ARB Single vs Twin Compressor - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 10-19-2021, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
BogDeep

2002 TJ Wrangler 

ARB Single vs Twin Compressor

Hey everyone, I am getting my ring and pinion replaced due to a gear shop incorrectly installing a gear set in my rear axle. I am also having my Detroit locker replaced with an ARB because I drive in snow occasionally and it is my daily driver and would prefer selectable. I need a compressor to run the rear locker as well as air up my 35x12.50 15s and also be capable of running a front locker eventually. Would you guys recommend spending the extra change for the twin or is the single sufficient? I also would be mounting it under the hood and run highlines with a windstar intake, so the passenger side of the engine bay has lots of room. Just looking to get feedback. Seems like everyone with big tires runs the twin and the stockish Jeeps run the single but my 35s put me right in the middle. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-19-2021, 06:40 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

1936 CJ2A 

I love my dual compressor. It has a 100% duty cycle so it fills up tires fast.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-19-2021, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
BogDeep

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear. Where did you mount it? I saw that MORE makes a bracket but its pricey and I'm not sure about the location.

post #4 of 31 Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

1936 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogDeep View Post
Good to hear. Where did you mount it? I saw that MORE makes a bracket but its pricey and I'm not sure about the location.
I mounted on the inner fender of my aftermarket fenders.

When I was looking at mounting mine a few years ago, I remember reading that some people had mounted it to the empty battery tray on the driver's side.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-19-2021, 07:32 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is no mention of it, but it should be explored. . .

I assume from your post you want to go tankless... is that for certain?

I will also join in on go the twin route. More is always better than less in the jeep world when it comes to functional mods.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-19-2021, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
BogDeep

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input everyone. I was leaning the twin route to begin with and will probably go that way. As far as a tank, with how fast it runs and my limited space I feel no need. I most likely won't be running air tools any time soon, and the speed has got to be a helluva lot better than my little Tsunami compressor that I've been dragging around for years. As far as mounting I'll probably also just bolt to my aftermarket inner fenders as well.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 07:51 AM
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

I went with the single compressor because of price, and the fact that I am only running 32ís.
It mounted easily to the driverís inner fender, but with your high lines, I doubt yours will fit there. I could have also mounted it to the empty ABS tray below the brake booster (it fits nicely there), but it seemed like it would be difficult to access there.

Mine will fill a 32Ē from 10psi to 25psi in about a minute and 15 seconds. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 01:30 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Consider a 10 lb. aluminum CO2 tank too, I put mine together for under $200. It's faster than even most big compressors. Mine refills all four of my 35x12.50 tires from 7-8 psi to 25 for 4=5 offroad trips.
Attached Images

bruinjeeper and BogDeep like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 01:48 PM
jgarden

I used an aluminum CO2 tank for a number of years - didn't care for it. It doesn't work well if you do multi day trips where you air up for pavement and air down for dirt multiple times. I'm also not a fan of the space it occupies and find them ugly.

I went back to a compressor and am happy.

ARB. Single vs Dual?

I would say Dual every time assuming you can afford it and have the space. That said, i have a single in my F350 (due to space - i wanted it under the hood) and have been pleased with it's ability to air up the tires. Not as fast as the York in my Jeep, but it still works fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
BogDeep likes this.

98 Wrangler
NRA Life Member
post #10 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
BogDeep

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Consider a 10 lb. aluminum CO2 tank too, I put mine together for under $200. It's faster than even most big compressors. Mine refills all four of my 35x12.50 tires from 7-8 psi to 25 for 4=5 offroad trips.
I thought about a tank, but since I need a compressor to run the lockers I figured I may as well kill two birds with one stone.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 06:15 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought about a tank, but since I need a compressor to run the lockers I figured I may as well kill two birds with one stone.
do you have factory A/C?

post #12 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
BogDeep

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I do.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 10:11 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

well... i guess you got it figured out then.

Twin for the win.
BogDeep likes this.

post #14 of 31 Old 10-20-2021, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
BogDeep

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
well... i guess you got it figured out then.

Twin for the win.
Didn't meant to come across like a dick with my last comment, I suck at doing the forum on my phone and made the response quickly haha. Were you going to bring up a belt driven york style option? I've considered that but the plug and play simplicity of the arb and not having to run extra pulleys making things more complicated steered me away. Plus I found a good deal through some buddies with the twin compressor. Thanks for the feedback
post #15 of 31 Old 10-21-2021, 11:09 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Personally I'd never use the same compressor for tire and locker duty. It failure, rare as it might be, would cause big problems on a wheeling trip.
BogDeep likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in