Another Center console Subwoofer Qustion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Bigz4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another Center console Subwoofer Qustion

OK, I have a 03' Rubicon which Ibought used and the Sub was already blown. In my infinite wisdom desided to have it reconed at a cost of 80$. Cheap compared to the 270$ to buy the new one. Well, would you believe that the Sub pops. Head unit settings Bass: low All other settings: Mid This occurs when volume is at roughly half (or my new full . I had about given up and thrown in the towel. I have done many hours of research. Forums, websites, Ect. and have found no resolution. Then yesterday on ebay I found someone selling a OEM center consol subwoofer resistor. I had to scratch my head: This could be the answer, but never on any of the other forums have I heard of this. Here is the qustion 1) has anyone heard of this 2) Do you know the oem part number (too small to read on ebay) 3) and could this resistor be the simple answer to the dreaded center console sunwoofer problems
THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
cwculver
2006 TJ Wrangler 

do your ears a favor... take the center console sub and use it as a magnet to pick up screws around the garage, then go buy ANY after-market sub and put it in a real box in the back, problems = solved, sound = infinitely better

make sure you get a decent amount of power or you won't hear it, also, make sure it's down firing
post #3 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 AM
robncar

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I do not see a subwoofer resistor listed in the OEM parts book.

The eBay item looks like a coil (inductor) to me, likely a "low pass" filter but I'm not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
inductor.jpg  

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-alignment-kit-steps-w-pics-2264465/

post #4 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwculver View Post
do your ears a favor... take the center console sub and use it as a magnet to pick up screws around the garage, then go buy ANY after-market sub and put it in a real box in the back, problems = solved, sound = infinitely better

make sure you get a decent amount of power or you won't hear it, also, make sure it's down firing
X 2.Piece of crap paper cone sub can't reproduce any decent sound.I bought this box for $50 and added MTX subwoofers and an amp and it sounds great and fits behind the rear seat.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 AM
lvjeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like the reconditioned sub was a waste. Replace it your self... it's easy. Here is a link on how to. I followed this to the tee. Even bought the cheap woofer. Sounds great for the money. Just remember, it's only a 6.5" subwoofer.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579589
post #6 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Bigz4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had considered the idea of an after marker solution, but over the years I have had 2 systems stolen from me. Now I just roll stock. I'll have to go to the local Jeep dealer on monday and see if I can find out more info.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 11:16 AM
cwculver
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i understand the fear of getting ripped off, i've had a system jacked from me as well

i arrived at the compromise of spending money on stuff that isn't so obvious/easy to steal, basically just an amp and better speakers

then i just add a cheap 10 in the back, one you don't care about getting stolen, it'll still sound great with everything else

i agree in not spending a fortune on jeep sound, too risky with all the scum in this world. i had an experience a few weeks ago that made me livid. i was walking to my jeep in a parking lot (top was down) and i see this guy walking around it and looking inside, obviously looking to take something because he sees me and immediately turns around and starts walking away. thought that was the end of it until he decided to come back and ask me for money! i just told him no in a very rude way then he says all he needs is gas, so i told him i didn't have any gas on me and he started goin off on me. yeah, like i'm gonna give you money after i see you trying to steal from me, wow
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Bigz4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm about to call the local dealer. Lets see what they have to say about this resistor/coil inductor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in