Any ideas on a tailgate lockbox for TJ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-10-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
tahoerob

Any ideas on a tailgate lockbox for TJ?

Hello everyone. I'm trying to find a lockbox that can mount to my TJ's tailgate for storage. I don't want to permanently block the area behind the backseat (as many solutions do). Tuffy makes a tailgate lockbox for the JK and JL, but not the TJ.

Does anyone know of a solution? Has anyone made something custom?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-11-2020, 12:52 AM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is all I could find that might work for your Jeep (I must be bored). They cover the area behind the rear seat (they don't attach to the tailgate):

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14147_0202_07.htm

https://www.extremeterrain.com/tuffy...e-9706-tj.html

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DVDVVXX

Tuffy used to make a box that fits between the back seat and tailgate. I found them for a YJ, but none for a TJ anymore.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-11-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
tahoerob

Thanks for the reply. I tried posting a more detailed response but I can't post anything with links or images, so I can't properly follow up.

The enclosures you posted are what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to block the back of the Jeep. I want the lockbox to be attached to the tailgate, so when the tailgate is open, the back is accessible. I don't always have my backseat in the Jeep. I tried to post some links and images that better illustrate my goal, but I wasn't allowed. Thanks again for your reply.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-11-2020, 12:23 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

How about bolting an ammo can to the inside of the tailgate? Most newer cans have provision to use a padlock on them to secure the contents, or you could install a hasp on it.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 9 Old 08-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
How about bolting an ammo can to the inside of the tailgate? Most newer cans have provision to use a padlock on them to secure the contents, or you could install a hasp on it.
I agree. If you have a good Army surplus store near you there are often times great deals on ammo cans and they come in all shapes and sizes. Depending on your tools and creativity you can make it removable, built like Fort Knox and permanent or anywhere in between.

Home brew stuff is often cooler, fits the bill better and is cheaper.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I put in a Tuffy drawer under the seat, it raised the seat three inches. it is a better seated position too. At the rear, I put velcro on the top of the drawer and used two tall ammo cans (w/velcro) on top of that, held by velcro. On the tailgate, I put a MOLLE web for soft cases. Works good for me.

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #7 of 9 Old 08-12-2020, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
tahoerob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I agree. If you have a good Army surplus store near you there are often times great deals on ammo cans and they come in all shapes and sizes. Depending on your tools and creativity you can make it removable, built like Fort Knox and permanent or anywhere in between.

Home brew stuff is often cooler, fits the bill better and is cheaper.
The ammo can is a great idea. After I posted my question, I came across a few ammo cans while searching for something I could DIY. I think an ammo can will work perfectly. Just have to find the right size. Thank you both for the suggestion!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-12-2020, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
tahoerob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I put in a Tuffy drawer under the seat, it raised the seat three inches. it is a better seated position too. At the rear, I put velcro on the top of the drawer and used two tall ammo cans (w/velcro) on top of that, held by velcro. On the tailgate, I put a MOLLE web for soft cases. Works good for me.
That's a nice setup! I looked at that Tuffy drawer online, so it's good to hear from someone who has actually installed it. I like the idea of a pull out drawer.

So it raises the back seat 3"? Is it still easy to remove the seat with the drawer installed? Do you need to drill new holes for the back seat brackets, or are brackets for the back seat somehow integrated into the drawer?

If the back seat is removed, can you sit on the Tuffy drawer? I like to sit on the back sometimes with the tailgate open, or use the back for setting up my camp stove, etc.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-14-2020, 09:18 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, 3" higher, has the advantage of a better seated position, your knees are lower, not up in your chest. One slight disadvantage is taller adults don't have much clearance above their head on the C pillar cross bar. The seat I have is a fold and tumble bestop trailmaxx. It leaves the back open enough but I put a harness bar across the back for the belts.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in