ARB Single vs Twin Compressor - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
BogDeep

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Personally I'd never use the same compressor for tire and locker duty.
Is this just because in case of failure or over working the unit, you wouldn't lose lockers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 12:00 PM
jgarden

Quote:
Personally I'd never use the same compressor for tire and locker duty. It failure, rare as it might be, would cause big problems on a wheeling trip.
My 2 cents. I feel this is ridiculously over cautious. I surmise well over 95% of ppl running air lockers use a single compressor for airing up as well as locker duty. Redundancy is nice, but to a point.

If your compressor breaks, the worst that happens to you is you are now running on open diffs - though this can be troublesome on the toughest of trails, your rig will still function and still get through a good portion of most trails.

If you are on the tough trails you likely (or at least should) have a second vehicle with you, that can hopefully assist you through the rough sections.

The other problem if your only compressor breaks is you can't air back up. Again, hardly the end of the world. You can still drive on aired down tires. And if you are with a second vehicle you can use their compressor to air up.

Also if you have 2 compressors, one for airing up and one for air lockers, and your locker compressor breaks, you would need to be prepared to plumb the air lockers into the air up compressor.... Depending on the location of each compressor, this could be a simple or difficult task and may require a good amount of hose.

Or run an OX locker actuated by air. If your air compressor breaks, you can use a special bolt to lock the locker.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

98 Wrangler
NRA Life Member
post #18 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
My 2 cents. I feel this is ridiculously over cautious. I surmise well over 95% of ppl running air lockers use a single compressor for airing up as well as locker duty. Redundancy is nice, but to a point.
Not in my group of wheelers that commonly does the toughest trails in SoCal including those in Johnson Valley. Lose your lockers in the more difficult canyons in JV, Devil's Canyon, or the Rocktoberfest trails in Arizona and you're more likely to break an axle shaft with inoperative lockers or not get out without a lot of winching. Being cautious just enough to insure you're not going to have serious problems on extra-tough trails is why I and the couple groups I wheel with have few problems. Compressors aren't expensive and only having one to operate both your lockers and airing back up afterward gives no margin. Start doing the toughest trails and you may start to understand my point. Not to mention in my 30+ years of wheeling SoCal I've seen too many failures caused by being underprepared on the trails that caused a lot of problems for everyone. So come on, a second compressor is not going to break you.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #19 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 01:42 PM
jgarden

Quote:
Not in my group of wheelers that commonly does the toughest trails in SoCal including those in Johnson Valley. Lose your lockers in the more difficult canyons in JV, Devil's Canyon, or the Rocktoberfest trails in Arizona and you're more likely to break an axle shaft with inoperative lockers or not get out without a lot of winching. Being cautious just enough to insure you're not going to have serious problems on extra-tough trails is why I and the couple groups I wheel with have few problems. Compressors aren't expensive and only having one to operate both your lockers and airing back up afterward gives no margin. Start doing the toughest trails and you may start to understand my point. Not to mention in my 30+ years of wheeling SoCal I've seen too many failures caused by being underprepared on the trails that caused a lot of problems for everyone. So come on, a second compressor is not going to break you.

I've done the JV trails..... And i guess that's why I run Detroit Lockers front and rear.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but does it really happen often that a compressor fails that's controlling an air locker? I would guess the problems are usually a failure of the electrical system or the air lines. I would also guess there are many other problems that occur more often than failed air compressors.

There is no way to prepare for every possible failure, or carry every spare part, you just have to be as best prepared as possible.

98 Wrangler
NRA Life Member
post #20 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To each his own. If you're convinced you'll never experience a locker compressor failure on the trail like I have, by all means place all your eggs into one basket.

post #21 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 05:34 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Az has some great trails Roctober fest only touches a few really. Some they dont run in that jamboree, too much damage. To hard to spot people in places like that. Best in say 5 jeeps at the most. You run 20 through those and i bet 4 break and near all will trade paint. They are short trails though.

Jerry you should see Parkers trails. That whole strip down there up through Havasu and through Kingman is all trails. Parker is well known for its 4-5 trails. Few people run 5s i dont. My junk sees mostly 4.0-4.5 few 3+ trails if they are quality. Rest is just endless desert dirt roads of endless dust..
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 06:00 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Az has some great trails Roctober fest only touches a few really. Some they dont run in that jamboree, too much damage. To hard to spot people in places like that. Best in say 5 jeeps at the most. You run 20 through those and i bet 4 break and near all will trade paint. They are short trails though.

Jerry you should see Parkers trails. That whole strip down there up through Havasu and through Kingman is all trails. Parker is well known for its 4-5 trails. Few people run 5s i dont. My junk sees mostly 4.0-4.5 few 3+ trails if they are quality. Rest is just endless desert dirt roads of endless dust..
I did the previous Rocktoberfest, it kicked my ass lol. I was good only until the outer sidewall of my left-rear GY kevlar MT/R slid down over a sharp pointed piece of granite on the trail called Hard *** (love their trail names lol). It opened up a 5" slice in the tire. That's when I found very old spare MT/R tire was no longer holding a bead on its wheel, I barely got back. Fun 4 days in Arizona for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Slashed.jpg  

post #23 of 31 Old 10-26-2021, 02:36 PM
rjgogo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

York. A small tank will fit in the belly. My York has been running problem free for almost two decades.
post #24 of 31 Old 10-26-2021, 03:37 PM
jgarden

Quote:
To each his own. If you're convinced you'll never experience a locker compressor failure on the trail like I have, by all means place all your eggs into one basket.

There are many areas (probably 100s) on a trail rig where we place all of our eggs in one basket. You build as good a vehicle as you can afford, maintain it well, drive it as best you can, and then you hope for the best. Hardcore trails or even long dirt roads take their toll on a vehicle and push them to their limits.

Some people carry spare driveshafts, some carry spare axle shafts, some run two compressors.

98 Wrangler
NRA Life Member
post #25 of 31 Old 10-26-2021, 03:37 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgogo View Post
York. A small tank will fit in the belly. My York has been running problem free for almost two decades.
It does work great, I loved mine I installed into my previous '97 TJ.

That said, mounting brackets are now extremely expensive and sometimes hard to find. I was shocked to learn 10 years ago after my '97 was stolen that they were close to $200 just for to mount the York onto my replacement '04 TJ. I ended up going for a home-assembled 10lb. CO2 tank that cost less than $200 for everything I needed.

post #26 of 31 Old 10-27-2021, 01:37 PM
rjgogo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It does work great, I loved mine I installed into my previous '97 TJ.

That said, mounting brackets are now extremely expensive and sometimes hard to find. I was shocked to learn 10 years ago after my '97 was stolen that they were close to $200 just for to mount the York onto my replacement '04 TJ. I ended up going for a home-assembled 10lb. CO2 tank that cost less than $200 for everything I needed.
Just learned how to TIG so I could make a pretty one for not too much. Got to be drawings somewhere.

I think I paid $25 for the York, I pulled off an old Mercedes at the junk yard.
post #27 of 31 Old 10-27-2021, 03:39 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
There are many areas (probably 100s) on a trail rig where we place all of our eggs in one basket. You build as good a vehicle as you can afford, maintain it well, drive it as best you can, and then you hope for the best. Hardcore trails or even long dirt roads take their toll on a vehicle and push them to their limits.

Some people carry spare driveshafts, some carry spare axle shafts, some run two compressors.
Nevertheless it's stupid-easy to not have to rely on just one compressor for both airing up the tires and running the locker compressors. Going on tough trails with just one compressor doing double-duty for two critical jobs is just plain stupid. Yes, stupid.

The below is from a very well known Jeep builder and designer of parts for Jeeps in response to this same thread posted elsewhere as well. He is a former extremely well-respected member here who gave up on the bull****.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  

post #28 of 31 Old 10-27-2021, 06:24 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogDeep View Post
Quote:
Personally I'd never use the same compressor for tire and locker duty.
Is this just because in case of failure or over working the unit, you wouldn't lose lockers?
No it's called being redundant, your locker air and tires need separate sources

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #29 of 31 Old 10-28-2021, 07:40 AM
jgarden

Quote:
Nevertheless it's stupid-easy to not have to rely on just one compressor for both airing up the tires and running the locker compressors. Going on tough trails with just one compressor doing double-duty for two critical jobs is just plain stupid. Yes, stupid.

The below is from a very well known Jeep builder and designer of parts for Jeeps in response to this same thread posted elsewhere as well. He is a former extremely well-respected member here who gave up on the bull****.
I respect both yours and Blaine's opinions on Jeep stuff. Having been doing this stuff for 35 years, sometimes I disagree. With certain things there are multiple correct ways of accomplishing a task.

98 Wrangler
NRA Life Member
post #30 of 31 Old 10-28-2021, 10:06 AM
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Quote:

All this talk of redundancy-this and failure-proof that, from someone who stated (in this thread) that his spare tire wouldn’t hold a bead when it was needed.

Couldn’t help but chuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerry Bransford and jgarden like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in