Another home-brew snorkel - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Giviner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another home-brew snorkel

Yeah, I know there's already a few guys who have done this, and I would like to thank them (i.e. bigchevyman24 and Kerndone) for their ideas. Mine is a little different, but accomplishes the same purpose.

Since I didn't feel like shelling out big bucks for an ARB snorkel, and i wanted something a bit unique I decided to make my own Hummer H1 style snorkel. So I hit up the plumming and vaccuum cleaner section at Canadian Tire. Here's an approximate parts list:

1 Mastercraft 2 1/4" vacuum hose
1 airbox from a 1991 Buick Century with the V6
2 Rubber plumming adapters 2"-3"
1 Universal shop vac adapter
1 piece of 2" ID ABS pipe
1 4" ABS plumming cap
1 packet of 4 angle brackets
1 tube of Automotive Goop (any heavy duty epoxy or adheisive will work)
1 small tube of clear silicone
4 stainless steel screws & acorn nuts
1 can tremclad flat black rust paint
1 6"x4" piece of thin sheet metal
1 ABS elbow 2" ID
1 18" piece of aluminum flat bar

Tools:
2.5" hole saw
2" hole saw
drill, screwdriver, random hand tools etc.

Note: I took a lot of these pics after the fact so some stages may show stuff completed that I haven't talked about yet.

So I cut off the air intake hose, used the 2"-3" adapter piece to go to the buick airbox, then the other 2"-3" piece to go from the airbox to the vac hose. I did have to cut a pice of the stock buick air horn to go between the airbox outlet and the 3" plumming adapter as the plumming piece was too large.

Took off the front cowl, then got out the 2.5" hole saw and cut the firewall just to the left of the grounding strap. I cleaned up the metal edges with a die grinder and hit it with some flat black tremclad.

Then I had to tackle the intake for the heater core, since it was in the way of my planned snorkel location. I chose to totally remove it and cover it with a piece of flat sheet metal. I then cut a hole in it closer to the firewall and clued the 90 deg elbow onto it. Now I had an intake for the heater that didn't obstruct the planned routing of my snorkel hose.

I moved onto the cowl. I took the hole saw out again an cut a 2" hole as far over to the edge as I could while still being able to bend the hose to fit. There is no real science to this just keep trying and see how much the hose will bend. The hose I got was a good one, not one of those cheapo plastic ones, this one was rubber with a metal wire support so it didn't collapse when bent at sharp angles.

I then drilled 4 smaller holes so I could bolt the shop vac adapter piece through the hole. I used a few washers to shim it so it stuck through the cowl a little more vertical than it otherwise would have. I capped off the screws with the acorn nuts and sealed everything up with silicone

Next up was to build the snorkel cap. I left approx 1" between the top of the 2" ABS and the 4" cap. I screwed the brackets to the 2" abs and glued them to the cap.

I hit it with some rocker guard to give it a bit of texture. I angled the bottom so that the top of the cap would be level once it was mounted. I also test fit it and ground the bottom down so it was sitting low enough on the cowl so I could flip the hood back against the windshield with no problems.

That's it, I put a bead of silicone around where the shop vac adapter poked through the cowl and slipped the cap on top.

Stuff not shown:

I used a piece of aluminum flat bar to brace the buick airbox. I attached one end to the stock bracket on the airbox, and the other end to the passenger side motor mount.

The vacuum tubing didnt seal tight where it went through the firewall so i sprayed some expanding foam in there and it sealed everything up nice and tight.

I think that's it, feel free to ask any questions.......overall its actually quite a simple mod. Let me know if there are any questions or if you guys want any more pics.

2003 TJ Sahara
2010 WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Giviner; 09-22-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: fixed some copying errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM
willbacker45

very nice now go test it
post #3 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Giviner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I plan to.........waiting on a new clutch at the moment however.

2003 TJ Sahara
2010 WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

nice job. I may do this at some point to my TJ. I like this better than up the windshield on my YJ

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU "Tank" Sport S
2002 Avalanche: To many mods to list
post #5 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Bigbob

Jeepguy, nice job. You should notice an increase in power and even mileage getting cold air. 2 suggestions, get a '05-'06 slip fit Intake Air Temperture sensor and put it in the intake tube. The stock sensor mounted in the intake manifold works like a heat sink and mounting it in the air tube really helps performance. Also, insulate the air box and air tube as that will allow the air to stay cooler coming in.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #6 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
brian674

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I like it!

Hummer style!!

I think it would be cool if there was a way to make the top of the snorkel telescopic, so you could have it at the necessary height when you need it, but down and out of the way when you don't.

Maybe I'm just dreaming.

'There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.' Sherlock Holmes
post #7 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 03:11 PM
BringThaPain
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good job, of all the home brew snorkels Ive seen, this is TOPS.
post #8 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 03:14 PM
SpoiledRotten

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is a good job. I'm thinking now.

Could you have gotten by using larger tubing from the intake to the breather box? That tubing just looks a little small compared to the tube from the box to the manifold. Also, did you fasten the cap to the tube to the piece coming through the body of your Jeep? If not, you might want to secure it with a couple of sheet metal screws or something to keep if from becoming air born during highway trips.

Stilll like that set up.. Very clean and not as "visual" as those that go up the windshield. I like!

Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member

Last edited by SpoiledRotten; 09-22-2008 at 05:53 PM.
post #9 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Giviner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
That is a good job. I'm thinking now.

Could you have gotten by using larger tubing from the intake to the breather box? That tubing just looks a little small compared to the tube from the box to the manifold. Also, did you fasten the cap to the tube to the piece coming through the body of your Jeep? If not, you might want to secure it with a couple of sheet metal screws or something to keep if from becoming air born during highway trips.

Stilll like that set up.. Very clean and not as "visual" as those that go up the windshield. I like!

I would have used larger hose but the only size available was 2.25", there was nothing bigger that. Ideally I would have liked to use 3" if it was available. THe biggest issue is that the adapter where it goes through the cowl necks down to just under 2" diameter so that is my biggest restriction. However, the stock intake horn does the same thing so I don't suspect it will affect it much.

The cap is attached to the adapter and to the hood using silicone. It's on there nice and tight but if I ever did want to take it off a few solid twists and it would come free. That was my main reason for using silicone and not a heavy duty adheisive.

2003 TJ Sahara
2010 WK

post #10 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice, just cause I am nuts about it, do anything to avoid future rusting?

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
post #11 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Giviner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
Nice, just cause I am nuts about it, do anything to avoid future rusting?
The hole I cut in the firewall was sprayed with some flat black tremclad (rustoleum) paint and I put spray foam around it to weather seal it. for the hole in the cowl, I used silicone on both sides to prevent any moisture from getting at it. Also, the screw holes were also siliconed to prevent any rust from forming.

I honestly don't know how well it's going to prevent rust but I'm not super concerned about that. If it does rust through I'll just cut out that section of the cowl and replace it with some fresh metal.

2003 TJ Sahara
2010 WK

post #12 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 PM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good job, thinking outside of the box.
post #13 of 40 Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Rogue_Rubicon

NICE JOB

I plan to do the same thing. Dont feel like spending $500 on a Safari one..which is a bit much for some plastic...
Quote:
suggestions, get a '05-'06 slip fit Intake Air Temperture sensor and put it in the intake tube. The stock sensor mounted in the intake manifold works like a heat sink
were do u find this and is there a write up on it????
post #14 of 40 Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 AM
djt283

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice job. All the other DIY ones I've seen look like they are made of plumbing parts from Home Depot. By not running any of the hose outside of the body, you're looks clean. It's not much higher than the stock air box but it sure is a true CAI.
post #15 of 40 Old 09-23-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Giviner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

djt283, you're correct it's not a whole lot higher than stock (about 12") but the bonus is that the intake is back by the windshield which gives it less chance of sucking in a bunch of water when going into a mud hole or getting stuck a bit off camber........for example:

my buddy's YJ

and me after I lost my clutch a few weekends ago :

my jeep was fine as my intake is on the high side..........the YJ had a few cylinders full of water.

Also, Bigbob, I hadn't thought of that idea but it makes sense, I will look into it. Thanks.

2003 TJ Sahara
2010 WK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in