any broken dana 30 stories? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
bigV

2002 WJ 

any broken dana 30 stories?

I've seen a lot of dana 35 stories (I broke mine too), but not any on breaking the dana 30. post your story - what part broke, what you were doing, and some of your rigs specs that would have attributed to the break, pics would be nice too

02 WJ Limited - Daily Driver
95 SAS'd 4Runner - Trail Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My passenger-side OE D30 axleshaft broke after the u-joint pulled free and spun then clobbered the ears that hold the u-joint which broke up into multiple pieces too.

The first photo below was taken on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley was just before it broke while giving it a little too much gas to get over an obstacle while the steering was turned all the way left. Front axle u-joints are at their weakest when the steering wheel is turned very far either direction.

The next photo shows the broken ear (on top) but doesn't show the busted up u-joint. The non-hardened OE axleshaft ear usually gives way first when under hard stress followed by the u-joint breaking up as it spins free.

Replacing the OE axleshafts with hardened cromolly axleshafts like from Warn, Alloy USA, or Superior Axle is normally enough to prevent this from happening in the future, even with the same type of u-joint as I still use. I went with Warn's hub conversion with new hardened inner/outer axleshafts from Warn. No problems since doing that conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
08608860.jpg   088e9580.jpg   08bf1750.jpg  

Gone wheeling, back Monday.
When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 01:25 PM
snellav

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Although it wasnt my Jeep I experienced similar breakage in Calico a few months back. It was an XJ running 33's and a Lockright up front. He had the wheel turned full tilt, gave it some gas, and bang. Broke front U joint, hub, and axle shaft.

98 2 Door Cherokee SE 4x4 - Stock
00 TJ w/ D60s and lotsa other stuff - Gone but not forgotten

post #4 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
My passenger-side OE D30 axleshaft broke after the u-joint pulled free and spun then clobbered the ears that hold the u-joint which broke up into multiple pieces too.

The first photo below was taken on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley was just before it broke while giving it a little too much gas to get over an obstacle while the steering was turned all the way left. Front axle u-joints are at their weakest when the steering wheel is turned very far either direction.

The next photo shows the broken ear (on top) but doesn't show the busted up u-joint. The non-hardened OE axleshaft ear usually gives way first when under hard stress followed by the u-joint breaking up as it spins free.

Replacing the OE axleshafts with hardened cromolly axleshafts like from Warn, Alloy USA, or Superior Axle is normally enough to prevent this from happening in the future, even with the same type of u-joint as I still use. I went with Warn's hub conversion with new hardened inner/outer axleshafts from Warn. No problems since doing that conversion.

Now Jerry,did you do the same stuff before you broke your D35 rear, locked on 35's?Fess up That u turn at Walmart didn't break that(unless it was the 2 hour Christmas sale time and you needed a good parking spot(JK).You are the man
post #5 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 PM
wonderboy

Geez, and i was worried about my D35, now I am going to worry about my front end too. Anyone with some rich grandparents want to spread the wealth???
post #6 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

not the best pics, but this was on a guys YJ out on that SAME trail (Sledgehammer in JV), just last month. Busted the U-Joint and the ear. He had the stock d30 axle in front w/ 35" tires:

You can see here that the front end of the YJ was tucked in a nice tight spot! The guys (annonymous frequent JF visitors ) did a great job of swapping the axle shaft out in about 30-45 minutes.

-Bob
'98 Black TJ Sport 4.0L/Auto Trans
-(O|||||||O)-
my rig:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
post #7 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 PM
gearheadjlm

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the dana 30 on the yj's and xj's weaker then on the TJ's? I was to the belief that different spindles and axles shafts were used.

My D30 with a lock-right on 33's seems to be holding up great.

USMC
GOD - COUNTRY - CORPS
post #8 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadjlm
Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the dana 30 on the yj's and xj's weaker then on the TJ's? I was to the belief that different spindles and axles shafts were used.

My D30 with a lock-right on 33's seems to be holding up great.
YJ & XJ run their ring & pinions in a reverse rotation (because they are both high pinion) which means the gears are running on the stronger side when you're driving forward. The axleshafts are all 27 spline, spindles are the same so if you were to ask me, I'd say the low-pinion TJ D30 with its standard rotation gears is the less strong axle. The XJ D30 is actually a very popular bolt-in front axle upgrade for the TJ.

post #9 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 04:10 PM
gearheadjlm

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I see, I forgot about the XJ having the hi pinion. I could have sworn I read some where that the TJ's uses different u-joint and out axle shafts, but your the expert.

USMC
GOD - COUNTRY - CORPS
post #10 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Flash2004

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've never broken an axle or UJ, but I have busted a 4.56 ring and a 4.88 ring in my D30 front. I drive much more carefully now, less air and less gas pedal and still get in the hairiest and scariest of plaes.

Gordon Down Under
MT Egmont 4WD club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 TJ Sahara with about everything you can buy or make stuck to it.
check this out, this is my club activity.

My company
post #11 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadjlm
I see, I forgot about the XJ having the hi pinion. I could have sworn I read some where that the TJ's uses different u-joint and out axle shafts,
Early YJs and XJs used a smaller/weaker Spicer 260 u-joint, later models switched to the bigger & stronger Spicer 297 u-joint which is what the TJ comes with.

post #12 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 05:23 PM
snellav

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Early YJs and XJs used a smaller/weaker Spicer 260 u-joint, later models switched to the bigger & stronger Spicer 297 u-joint which is what the TJ comes with.
The XJ the broke down in our group was an 89 I believe

98 2 Door Cherokee SE 4x4 - Stock
00 TJ w/ D60s and lotsa other stuff - Gone but not forgotten
post #13 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Right after this:

...I decided to drive over it and use my sliders to slide over the rocks, but I got stuck.

Then, while trying to break free, with my steering wheel turned full lock driver's side, my stock u-joint broke, resulting in also breaking one of the ears on the outer driver's side shaft:

Luckily, there was a salvage yard in town that gave me a D30 driver's side shaft assembly. They had it sitting on a shelf in storage for a long time. As a general practice, they only sold complete axles, so they had never tried to sell the axle shaft.

So, with the rest of my group long gone from the trail, I drove my pickup back in and learned how to change the axle shaft all by myself. Fortunately, I had a 4WD Hardware catalogue with me that had the schematics of a D30 axle. And...I was good to go the next morning:

Had I not been stuck, with the steering at a full lock turn, pounding on the skinny pedal trying to get unstuck, I don't think I would have broke it with my 33" tires and front Detroit TrueTrac lsd.

Still, I have upgraded to hardened D30 Yukon shafts with Superjoints. And, I kept my stock stock shafts for spares.

post #14 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

as a general rule....all of the D30 breakages I have seen are at full lock one way or another....not to say it won't happen when head on (it will) but you'll have to give it more hell than you will while turning.

-0|||||||0-
He who hunts in a pack is still a dog. The lion hunts alone, and so do I. - Napoleon
Conducting an argument by appealing to authority is not using your intelligence; it is just using your memory. - Leonardo Da Vinci
post #15 of 56 Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
kd4yor
1997 TJ Wrangler 

chewed a few teeth doing a front dig after a bolt came out of the end plate of my OX.
All my fault for not getting things clean and dry before the locktite.

I don't have enough lift to "stuff a tire"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in