Anyone running the nth degree coils? - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
sKels130
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Anyone running the nth degree coils?

I looked all over about these coils, and I've found a lot of positive reviews from before they were bought out by AEV and the spun off.

So here's the questions I have:

1. Are these still any good? They seem to be extremely popular with those that have them. If not, what coils do we like these days? I looked at the savvy, but most seem to complain that they sag, and I've looked at the MetalCloak, and they're too tall if you have a light jeep ( I do), so what else is good? I know OME is great, but I really want to keep a full 3 inch lift, mostly due to issues that I would have to correct if I did a body lift (manual transmission, thicker radiator, etc), as well as the extra (theoretical) flex.

2. The more important bit, what shocks? I've heard some do OME, some do bilsteins, and I've really leaned towards the Rancho 9000xl (I think XL is right), but wanted to know what people had going on. Bumpstop info appreciated, otherwise I guess I figure it out. I'm intruigued to relocate the shock brackets, but I don't have a welder, and realistically wouldn't be able to have it done more than likely (Daily driver problems)

To go ahead and address the questions people will have: I currently have a 3 inch cheap skyjacker lift (might be sitting a bit closer to 3.5, I didn't measure), which I knew I would replace after a while, but it got it up for the bigger wheels, and it works, its just really rough. I have 33/12.5/15s on the jeep, with spacers on factory rims, and I like the size for a DD. I might go to 35s later in life, but that would be with an SYE, tummy tuck, body lift, flat fenders, etc, so I think I could squeeze them under a 3 inch lift if I take enough Jeep off of my Jeep. But that would be after another 2-3 years more than likely.

I have adjustable track bar (metal cloak), TC drop currently, sway bar extensions/disconnects, but still on factory control arms. I'm eyeing the MC control arms, with those fancy bushings, but that again, would more than likely be when I needed them for an SYE, etc.

tl/dr shocks with nth degree 3 inch coils? which ones?

2006 Wrangler Sport
4.0L, 6 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nth stuff seems to have fallen out of favor around here. Their suspension systems are quite elaborate. My memory is that they where surprisingly short springs compared to other options like Currie/Savvy. If you are relocating the shock mounts, then you want the longest coils you can find that give the ride height you are after. Part of the goal being to have enough spring travel to match the added shock travel. That is why I went with Currie 4".

With regard to shock and bump lengths, you are on your own there. Pull the coils and cycle the suspension to find out what you need. If relocating shocks is at all a serious consideration, you need to know how to do this anyway.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
sKels130
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Understood. I wasn't sure what kind of info people had (I know they were also unavailable for a time). As far as relocating shock mounts, I doubt I will, I was just curious to see what people had to say about it (besides its better, I figured that out based on research). The main issue I had with the Currie/Savvy coils is everyone saying the 3 inch lift coils netted them closer to 2-2.5 inches. It seems worrisome to buy 4 inch coils and hope they compress/settle to 3 inches without causing vibe issue, etc on a DD jeep.

But thanks for your response! I WANT to like the currie/savvy coils, but I just see so many complaints for the height I want :/

2006 Wrangler Sport
4.0L, 6 speed

post #4 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 09:24 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
The Curries have been in for a couple months, with the rears being installed a little longer than the fronts. And my Jeep is a daily. They did settle during the first 1000 miles, but all seems to have stabilized. Last I checked about a week ago, the front was sitting at 17", the rear right at 12". My setup has always been a little troublesome due to the extra heavy tire carrier. I actually run the longer Currie LJ coils in the rear to support the weight.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can't go wrong with the Rancho 9000XL shocks. You adjust them to suit your needs. I just got a full set of slightly used ones for $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 09:53 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
To compare free legths...

................Front...Rear
Nth 3".......20.75...14
Currie 3"...20.25...15.75
Nth 4.5"......xxxx...xxx
Currie 4"...22.6....17.75

I don't have the lengths of the Nth 4.5" springs. If someone posts them, I'll edit my list. For fun, it would be nice to see the free lengths of Metalcloak as well

2003 Rubicon

post #7 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 09:55 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKels130 View Post
To go ahead and address the questions people will have: I currently have a 3 inch cheap skyjacker lift (might be sitting a bit closer to 3.5, I didn't measure), which I knew I would replace after a while, but it got it up for the bigger wheels, and it works, its just really rough.
It's rough because of the shocks, not the springs.
Shark_13 and jjvw like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
sKels130
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You can't go wrong with the Rancho 9000XL shocks. You adjust them to suit your needs. I just got a full set of slightly used ones for $100.
Well that's a steal! Wish I had found that deal. Haha. And I'm sure the lift I have is mostly just rough due to the shock choices, but I want to find shocks that will match the coils I want to go with.

I was actually mostly trying to figure out which direction to go with the shocks, and then I guess what length.

Also, interesting to see the fronts coils are basically the same length, but the rears are shorter.

2006 Wrangler Sport
4.0L, 6 speed
post #9 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
sKels130
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
To compare free legths...

................Front...Rear
Nth 3".......20.75...14
Currie 3"...20.25...15.75
Nth 4.5"......xxxx...xxx
Currie 4"...22.6....17.75

I don't have the lengths of the Nth 4.5" springs. If someone posts them, I'll edit my list. For fun, it would be nice to see the free lengths of Metalcloak as well
Also, do you have the 4" currie coils?

2006 Wrangler Sport
4.0L, 6 speed
post #10 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 10:17 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sKels130 View Post
Also, do you have the 4" currie coils?
Yep. You even quoted them.

2003 Rubicon

post #11 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
sKels130
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well I'm just dumb! haha. I'm curious how much more they will settle and how tall over stock you end up! I know they ride nice, it's just weird to buy an inch taller than intended!
post #12 of 18 Old 08-06-2017, 05:43 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Strategy for buying coils IMO is to get the lightest spring rate you can that still achieves the ride height you want. Savvy's whole philosophy is about building jeeps light. Does not surprise me if their spring rate is designed for that. If people throw them on a heavy jeep then of course they would yield less lift. I've been running their 4" springs for several years and I believe I got 4" of lift and it hasn't changed.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
sKels130
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well I went ahead and ordered the rancho shocks, see where that puts my ride. Only time will tell with which coils I go with. I'm really between the Currie, nth, and metalcloak coils still. I just worry about the curries sagging down, especially with 33s being a tight fit under a 3 inch lift already.
TheBoogieman likes this.

2006 Wrangler Sport
4.0L, 6 speed
post #14 of 18 Old 08-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Joedert
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have Nth 3" coils and Rancho 9000 shocks. Great ride for a dd. Can't go wrong. I also got the LJ rears. Added another 1/2" maybe on my TJ.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-07-2017, 03:39 PM
BigAl4102
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did have the Nth 3" coils on my lj. They are designed for a heavy jeep, with lots of armor and cargo, and for towing. The rears give a firm supportive ride. The fronts are all around good, in my opinion, they are a better front spring than the currie, unless you are really light. They are a great spring if that's what you are after. I decided to go on up to 4", so I have some used 3" Nth for sale in the classifieds.

Shocks are probably the biggest component in ride quality, but that is a very subjective area, I find the 9000xl to be on the firm side, combined with the already heavy rate of the Nth spring you might find the ride to be harsh without some extra weight.

It's a crapshoot to recommend shocks over the Internet, but I find a non gascharged shock like the plain old rancho 5000 for our light weight rebound sensitive jeeps.

Tags
lift , nth degree , shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in