leak.

Will get that addressed as I replace the two pairs of u-joints on the rear drive shaft, hopefully this week.

That should solve my squeaking noise, will provide another update to confirm.

By the way, I do not have double cardigan joints on my driveshaft. The mechanic at the Jeep shop was asking what kind of a driveshaft I had, and this was one of his questions. Is this something I should consider getting and why?
post #15 of 16 Old 04-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Update: I took the Jeep to a shop today to get the u-joints greased. Turns out I have the original stock u-joints with no grease nipple. After talking with a dealership service advisor, I was told that these are non serviceable u-joints and when they start to go they need to be replaced. On the plus side, while digging around under the Jeep I noticed the rear seal on my transfer case going into the driveshaft was leaking ATF. Looks like at 1 spot the gasket was sticking out 30%, and has started to leak.

Will get that addressed as I replace the two pairs of u-joints on the rear drive shaft, hopefully this week.

That should solve my squeaking noise, will provide another update to confirm.

By the way, I do not have double cardigan joints on my driveshaft. The mechanic at the Jeep shop was asking what kind of a driveshaft I had, and this was one of his questions. Is this something I should consider getting and why?
Stock Jeeps have a double-cardan (CV) joint on the front driveshaft but not on the rear driveshaft which is a single-cardan design.

A nice upgrade in the driveshaft u-joint would be to Spicer's triple-sealed 5-1310x. They're still sealed so you don't have to keep greasing them but they're far stronger and more durable than what the factory installed. Yes they're a direct fit upgrade. I DEFINITELY would not run a store brand u-joint or Spicer's greasable 5-153x which is greasable but not as strong or as durable as the 5-1310x is.
Ironhead and Pentara like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Tags
lj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in