ARB Bull Bar - Best Price? Alternatives? - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
bobhaverford
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 149
ARB Bull Bar - Best Price? Alternatives?

I'm interested in purchasing the ARB Bull Bar for my Wrangler TJ. I love it's aggressive clean look. Where is the cheapest place to purchase this product with shipping?

Also, I'd like any suggestions for alternatives to this bumper in the same price range or cheaper. Pictures and/or web sites would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob


bobhaverford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 10:39 AM
cincytj
Registered User
 
cincytj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lutz, FL (north Tampa)
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhaverford
I'm interested in purchasing the ARB Bull Bar for my Wrangler TJ. I love it's aggressive clean look. Where is the cheapest place to purchase this product with shipping?

Also, I'd like any suggestions for alternatives to this bumper in the same price range or cheaper. Pictures and/or web sites would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

got mine off of ebay 675 shipped just for reference. I think they might be cheaper now. This is the winch style.

03 Patriot Blue Sport
Rubi d44 both ends, Crane Diff Covers, Rock trac t-case
Tom Woods CV DS, Alloy USA rear axles (waiting for install) ARB front bumper, Rock-it-Man Rockers
knoblock rear bumper, OBA in process,
bestop tire carrier, 35-12.5-16 trXus MT's on MOABs with 1.25 spidertrax
Currie HD steering
Nth Degree 6" LA kit. Garvin Wilderness Rack w/hi-lift mnt
HEMI & 5spd Auto

Last edited by cincytj; 07-21-2005 at 03:56 PM.
cincytj is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 11:26 AM
RubiconSS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,110
Ordered mine from Quadratec on Friday, was on the Jeep Tuesday

They beat the lowest price and shipping. Arrived in a box the size of a FatMans Coffin (perfect condition)

You asked for alternatives. There are bumper alternatives but not in the specific arena of a Bullbar. Obviously Oman's but expect to pay 2x the price AND wait 4-6 weeks. I personally still liked the ARB better. It is hefty but not as massive. It looks better than I thought it would. Even the wife came out into the garage and said Wow!
RubiconSS is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
bobhaverford
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS
Ordered mine from Quadratec on Friday, was on the Jeep Tuesday

They beat the lowest price and shipping. Arrived in a box the size of a FatMans Coffin (perfect condition)
Thanks! What did you pay and who did they price match? Thanks.
bobhaverford is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 12:05 PM
RubiconSS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,110
Looking back through my notes it was one of the following OK4wd.com, 4x4 rockshop.com
$569 w/o winch, $675 w/w and $75.00 s/h
I'll scan the sites also.

I love the bumper. Went on like it was custom made and fit. Hole allignment, everything perfect.
What sold me on the choice was the heritage of the design, Photos on the AEV Hemi site, the company really seems to be on top of the design and engineering of the product. It's not just a front end ornament.

PM me if you want You can call Quadratec and have them access my order (from Friday) for price match.
RubiconSS is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Slimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 203
There's a lot of alternatives that are just as good if not better than the ARB
The ARB is way too heavy and I read that if you hit it in the right spot, not too strong.

There are a lot of alternatives though that you can save some cash AND get a more functional bumper (light tabs, D-Rings, Winch mount, steering case cover, etc...)

Here's some of the ones that I would suggest that you look into but this is just my honest opinion:

Jeeperman: http://www.raingler.com/shop/categories.asp?catID=66

Olympic AT Slider: http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetai...ductsku=172121

Toys by Troy: http://www.toysbytroy.com/Product_Fi...per%20001A.jpg

Smittybilt SRC: sticks out a little too much for my tastes now

M.O.R.E. High Clearance Bumper:

I hope this helped your thoughs somewhat...All of these are considerably cheaper than the ARB

04 X - 5sp - 2" Skyjacker w/ hydros - Homemade Discos - Jeeperman Rear bumper w/Viking Shackles - KC Slim Fogs - KC Slim Long Range with windshield mounts - OEM tow hooks - Navman GPS - Mini phantom LED blue light - Cobra CB - ArizonaRockyRoad CB Mount - 4' Firestik 2 - 8 ball shifter - Husky floor liners - Neoprene seat covers - Pioneer DEH-7700MP Deck - Infiniti Kappa 5.25" - Infiniti Refrence 4x6" plates - Bestop Bikini/Windjammer/Deck Cover
Slimer is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 02:53 PM
RubiconSS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,110
All nice bumpers. I'm not going to turn into the "Oman of the ARB". The ARB is a very nice bumper, it isn't inexpensive and that is representative of the material, engineering, finish, etc.
If I had a MOSTLY off-road SLAMMIN' ride, I would not even consider an ARB. I'd probably get a Bullet Proof Bumper (or one of the above referanced).
If it is a nice jeep that is going to see double duty (depending on the short list of what YOU need YOUR bumper to do), I highly recommend the ARB Product.

As far as weight goes, the Bullbar weighs approx. 85 lbs. I doubt that there are many Extreme-Duty Bumpers that are going to come in much below the 70lb. mark.
I hope are suspensions aren't that sensitive that a swing of 15 or so lbs. would much matter.
The big diff would obviously be a bumper + winch BUT, if it's on a heavy duty bumper the relativity is about the same.
RubiconSS is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
bobhaverford
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 149
M.O.R.E. High Clearance Bumper:

I hope this helped your thoughs somewhat...All of these are considerably cheaper than the ARB[/QUOTE]

How much is the M.O.R.E. High Clearance Bumper? Where can I find it? Thanks! It looks great.

Bob
bobhaverford is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 04:50 PM
RubiconSS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,110
I researched the M.O.R.E. bumper. Wasn't an inexpensive bumper by any stretch.
I may be confusing it with another (I looked at a lot of bumpers) I thought it was in the $560 range (unfinished) + S&H.
RubiconSS is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 PM
55willystruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Wenatchee WA
Posts: 2,306
While the bullbar from ARB is not the most inexpensive front bumper out there, there is definitely a few very good reasons for that, as someone else mentioned above. ARB takes the safety of you and your vehicle very seriously. Those that spout off that there are better bumpers made for cheaper is a pretty tough statement to make-I question how they are any better. Yes, you will definitely find cheaper, but could somebody please define "better" for me when it comes to a bumper?

My guess is that weight is going to be one of the first thoughts to someone that considers anything else "better". ARB is heavy-and I believe the 85 lbs. comment above is a little on the conservative side-mine weighs in at almost 100 lbs. exactly. So, yes, you will definitely find lighter as well. Does that make it any better? I don't know-does it? For those looking at the ARB bullbars and considering any of the alternatives, please take the time to look further into the research and development that goes into an ARB bullbar. If you can find it, look at the extreme testing that is done-stress, fracture and crumple as well as crash testing.

Also, the bullbars are designed for impact with kangaroos-which consequently weigh in about the same as a deer here. The bullbar is designed to take the impact and transfer the energy through the chassis, again, so your air bags don't blow. Will a regular piece of channel, or square tube do that? Who knows. My rig is a daily driver that also sees heavy off-road use. I like the idea that the bumper will take the impact of a deer that are all over around here, and should I hit one-will not blow my airbag and have insurance deem my Jeep "totalled" because of it. For me, the research, development and testing is definitely worth the cost. Plus, I also think it looks great on the front, holds my XD9000i just perfect and also fits my IPF 900XS lights for nightime highway driving across the mountain passes. For me, the bullbar works great and is what I would consider the "best" for my needs. For a rockcrawler though, it would definitely NOT be the best for his/her needs. Something smaller, lighter, more compact would be more beneficial there, and probably be "best" for that situation. I'd recommend thinking about what exactly you want out of the bumper, what you will do with it, and go from there.

Off my soap box now, Best of Luck with whatever you decide!!!

Mike
55willystruck is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 10:07 PM
runmanpkll
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 606
a couple months ago i sold my ARB bullbar (TJ/winch style) and was curious how much it weighed. i never weighed it before i put it on so this was the chance to actually put it on a scale. mine weighed 77 lbs.

its a great bumper and i beat and ground on it on the rocks pretty hard. i replaced it with a currie shorty for more approach angle & less weight (currie weighed in at 43 lbs) but sometimes i miss my ARB. around here the trail access roads are very tight (trees/saplings) and at times you need to move off the access road to let other groups go by. with the bullbar i didnt have to worry about fender damage from saplings but with the currie i do.
runmanpkll is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 07-22-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
bobhaverford
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 149
Looks like Quadratec is the cheapest

Currently the non-winch version is listed at $579. That's about $50 cheaper than I've been able to find it anywhere else. I've gone ahead and ordered it because I've actually seen this bumper and it is pretty much exactlly what I am looking for. The other options are also very nice but for my need now I'll go with the ARB. Thanks again for all the input.

If anyone finds it cheaper please post here as this would be a good thread to trach the lowest price.

Thanks again.
bobhaverford is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 07-22-2005, 10:25 AM
RubiconSS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,110
Congrats! Wait til' it arrives and you get the whole show. Box the size of a coffin, the finish quality and the "behind the bumper" structure.
Take your time. Think what you want to do. I taped mine off and used a good quality undercoat (that dries hard) not required because the same high quality multi-step powdercoat finish is on the back as well as the front.
Lines right up to factory holes, I used some lok-tite (medium).
If you are mounting your OEM fogs you will need to extend the pig tails. Use a Dremmel tool to remove the little "nub" on the bottom of the lite.
I tied my bumper lites into the side markers, don't worry - when you get all hooked up there will be no dimming.
RubiconSS is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 07-22-2005, 11:32 PM
AndrewMuadDib
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ajman
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck
While the bullbar from ARB is not the most inexpensive front bumper out there, there is definitely a few very good reasons for that, as someone else mentioned above. ARB takes the safety of you and your vehicle very seriously. Those that spout off that there are better bumpers made for cheaper is a pretty tough statement to make-I question how they are any better. Yes, you will definitely find cheaper, but could somebody please define "better" for me when it comes to a bumper?

My guess is that weight is going to be one of the first thoughts to someone that considers anything else "better". ARB is heavy-and I believe the 85 lbs. comment above is a little on the conservative side-mine weighs in at almost 100 lbs. exactly. So, yes, you will definitely find lighter as well. Does that make it any better? I don't know-does it? For those looking at the ARB bullbars and considering any of the alternatives, please take the time to look further into the research and development that goes into an ARB bullbar. If you can find it, look at the extreme testing that is done-stress, fracture and crumple as well as crash testing.

Also, the bullbars are designed for impact with kangaroos-which consequently weigh in about the same as a deer here. The bullbar is designed to take the impact and transfer the energy through the chassis, again, so your air bags don't blow. Will a regular piece of channel, or square tube do that? Who knows. My rig is a daily driver that also sees heavy off-road use. I like the idea that the bumper will take the impact of a deer that are all over around here, and should I hit one-will not blow my airbag and have insurance deem my Jeep "totalled" because of it. For me, the research, development and testing is definitely worth the cost. Plus, I also think it looks great on the front, holds my XD9000i just perfect and also fits my IPF 900XS lights for nightime highway driving across the mountain passes. For me, the bullbar works great and is what I would consider the "best" for my needs. For a rockcrawler though, it would definitely NOT be the best for his/her needs. Something smaller, lighter, more compact would be more beneficial there, and probably be "best" for that situation. I'd recommend thinking about what exactly you want out of the bumper, what you will do with it, and go from there.

Off my soap box now, Best of Luck with whatever you decide!!!

Mike
Better = higher quality materials - thicker steel, and a stronger design. The ARB uses 1/8" steel in a nice wavy pattern that imparts no strength. Many other bumpers are designed for much greater strength and nearly all use 3/16" steel.

The ARB brags about airbag compatibility, and all the testing, which I fell for. What they don't tell you is if you take a hit between the framerails below 5 mph you should plan on replacing the bumper and winch. It's not a weak design - it's a REALLY weak design. Any hit outside of the framerails you stand a much better chance of being ok - that's the good news. Also, 85 pounds isn't much, although I don't remember mine being nearly that heavy. Maybe I grew stronger.

If you're looking for a strong full width - look to Poison Spyder, Hansen, and others, I know Shrockworks will have one out in a few months. They are better designed and stronger than the ARB. You pay for 3 letters with an ARB, not groundshaking quality.

Center of mass of kangaroos is very low, center of mass for deer are very high. You need a strong bumper to keep on trucking after hitting a deer, and after seeing my ARB crumple like tinfoil I know I don't ever want another one.
AndrewMuadDib is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 07-23-2005, 12:30 AM
TQ_xvi
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,013
Road Armor
www.roadarmor.com

Runs about 560 (+Shipping)


-XVI-
TQ_xvi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
antenna alternatives? jr1966 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 34 06-24-2008 07:34 PM
Alternator alternatives? Brokagain YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 01-14-2008 08:16 AM
Alternatives kc_jeep TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 1 11-21-2006 04:34 PM
$645 shipped best price people found on ARB bull bar? Firefighter2904 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 11-21-2004 09:03 PM
Alternatives to ATF+4? Claw TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 01-26-2004 02:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome