Another Savvy idea, recipe for good steering - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Another Savvy idea, recipe for good steering

I will add to this as we get more good pictures of parts. But, this should tickle some of you a great deal.

Take this-

Add some reinforcement to the outer faces-

Drill a hole for some more reinforcement-

Add another bracket to pick up the back side and clamp it to the axle tube-

Now you can anchor one end of the cylinder-

Throw some u-bolts through the spiffy little clamp, hook up some hoses-

Hook up the other ends of the hoses, tighten the clamp with the tires straight ahead, toss on your sticker to show how smart you are and you wind up with this. Almost Bolt-on Cylinder assist for the Currie Steering with some very Savvy parts from us and PSC.

A few preemptive answers.

No, it won't work with your stock steering linkage, stock pump, stock reservoir, or stock steering gear, don't even ask.

YES it must be run with our cooler set up and our very cool mount we built.

No you cannot yet get all the parts in one spot. You will order the Savvy Cylinder Assist kit from PSC and it will include the following-

Small bore steering gear that is already ported for cylinder assist.
Remote reservoir that has a -12 feed line port and a -8 return. (normal is -10 and -6) The feed line will only be offered at a max length of 14" so the reservoir will only be mounted as far from the pump as that allows.

Steering cooler that you will send to me and I will modify it to work with the mount. It will only come with -8 fittings and return line.

Specially modified 2206-Savvy cylinder with everything shortened to have a short collapsed length.

Cylinder hose and fittings field serviceable.

Pump with a -12 inlet and -6 pressure side.

hose for same

What you will get from us-

Cooler mount
cooler modification
Special -8 return line fitting into the steering gear
Special -6 pressure line fitting adapted to work with or without a body lift.
Reinforcement bracket package with hardware
Misalignment bushings that adapt the cylinder rod end into the stabilizer mount.
Draglink clamp mount with one new u-bolt as you will re-use the two u-bolts from your existing stabilizer mount from Currie and new lock nuts.

We will work on putting the whole package together if you desire it that way. We did it this way for those that already have the ported gear, pump, and reservoir and want to add assist.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
F9K9
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
OMG, Pure Wood!

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
post #3 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
TJeeper

Where's the picture of the cooler and mount?

That's my next project, still figuring out how I want to do it.

Looking good Blaine, I know you've been thinking about this for a while.

Patrick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
flying_bosun

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have nothing intelligent to say, so I'll just

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
post #5 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 04:23 PM
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Looks like an easy bolt on ram assist, that can be taken back off and moved to another jeep if you switch jeeps very often. What is the bore of the cylinder? for those of us that have never driven a jeep with ram assist, how does it change the way the steering feels?

Whats this setup cost? just curious, ill have to have something to save up for after i save enough for the 17 inch brake kit.
post #6 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for putting this together! I've been watching for this and it looks like you've hit another home-run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #7 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Kiwi

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm tickled. Great to see this finally coming together Blaine.
post #8 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
Looks like an easy bolt on ram assist, that can be taken back off and moved to another jeep if you switch jeeps very often. What is the bore of the cylinder? for those of us that have never driven a jeep with ram assist, how does it change the way the steering feels?
I don't know the bore size and don't really care. If it were smaller it wouldn't work very well and if it were bigger, you'd need more pump. So, it's just right.

If you can tell there is cylinder assist while you're driving it on the highway, then you did something wrong.

Quote:

Whats this setup cost? just curious, ill have to have something to save up for after i save enough for the 17 inch brake kit.
Don't know the costs yet. That's the first one to be installed and it was done to check to see if the parts needed much refinement. There are a few issues that need to be dealt with minorly. The biggest one is the big bracket needs a fair bit of re-work to be more installation friendly.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #9 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Don't know the costs yet. That's the first one to be installed and it was done to check to see if the parts needed much refinement. There are a few issues that need to be dealt with minorly. The biggest one is the big bracket needs a fair bit of re-work to be more installation friendly.
Do we need to speak with any specific person at PSC to order, or is their part of the setup in full production?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #10 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Do we need to speak with any specific person at PSC to order, or is their part of the setup in full production?
Lance at PSC will be the contact person for the kit.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #11 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM
JJeeper09

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice Blaine. Great setup. May be giving yall a call here soon
post #12 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 PM
55willystruck

Blaine-

Great to see this finally out. Looks great. Might be a bit, but I'll pick one up eventually... Great Job!!!

Best of Luck,

Mike
post #13 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Better get one ordered for the Test Mule!

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:

Like us on Facebook

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #14 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

"Special -6 pressure line fitting adapted to work with or without a body lift"

Is this to keep fitting from hitting the radiator on no lift applications? Reason I ask is I saw a fitting broken off a PSC pump by hitting radiator on a no body lift Jeep and I think they used a special elbow to gain clearance when fixing it.
post #15 of 352 Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
hustler905

2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is an excellent idea, once my steering box finally dies I will be looking to upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in