AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant

Has anyone tried this stuff sounds like it rocks except for the price I wonder if this will be good for a TJ?????

AMSOIL - Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant (ANT)

Product Description
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant (ANT) is formulated to provide benefits far beyond those found in today’s conventional antifreeze and coolant products. This revolutionary formulation provides maximum antifreeze and cooling protection in the most extreme temperatures and operating conditions. And unlike conventional ethylene glycol-based products, which are highly toxic and even fatal, AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant is formulated with propylene glycol. It is biodegradable and requires no special disposal costs or procedures in most areas. Above all, its low toxicity limits the threat to children, pets or wildlife.

AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant provides even greater benefits:

Lasts Longer
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant contains a proprietary poly organic acid technology. It eliminates the need for supplemental coolant additives and recharging cooling systems. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant provides extended service life in all gasoline and diesel vehicles. It can be used for seven years or 250,000 miles in passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and recreational vehicles. It lasts seven years or 750,000 miles in over-the-road diesel trucks. Also for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and closed marine applications. AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant lasts longer than conventional products.

Compatible With Other Fluids
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant is dyed neutral yellow and is compatible with all ethylene and propylene antifreeze and coolant formulations on the market, including DEX-Cool®, Sierra® and Zerex®. It is also compatible with fully formulated diesel anti-freezes and other organic acid technology (OAT) and hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulations.

Stops Leaks
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant adheres to metal. It self-seals hairline cracks in welds and seams to prevent leaks, without additional stop-leak products or fibrous materials.

Prevents Metallic Corrosion
Independent tests reveal AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant surpassed standards for metallic corrosion. It plates metal to protect even when exposed to acids and salt spray. Standard allowances for loss in aluminum and solder are less than 60 mg. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant lost 0 mg in aluminum and less than 6 mg in solder.

Standards for iron, steel, copper and brass allow a maximum loss of less than 20 mg. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant never exceeded a 3 mg loss in any of those metals in a testing period that was run for 10 weeks, three weeks longer than required tests.

• Formulated for heavy duty and automotive applications

• Good for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and some marine applications

• Extended drain intervals

Up to seven years or 750,000 miles in Class 8 vehicles

Up to seven years or 250,000 miles in pleasure vehicles

• Universal compatibility

• Safe, biodegradable, non-toxic, non-polluting

• Aluminum engine block compatible

• AMSOIL antifreeze is silicate and phosphate free

Beep Beep, who got da keys to the JEEP???
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you need to stick with HOAT...get Zerex G-O5, Ford or Mopar HOAT.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Last edited by Unlimited04; 06-06-2010 at 10:13 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 AM
TheFog

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
that looks like prop-glyc...OAT...basically DexCool.

thats a good way to destroy your radiator.

you need to stick with HOAT...get Zerex G-O5, Ford or Mopar HOAT.
Dex-cool is NOT propylene glycol its ethylene glycol based coolant. What makes Dex-Cool such a problem is the corrosion inhibitors they add to the ethylene glycol.

Ethylene glycol is a superior coolant in every way when compared to propylene glycol except for oral toxicity IE drinking it. Ethylene glycol has better heat transfer abilities, less surface tension and lower viscosity than propylene glycol.

Propylene glycol also doesn't have near the service life or long term PH stability that ethylene glycol does (it turns acidic allot sooner).

Stick with a good ethylene glycol based coolant (Zerex G-05 HOAT) and leave the propylene glycol based ones to the food processing plants where it was originally designed for use.

FOG

post #4 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I usually use the green stuff prestone coolant so zerex is a better coolant for a 97 TJ?

1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
post #5 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Despite Amsoil's over-the-top hype, their products are no better than any other good quality similar purpose products. The problem is they cost far more than similar quality products so personally, I won't buy anything from Amsoil.

Amsoil would love for us to believe that only they are capable of manufacturing good quality products but nothing could be further from the truth.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks Jerry

post #7 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Vanquish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Dex-cool is NOT propylene glycol its ethylene glycol based coolant. What makes Dex-Cool such a problem is the corrosion inhibitors they add to the ethylene glycol.

Ethylene glycol is a superior coolant in every way when compared to propylene glycol except for oral toxicity IE drinking it. Ethylene glycol has better heat transfer abilities, less surface tension and lower viscosity than propylene glycol.

Propylene glycol also doesn't have near the service life or long term PH stability that ethylene glycol does (it turns acidic allot sooner).

Stick with a good ethylene glycol based coolant (Zerex G-05 HOAT) and leave the propylene glycol based ones to the food processing plants where it was originally designed for use.

FOG
Excellent advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Jeep's coolant system wasn't designed to use a propylene glycol coolant, which is inferior to ethylene glycol coolant in every way except it's toxicity.

Find and use a HOAT type coolant!
post #8 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Despite Amsoil's over-the-top hype, their products are no better than any other good quality similar purpose products. The problem is they cost far more than similar quality products so personally, I won't buy anything from Amsoil.

Amsoil would love for us to believe that only they are capable of manufacturing good quality products but nothing could be further from the truth.
rolls eyes,

we are priced competitively with almost all of our products when you are buying through the correct account. I know you are all knowing, Jerry, but w/o actually ever trying the products you are not capable of saying whether they are or are not better than anything else.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
rolls eyes,

we are priced competitively with almost all of our products when you are buying through the correct account. I know you are all knowing, Jerry, but w/o actually ever trying the products you are not capable of saying whether they are or are not better than anything else.
You do know that Ford has a TSB that specifically states do not use propylene glycol coolant right? They spec HOAT coolant just like Chrysler and there cooling systems are similarly designed for use of HOAT coolant. I have not dug around enough to see if Chrysler has the same type of TSB.

So in fact it is inferior product,and has been for many years as Amsoil is about the only place that still makes/sells the junk.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #10 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
TheFog

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm really surprised that Amsoil would put their name on coolant that used propylene glycol. Don't get my wrong I think Amsoil makes some really good oils. But I think they are getting a bit out there sticking their name on anything expecting people will associate the quality of their oils with that product.

On the other hand if you want some REALLY good LIFE TIME coolant, go with Evans waterless coolant. It runs as a zero pressure cooling system and its boiling point is over 400F. It also has excellent heat transfer and anti-corrosion properties, say goodbye to rusted and plugged up heater cores.

I know two Jeepers down here in Houston that run the waterless coolant and their temp gauge doesn't ever get over 210F. Its good stuff you just have to THOROUGHLY clean the cooling system before using it.

FOG
post #11 of 16 Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

http://www.teamcapri.com/recalls/tsd_psd/01-23-6.pdf

here is the ford tsb & the big reason they can't "recommend" propylene glycol is due to lack of data of aftermarket coolants. They want to sell you Motorcraft branded products. Also, they note that the use of a propylene glycol product will not void the warranty solely based on use. They are noting varying degrees of corrosion protection in the multiples of products as a reason for non use.

Amsoil notes their corrosion properties vs the standards set forth in the Data Bulletin for the product:
Standard allowances for loss in aluminum
and solder are less than 60 mg. AMSOIL Antifreeze
& Engine Coolant lost 0 mg in aluminum
and less than 6 mg in solder.
Standards for iron, steel, copper and brass
allow a maximum loss of less than 20 mg.
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant never
exceeded a 3 mg loss in any of those metals
in a testing period that was run for 10 weeks,
three weeks longer than required tests.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1156.pdf

take that any way you like.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
rolls eyes,

The fact you ONLY show up in JF to push/defend your Spamsoil crap means we should all really trust your claims and the Amsoil propaganda. Right.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
tjsean0308

1999 TJ Wrangler 

and I run some amsoil products one of my buddies as work gets it for cost

post #14 of 16 Old 06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post

and I run some amsoil products one of my buddies as work gets it for cost
There is nothing wrong with Amsoil products and in many cases they are worth looking for. But for things like coolants, they make no better coolants than anyone else does. Personally, I doubt Amsoil actually makes any coolant anyway. They likely just relabel someone else's coolant.

What I don't like about Amsoil and its MLM marketeers is the ungodly hype they repeat and how they push Amsoil's stuff as superior to anything else.

post #15 of 16 Old 06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
tjsean0308

1999 TJ Wrangler 

was the best deal I could find for the syncromesh type fluid for my trans. I agree about the hype and so does my buddy from work. definitely need a few grains of salt to read their product catalogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in