Anybody used Powertrax Lockers? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody used Powertrax Lockers?

My Dana 35 spider gears are on their way out. Considering putting a Powertrax locker in instead. Anybody had any experience with these?

I do have a Track Lock axle, so I'm not sure if the two would fight each other or if the track lock does the same thing the Powertrax would.

I have heard from one or two people that they put excessive wear on the diff and make on road driving a terrifying experience. True?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

What you have now is a LSD, not a full time locker. The Powertrax no-slip locker is a good choice as far as lunch box style lockers are concerned. However, I wouldn't lock the Dana 35, it's prone to breaking. A full time locker in the rear is tolerable on the street as long as you don't mind the little bit of bucking/jumping you can get when turning sharp.. like into a parking space. It's more tolerable if you have an Auto.

2006 Solar Yellow LJ Rubicon

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Instagram @Jwinecoff
post #3 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 AM
otisdog
2008 WK 

Before you throw money into it be sure that there's not also problems with the ring & pinion and carrier bearings etc. If there's more problems look around for a complete d35 with 3.73 gears.
If it is just the spider gears I'd buy that set of gears and clutchs in the other thread and slap them in.
As said don't lock the d35. The Powertrax is a great lunchbox locker but a locked d35 is just asking for trouble.
Jim

08 Grand Cherokee Overland

post #4 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Go for it, you are at an increased risk of breakage, just remember when you are wheeling to not let the rear end bounce, the bounce and grabbing traction breaks axle shafts.

I have 4 new zone hydro shocks for sale...PM for a price.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have the Powertrax LockRight in my front axle and highly recommend it.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
gjeffers72
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have had them in my K5 for 12 years, i have no grabbing or jerking in the rear at all, just clicking! The front i just unlock the hubs and go! Work great on road. Buy it!
post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Powertrax lockers like the No-Slip and Lockrite are very good, though I would only install them up front. Your stock rear Dana 35 is not strong enough for a locker, period... despite some saying it's ok if you "take it easy" on it which I consider bad advice. The only way a Dana 35 can be fairly reliable once a locker has been installed into it is by having also installed aftermarket hardened alloy axle shafts. The Dana 35's factory carbon steel axle shafts like to snap once a locker is installed.

Check out this webpage for some Dana 35 breakage photos from having run a locker or too big of a tire... http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjeffers72 View Post
I have had them in my K5 for 12 years, i have no grabbing or jerking in the rear at all, just clicking! The front i just unlock the hubs and go! Work great on road. Buy it!
That's because it's a K5.. In a short wheel base Jeep, it is much more noticeable.

2006 Solar Yellow LJ Rubicon

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Instagram @Jwinecoff
post #9 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 AM
OrlandoTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been using PowerTrax for years in my 2001 TJ (with D35) and have over 60K miles on it without any issues. I purchased it back when I was just learning about lockers/Jeep etc.

That said please note that
1) I do mild trail riding enjoying the outdoors; but have done more advanced rides with good ride guides and very easy on the pedal without any issues AND always aware that the D35 is the weak link
2) I have stock wheels running 31" BFG All Terrain tires; Any larger tire I would NOT put in any locker
3) It is installed in the rear, would I do that again? No. would definitely put it in the front

Great product if you know its limitations
hope that helps
take care
post #10 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
gmiller0737
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have been running the Powertrax No Slip Locker in My formerly open Dana. 35 for. 2 or 3 years with no breakage issues so far only running 31" Duratrac's & yes I know 35's are weak but for the super low price I paid for mine used I thought I would chance it I only Trail ride & no rocks in Florida to crawl
post #11 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Varnish

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
I have the Powertrax LockRight in my front axle and highly recommend it.
Ditto but wouldn't put it in d35.

'06 LJ, '05 LJ
post #12 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ditto to what Jerry and others have said. I would not put it in the rear. I did put the PowerTrax No-Slip in my front, and it is terrific there. See the write up I did about it, which is in my sig that you can see if you read this on a computer. Highly recommended for the front.

My do-it-yourself install thread for a TrueTrac in the rear, upgraded shafts, and a PowerTrax No-Slip in the front:

Tags
dana 35 , differential , locker , powertrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in