ARB Safari Snorkel Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-14-2020, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
CoachDad

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
ARB Safari Snorkel Question

I tried emailing sales at arbusa, but it's just shy of two weeks and no response from them yet.

Quadratec says on their product page that the ARB snorkel will only fit a 4.0 TJ without air conditioning. A customer asked about it, and they doubled down on their response.

I went to the ARB website, and it makes no mention of this incompatibility. I even downloaded the pdf instructions for the snorkel, and there is no mention there, either.

So I emailed ARB sales, but have received no response.

Does anyone have definitive personal knowledge of this? And has anyone else had similarly poor service from ARB? I had been considering purchasing a few of their higher dollar items, but am now wondering what kind of operation they are running.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I’ve had an ARB snorkel on my 03 Rubicon, 05 Rubicon Unlimited and now my 06 Rubicon Unlimited. All with A/C.
The only difference in snorkels I have seen were related to the early vs later TJ and it had to do with the way the flex hose connects to the factory air box. On the earlier TJ‘s the airbox connection is made towards the front of the box whereas on the later models the connection is made towards the rear end of the box. The change is due to the change in alternator location.
FWIW, the snorkel kits designed for the later models should fit all years but the kits for earlier TJ’s will have to be modified to connect towards the rear of the airbox.
I’m referring to the 4.0 TJ’s and have no experience with the 4 cyl models.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
CoachDad

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
That's a great explanation, and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

post #4 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
CoachDad

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
Ive had an ARB snorkel on my 03 Rubicon, 05 Rubicon Unlimited and now my 06 Rubicon Unlimited. All with A/C.
The only difference in snorkels I have seen were related to the early vs later TJ and it had to do with the way the flex hose connects to the factory air box. On the earlier TJs the airbox connection is made towards the front of the box whereas on the later models the connection is made towards the rear end of the box. The change is due to the change in alternator location.
FWIW, the snorkel kits designed for the later models should fit all years but the kits for earlier TJs will have to be modified to connect towards the rear of the airbox.
Im referring to the 4.0 TJs and have no experience with the 4 cyl models.
Did you find it difficult (or maybe not possible) to remove the passenger door with the snorkel installed?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 07:50 AM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDad View Post
Did you find it difficult (or maybe not possible) to remove the passenger door with the snorkel installed?
I trimmed the threaded portion of the top hinge pin off and that allows to easily remove the door with the snorkel in place.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-16-2020, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
CoachDad

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I ended up getting an email response and apology from ARB. They confirmed that the later model TJs with the 4.0 have no fitment issues. They also confirmed what I had heard, that the snorkel interferes with the removal of the passenger door. They said that disconnecting the top mounting bracket (on the windshield frame) will allow the door to be removed.

Considering this, I went with https://www.extremeterrain.com/redro...6-j102772.html , an extremely similar offering from the Extreme Terrain house brand. It appears to be nearly identical, and for $99 compared to $400 plus for the ARB. Plus, the Red Rock version doesn't have the prominent safari logo on its lower base.

Thanks again for the great information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in